1930 McLaughlin Buick model 47 battery tray/box

Jack E

I'm restoring a 1930 McLaughlin Buick model 47. Im sure this will be the first of many questions. Anyways I'm hoping someone may have a photo of a battery tray/box so I can make one. I would be interested in buying a used one too, if available. Thanks for the help!

Jack

I can try to take a picture of the battery box in my 1930 60 Series car. I'm not sure if they are the same, but it might be good reference. I've put the car away for the winter, so I might have a hard time getting a good picture in it's current tight quarters. What perspective would be most helpful?

That would be great! Two photos would work perfect. If you are able to take one looking up so I can see any seams. The second one at an angle showing two sides, either from the front or rear looking from the drivers side. But really whatever photos your able to get for me would be wonderful. Thank you very much!!

I couldn't get a picture that was even remotely helpful by crawling under the car, however, I think I have something better. I went through the photos from when my car was restored and found a few of the battery box out of the car. The original must have been in bad shape, because the shop fabricated a new one. Below are pictures of the top, bottom and one with the paint.

I hope this helps.

DSCF2753_zpssgbll3re.jpg

DSCF2754_zpsusfxpf8m.jpgDSCF3000_zpsf1uzyshc.jpg

• Like 1

I couldn't get a picture that was even remotely helpful by crawling under the car, however, I think I have something better. I went through the photos from when my car was restored and found a few of the battery box out of the car. The original must have been in bad shape, because the shop fabricated a new one. Below are pictures of the top, bottom and one with the paint.

I hope this helps.

DSCF2753_zpssgbll3re.jpg

DSCF2754_zpsusfxpf8m.jpgDSCF3000_zpsf1uzyshc.jpg

The battery box in my 1930 Model 68 is an original and looks exactly like this one.  Looks like they did an accurate job of reproduction.  I would expect the 40 series cars to share the same design.

Edited by michaelod (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks guys! My car was disassembled in 1977 by my father to be restored. There are boxes of parts in the rafters of the garage. I may find it now that I know what it looks like, if not I'll be able to fab one up. Thanks again guys for the photos and the conformation on it being correct!

Edited by Jack E (see edit history)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2017 at 2:58 PM, tomsupon1 said:

Hi Buick 64c. If you wouldn't mind I would like to see additional pictures and measurements. My box is almost non existent. 

Tom,

The box was put back in the car about a year ago. Unfortunately, it's really difficult to get good pictures once it's installed. I might be able to give you dimensions if you tell me specifically what you need.

Since Jack's picture is from less then a month ago, he might be able to offer more help.