1990 Black/Red Coupe

DAVES89

On the Little Rock Ar. Craigslist is a 1990 Black/Red Reatta. It has a number of pictures which show it to be in great shape with only 19000 miles. Price $6990. If you're looking for one, this might be one to go after.

Maybe someone can post it over here for us all to see.

A you pick yard near me [not Gibsons] got in a very clean 1989White/Red that I was sorely tempted to pull the interior from to put in the Black. But I instead sold parts to Kevin [kdirk] and now the car is crushed and gone.

But this is a really clean car and seems to be well worth the money.

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

Not to be a pedantic punk, but this is black/burgundy (ok, a shade of red albeit a dark one) being it is a 1990 car. Not terribly common, though I've seen a few around. True red interior was a 1991 only color and a very few were made black over red in 91; more were white over red. Heck, very few were made in 91 period. In any case this looks like a premium condition car at a fairly reasonable price.

For whatever it is worth, while I've come to like the burgundy more than I once did (I own two cars with it now), I still prefer the flame red interior offered in 1991. The burgundy of 88-90 screams 1980's GM and they offered that same color or a close variation in nearly every car they made down to the lowliest Chevy econobox. The Reatta flame red (and Corvettes had even brighter torch red, also of note) was much more unique and contrasts quite well with white, black, silver and even gunmetal grey exterior.

And I should thank Dave again for that interior he pulled and sent me. It likely saved my scrub 88 from ending up a parts car as it had an interior that was in shameful condition when I bought it. Now it is a respectable - though slightly rough around the edges - car again.

KDirk

• Like 1

No need to thank me. You actually saved me from spending more on a car I am using for a winter driver. My wife likes the idea I have a "hobby" but I am sure would have questioned me swapping out a perfectly nice gray interior for a dark red one.

That car was way too nice to end up in a salvage yard. It was only a "light" hit car, easily repairable...

My perspective is that GM was so deperate to emulate Euro luxury makes (who were very understated with their interior color offerings in the 80's and 90's) and shake their reputatuon for "rubbermaid" and gaudy interiors that they are now offering almost nothing but boring neutral interiors (nice though they may be in fit and finish). Apparently they decided that styling connoted quality and chose to imitate it; but they were late to the party. As has so often been the case the last 40 years they were followers rather than trendsetters.

Meanwhile I am seeing a LOT of BMW, Mercedes and some Lexus models with - of all things - RED interiors. Enough that it is now a clear trend in their offerings. Several I've seen were convertibles but also some sedans seem to be getting this. Go figure. Dark blue meanwhile (once a GM mainstay and not one that I much cared for) does not seem to be ascendant with any automaker.

A trendy color that has been off the menu for a while is dark green. Not only for paint, but Ford back in the 90's offered some green interiors (saw a new 90 something Mustang so equipped back then) and I keep expecting it to stage a comeback as a backlash against all the insufferable neutrality.

I do find the seeming re-emergence of brown as a popular car color to be a bit troubling. Growing up in the 70's and 80's my childhood was marred the memory of [too] many brown cars. I'm not eager for that trend to repeat, along with wide ties and bad hair styles (though some current fashions and hair styles are postiviely awful, so that seems to be something a constant irrespective of decade)

In any case, my posts will continue to be as long as mid-70's sideburns. You may read them at your leisure (suit).

KDirk

We all know that the 1988-1990 interior color that Buick called Red was more of a burgundy color.....and I think it looks quite nice with black.

Going back to the 1990 color break down that Marck did last spring,  there were 67 black coupes with standard red interior, and another 43 made with the 16 way option made in 1990...

$7000 for a 19,000 mile car seems like a great deal......the fact that it is a Reatta is even better.   Black with red interior just adds to the deal.

I paid 3k more than that for a 17,000 mile 1991 and thought I got a great deal.  Changed the tire immediately as they were the originals so add another $600

Yeah, this is probably the best deal I've seen all year on a Reatta. Not in the cards for me now, but almost wish it was doable. Not wild about black paint jobs as I've stated here a million times now (gets too hot in STL summers and too hard to keep it looking good) but had I the budget and space I'd consider it. Not many with miles this low to be found, certainly not at $7000.

KDirk