access to timing chain

fordmerc

I need description of how to access the timing chain on my '41 120.

Timing is off and looking at the valves opening hasn't resolved the concern, I want to check the timing chain position and cam/crank alignment. I am afraid that even after I remove the front clip, I cannot access and remove the timing chain cover since the motor mount is in front of it(?).  Can someone confirm that I must support the engine from below, remove the front motor mount and the harmonic balancer and then remove the timing chain cover?

Edited by fordmerc (see edit history)
  • Like 1

It's been a long time that I've had to do it but from memory I believe your own outline of what's needed was correct. In other words, yes, the motor mount is at the front and would probably have to be removed after supporting the engine from below but that should not be all that difficult with the front clip removed. I said "probably" because I'm not sure if there is clearance to access the cover's bolts with it in place or not as it's been too many decades that I last did it. Maybe you can do it by removing only the radiator rather than the front clip but it would be quite difficult. You will definitely need to remove the balancer and be sure to get some replacement gaskets if you do not have them already. I know that Olson's Gaskets sells them separately as I recently bought one for the steel plate to which the timing chain attaches from them.

Edited by Packard Don (see edit history)

I don't think you can really do this by just removing the radiator or if you can you'll be ambidextrous and a contortionist to be able to do so! Recently I removed my front clip to replace the timing case cover and a leaking front seal. Did it as you described after the front clip was off with a block of wood under the sump to jack and hold up the engine so the motor mount could be removed. Doesn't have to go up very far, just enough to take the tension off the rubber mounts themselves. Besides, unless you disconnect the exhaust pipe you'll be constrained by that not wanting to move as well as by throttle and gear linkages.

You can have a look at my blog, from about page 153 onwards http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2179&viewmode=compact&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=1520

Thank you both. I had the front clip off before to pull the engine for rebuild, but I got nervous when I thought about  how to get at the timing chain while the engine was in the car. Ozstatman's blog  continues to be a wonderful resource (I'd like to index it!)

OK, the front clip is off. Before I can proceed:

How do I get the bolt out that holds the harmonic balancer on? How do I hold the crankshaft or the balancer while I unscrew?

How do I pull the balancer off? The engine manual implies a special tool, but I need a practical solution.

I see no place to screw/anchor/grab a puller, nor do I see  a way to hold the balancer when I am unscrewing.

And, of course, how to I hold  stuff when I put it back together?

I'm sure these are basic questions but I can't figure out the answers.

Edited by fordmerc (see edit history)

Yes, put the car in gear with the handbrake on. Mine unbolted that way. On mine, luckily the balancer removed by hand after a good tug on it. But be careful, you don't want to stumble back with a heavy and breakable balancer in hand if it breaks loose suddenly.