1963 Buick Riviera second time around

SwedeDownUnderR63

Hi All,

This is my first append to the Riviera Forum. Let me introduce myself:

I bought my first -63 Riviera in Sweden in 1976 at the tender age of 19. It was my second American car (a 1966 T-Bird was my first) and the Riviera was so much better on the road then the Ford.

Lots of things had to be fixed on the Riviera and, being rather unpractical, I was lucky to have met a young woman that was/is a welder by trade. She spent many hours fixing rust on the car. The engine (401) and the Dynaflow transmission was renovated (I have a very nice mechanically inclined brother in law, in fact there are two of them) and the car was finally painted in red flake. I had that car for 6 years until I regretfully had to sell it.

The registration number on that car was DPL 846 in case it still is running around in Sweden and is owned by a ROA member. The old car (before the red flake):

post-155199-0-70430600-1449888429_thumb.

I have always missed my Riviera and finally (a few months ago) I bought another 1963 Riviera from Nick Lo Presti in Sydney (Australia). So now I have the pleasure again to drive a car that I always loved although it feels somewhat strange to ride on the left hand side of the road Down Under with a car that also have the steering wheel on the left hand side.

I had the new car at the American Car Nationals in Queanbeyan in November and we got the Best Survivor price. I assumed that it was the car that deserved the price and not me, you never know at my age. Thank you Nick as I haven’t done anything more than bought the car. Proud nutty owner:

post-155199-0-49006200-1449888447_thumb.

The car came with all the Chassis and Body service manuals (paper and pdf) and the rare original 1963 owner’s manual (as new) together with the 1963-2006 service records from Portland, Oregon. Jim Cannon supplied me (thanks) with the 1963 BUICK Service Bulletins and the 1963 BUICK master parts book. I just need another 10 years to read it all (although I had the Chassis Service Manual in Sweden before so I do recall some of it).

Anyhow, the car is in OK shape but I will do a couple of changes/upgrades that I intend to document (possible not in this order and it will take some time to get all done as I also would like to drive a little in the Australian summer). Thank you for all the good appends in the Forum that has assisted me a lot in this planning and selecting what to do and from where to get what I need.:

• 3-point seat belts both in the front and in the rear. (Sorry, I used to work for Volvo in Sweden and yes I know that this will never become a modern car..). I need an Engineering Certificate for this in Australia and the engineer is picky (in a good way) so it will look somewhat different to what I have seen in the Forum. I will post pictures later of what my wife (yes it is the same woman as mentioned above) is creating for this. I have bought the seat belts from Seatbelt Solutions in Australia as they need to conform to Australian standards...
  • A dual MC (Aussie made thanks to Tony Gentilcore) but I will keep the Drum/Drum setup as the brakes are really good, waiting on some tools from Eastwood for this. I will also replace all the brake lines (thanks to Inline Tube). Engineering Certificate for the new MC…
  • Fix up the padding in the driver seat bottom and also new leather in that seat (Clark’s Corvair).
  • New 65 GS coils (yes, I know it is probably called something else) and Bilstein shocks (George Hussey). Coil Spring Insulators and Bumper Set from Classic Buicks (uncertain if the rear Bumper set that is for -64-70 will to fit a -63, anyone?). Original Performance Super Front End Kit from P-S-T. I will involve my mechanic for this as soon as I have all the parts, there is a limit to how much fun I can handle with the thumb in the middle of the hand.
  • I am waiting on front and rear sway bars from Tony Gentilcore to be delivered in January.
  • I also wait on a number of parts including a Brake Overhaul Kit (just in case) from oldbuickparts. Not the fastest to deliver (or come back on email) so far but hopefully good quality when the parts arrives. Would love to have the brake hoses soon… I might be somewhat spoiled from buying Volvo parts to my 940’s (daily drivers, I am Swedish …) from ipdusa, which website and order info/tracking is probably the best I have seen.
  • Repair the Windshield Washer Pump (not looking forward to this one, very tempted to put in another pump instead).
  • Maybe I should fix up the cruise control but that isn’t too important. This car is a pleasure to drive anyway.
  • Engine refresh: Timing Chain  and new improved Timing Chain Cover, new water pump possible a new oil pump and gaskets (small leak). To be looked at next year. Possible also a good oil pressure and water temperature gauge meter.
  • In a few years I need to look at Vintage Airs A/C (no A/C at all in my car) which I think is very much necessary in Australia. The amount of work that seems to be necessary to get that in place means that I will postpone that at least another year. I need to enjoy the ride first.
  • Might consider adjusting the driver seat position. My old Rivera had an power seat that was better in allowing for a more comfortable ride. If I could put a Volvo 940 seat in it I would… ;)

Comments/suggestions are welcome.

As mentioned we live in Australia, just outside of the capital (Canberra) on a small hobby farm in a straw bale wall home that we built ourselves (mainly my crazy wife again as I was more responsible for the planning). Our straw bale house in case you like something different (superinsulated with tripple glass):

http://glassford.com.au/main/owner-builders-great-work/ (Huff and Puff, our straw bale wall builder)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.100121020063827.81.100001977870205&type=1&l=23e8defbf8

Jan Norback

1963 Buick Riviera

ROA #14917

Edited by Jan Norback (see edit history)

Welcome from one Jan to another Jan. (My parents came from Czechoslovakia). I too have a '63, a mostly original car in the original shade of Teal Mist, which is possibly your color but with a white leather interior. I'm the second owner and have had it for about two years, with steady improvements and a very sympathetic refurbishing with the emphasis on reliability and enjoyment. Welcome to the ROA forum - there are very helpful members here, and I'm sure they will be of assistance with any questions you may have.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations on your trophy. 

I can't remember if I asked you to send me an article about your Riv for the Australian Riview e-magazine yet but what you have posted here is suitable if you don't mind.

Maybe just send me the higher resolution pictures you would like to go with your article.

Let me know if you've received your sway bars yet.  I'll get a tracking number if you haven't.

Jan,

Here's you data plate decoded.  You probably know how to figure out the build date and what the FB number is.

D - provisions for a radio.  Could have been one of four - AM w/ manual antenna, AM w/ power antenna, AM Wonderbar w/ manual antenna, or AM wonderbar w/ power antenna.

S7 - remote mirror

I7 - EZI glass - windshield only  (I haven't seen many of these)

U7 - power windows.

TRIM 788 - black leather

Paint PP - Teal Mist.

Other options such as tilt wheel, cruise control, etc that could be "dropped" in without modifications to the body are not listed on the data plate.  There's a complete list of '63 options and prices on the ROA website.

Jan,

Here's you data plate decoded.  You probably know how to figure out the build date and what the FB number is.

D - provisions for a radio.  Could have been one of four - AM w/ manual antenna, AM w/ power antenna, AM Wonderbar w/ manual antenna, or AM wonderbar w/ power antenna.

S7 - remote mirror

I7 - EZI glass - windshield only  (I haven't seen many of these)

U7 - power windows.

TRIM 788 - black leather

Paint PP - Teal Mist.

Other options such as tilt wheel, cruise control, etc that could be "dropped" in without modifications to the body are not listed on the data plate.  There's a complete list of '63 options and prices on the ROA website.

Hi Ed,

Thank you. Yes, I have already looked at the ROA website.

One question: what is EZI glass? Is it some kind of security glass?

• 1 month later...

Well done Jan. It will work best when combined with the heavier front bar we supplied. You should notice a big improvement.

Hi Tony,

Thanks, yes the front sway bar is to be installed, probably at the same time as the new coils and shocks are going in. But first I need to drive a little, I so enjoy this car.

Hi Jan,

The prize was for the car, though you may get lucky next time.

Interested in your photo of the red Riviera on your signature panel. Are they Cragars that are fitted?

Interesting as I also have a 63 down under ( Encounter Bay, South Australia) and these wheels or similar may be something I fit after all the other " automotive silliness" has been paid for ( mundane things like brakes and radiators and timing gears and water pumps and ..........) .

Although the 65 wheels look good on 63/64 every one who has one thinks so too, so would like to do something a little different but still stay within that style period, in other words 15inch wheels by 6inch or 7inch perhaps, definitely nothing bigger!

Did you have any other photos you could post?

Kind regards

Rodney

Hi Jan,

The prize was for the car, though you may get lucky next time.

Interested in your photo of the red Riviera on your signature panel. Are they Cragars that are fitted?

Interesting as I also have a 63 down under ( Encounter Bay, South Australia) and these wheels or similar may be something I fit after all the other " automotive silliness" has been paid for ( mundane things like brakes and radiators and timing gears and water pumps and ..........) .

Although the 65 wheels look good on 63/64 every one who has one thinks so too, so would like to do something a little different but still stay within that style period, in other words 15inch wheels by 6inch or 7inch perhaps, definitely nothing bigger!

Did you have any other photos you could post?

Kind regards

Rodney

Hi Rodney,

The wheels on the red Riviera was on the car when I bought it. They had an "A" in the centre and I think they where Appliance wheels (this was in the 70s). They were probably not the best quality but I do think they look very nice on the car and I would possible look for something similar if go for new wheels.

I most likely have some more photos of the red Riviera somewhere but that would take time to find as they probably are in storage somewhere (no digital copies...) so: sorry but no.

Regards,

Jan

• 4 weeks later...

Coil springs and shocks

Changed from original (I assume) coil springs and shocks to the 1965 H2 handling option “GS Springs” and Bilstein shocks (from George Hussey). Keeping 225/70R15 tires on stock rim.

Height before:

• Front: 640 mm on both sides (=25”)

• Rear right 560 mm (22”)

• Rear left 550 mm (21.6”)

Height after:

• Front 650 mm (25.6) both.

• RR 565 mm (22.2”)

• LR 555 mm (21.85”)

Thus slightly higher both in front and back with a weird 10mm difference (~2%) between left and right rear both before and after the new springs.

As I understand it the stock springs should have given me 25” in front and 24” in rear with original tires. I should assume 1” lower with 225/70R15 tires (based on, from memory, an append by RivNut) which should have taken this down to 24” in front and 23” in rear. This makes the original 25” in the front a possible HD alternative and the rear stock original or? The new springs was expected to give me 24”-1” =23” in front and 23”-1” = 22” in the rear if I understand all appends and adjust for the modern tires. The rear looks fine except for the difference between left and right which was there also before the change. The front is 2.6” higher which I guess can be due to the fact that I think the new springs was made for an AC car while mine doesn’t have that option. Don’t know how much it will sink while settling in in the near future but I will later add an Vintage Air AC with all the upgrades that is to be done for that which is likely to lower the front further although I don’t know how much.

BTW if I load the front with more weight then I guess not only the front springs will go down but maybe there will be a difference in the load in the rear at the same time. The original AC setup would probably have put more load on the right front then the left front and possible this could assist in even out the load/height between the left and right rear. Speculation by someone that barely can remember load calculations many years ago…?

A few other things were changed at the same time such as upper and lower ball joints, front wheel bearings and the front sway bar. See old parts and sway bar and spring pictures (not a master piece photo). I also have some additional parts from p-s-t that might be used in the future but nothing really needed replacing (picture included). The old ball joints were spot welded which I assume was done in the factory on this 160000 miles car, they were a little bit bad so it was time for this. The front alignment was done as per the recommendations by RivNut in other appends.

This work was done by my mechanic who is the happy owner of a 1960 Impala and have worked on Rivieras before (not many of that kind of mechanics in Australia).

Comments are welcome, especially regarding the 2% difference in height for the left and right rear.

So how does it feel to drive it now? The changes are the upgraded sway bar in the front and the new one in the rear together with the new springs and shocks + the other parts in the front. It felt a little bit weird to start with and to a certain extent I do miss the more ship like way it handled before. It feels more like my Volvo 940 (sorry but that do handles very good) that also have Bilstein shocks than an old American car although the Buick do have a lot of the “feeling” it had before. I have spent 1.5 hours on the road so far and I am getting used to the much better handling and slightly stiffer ride. I can’t say that I feel a need for any adjustment of the steering ratio as it feels very good as is.

What is next to do? There is an oil leak but I think I will live with that for a while instead of trying to lift the engine to replace a gasket. 160000 miles and I doubt that the engine has had any internal replacements so I have to decide how much I should do with something that sounds good at this time. Suggestions are welcome.

Replaced parts.JPG

front sway bar and spring.JPG

p-s-t remaining parts for future.JPG

AC will add a significant amount of weight so ride height evaluations should probably come after complete installation.

The original Gran Sport cars with the H2 option rode lower than stock ride height, if that matters at all.

The factory sorted springs according to where they rated within the acceptable range and chose their placement, right or left, accordingly.  When there was a discrepancy in ride height the factory used shims to even the ride height. Occasionally on this forum, someone who is replacing original springs finds these shims and they post a question as to why only on one side.

Tom Mooney

13 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

AC will add a significant amount of weight so ride height evaluations should probably come after complete installation.

The original Gran Sport cars with the H2 option rode lower than stock ride height, if that matters at all.

The factory sorted springs according to where they rated within the acceptable range and chose their placement, right or left, accordingly.  When there was a discrepancy in ride height the factory used shims to even the ride height. Occasionally on this forum, someone who is replacing original springs finds these shims and they post a question as to why only on one side.

Tom Mooney

Hi Tom,

Yes, it will be interesting to see the final height later with the AC although that is a year or two away.

I thought that they only used shims in the front, the shop manual mention using additional spring insulators for the rear if needed. I just read about installing the rear springs and it talks about rotating the spring if necessary to locate spring end top either towards the rear (left side) or the front (right side). Is it possible to install this incorrectly such that there would be a difference in height as seen in my case?

• 10 months later...

Just a quick update on what has been going on since my last update.

• Some nice enjoyable driving, including to the 2016 Australian Buick meeting, has put a smile on my face.
  • I have put in water temp and oil pressure meters instead of the ashtray although it needs a little better finish at a later stage. Nice to see that oil pressure and temperature is good.
  • The problems that I had with the front bearings and the spindle knuckle combined with what my former mechanic did made me reconsider my initial thought about keeping the front drums. I bought a disk brake kit from Tony Gentilcore and it is all in place now after a few issues. Nice to have much better brakes when going to the beach (~800m or ~1500 feet height difference with some rather steep descents).
  • A new stereo is in place replacing the original but still looking classic.
  • I had the replacement skin for the passenger door repainted again as there where issues with the work.

There are other things that also should be done but it is summer here and it is fire season so I prefer to have the car drivable until it cool down a little.