Fuel pump 1931 Model 60

Claude Lavoie

Can someone help me with this. My '31 Buick has what appears a dual chamber fuel pump, sort of two pumps in one. I'm sure those who have seen one know what I mean. Now some previous owner disconnected the lower part of the pump, leaving the "in" and "out" open, therefore using only the top chamber to pump the fuel. Yet the pump works properly. So what is the purpose of the lower part of the pump as I point with my finger on the attached photo?

Thank you for your kind help.

Claude Lavoie

post-144915-0-20445600-1449016528_thumb.

Yes, it is indeed the vacuum side of the pump.  Anyone who has actually used vacuum wipers that operate from the intake manifold vacuum knows how they just stall when the throttle is increased.  Buick and others used this pump to provide a more constant vacuum supply.

The first time my son experienced how the vacuum wipers stalled in our 1952 Chevy pickup, he said we needed to install an aftermarket electric wiper motor.  I did not agree, and told him that I thought it would ruin some of the experience of driving an old truck.

I still feel that way.

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tommy Mallory

Do you have a 1908 Buick?  I have one and I could use a little advice.  Also, I have a 1952 Chevy Bel-Air Deluxe that I am going to sell.  How can I tell if the engine is a 216 or a 235?

Thanks.

I can chime in on the 216-235 engine. I have a 54 chevy 5 window truck. The 54s came with 235 with insert bearings as the earlier had the 216 with Babbitt. U can easily drop the oil pan and pull one rod cap and check. . there may be other was to tell but that's a good start.