1925 buick spark plugs

tonybuick

hi all just wondering what type of spark plug you are all using I am using champion w 18 and they seem to work ok I was using a different type but they were fouling up when working hard on hot days like driving for long distance

Tony:

I have been running Autolite 3076s in my 1925-25.  That was what was in the car when I bought it. Mark. Is the 3077 a hotter plug? Was the original AC Titan specified plug a 77L? A photograph in my 1925 Buick export manual shows a plug with a longer reach than the 11/16" from the gasket surface the 3076 has. I have a couple of AC Titans that look the same as this photograph with a reach of 1". They are 7/8" thread but with 1 1/8" hex which will not fit in the space on the head. The 3076 plug is a 7/8" thread with a 15/16" hex. I have an old 1936 Champion chart that has a # 6 plug specified for Buick up thru 1928. I have the old AACA Dave Chambers Buick articles from March/April 1971 and he makes no mention on what plugs to use only to widen the gap to 0.40 if you have lowered compression. Mine is down around 50 lbs.now.

Also note, all these plugs we are talking about here are far taller than the stock Titan plug that was very short.  These taller, modern plugs will short out to your spark plug cover unless you run with a boot or some sort of insulating material on the cover.  I razor cut 6 old 90 degree elbow boots on just the inside angle and slip/snap them on.  The cover holds them in place and they solved one of the problems the car first had when I bought it and one of the reasons the former owner sold it.  Cheap fix.

Autolite:

Autolite indicates the Heat Range with the last digit of the part number. For example, 3923 has a Heat Range of 3. The higher the number, the hotter the plug. The lower the number, the colder the plug.

For example, starting with part # 24 (Heat Range 4), If you want a colder plug you would use part # 23 (Heat Range 3), for a hotter plug you would use part # 25 (Heat Range 5).

Edited by Brian_Heil (see edit history)

And if you can find some AC 77L plugs you solve several problems in one plug.  You will have a hotter plug PLUS the Long reach characteristic and your engine should run happier with this crap that tries to pass for fuel these days.  I am running these plugs in the '20 and '22 and really haven't had any issues with the plugs.  Now the fuel, that is another story.  I went to an ignition seminar at the AACA Spring Meet in Lincoln, Nebraska last summer and the guy talked about indexing the plugs in the engine for better, more complete combustion in the cylinder.  When I put the new plug wiring on the '20 I am going to do that with the plugs and see if there is a noticeable difference.  Will let you know on here.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Well I do have some of those but they fouled too quickly if I remember correctly.  Easy enough to run them on the next tour and take the 3076s along under the front seat as back-ups.

It's a Buick pride thing, but I hate to raise my hood on a tour (knocking on wood here) except to check the oil at fuel stops.

The VMCCA Nickel Age Group I tour with every June has a gentleman's agreement that if your car gives out during the week, you ride in the back seat of another Tourist's car, but, you pay for his gas every day.  Let's just say I've had some free gas but have not had to buy anyone any and met some wonderful people too.

I have my secret old tractor repair guy to check with too (if he's not dead), 'he has everything' but finding it is always another issue.  We've all been to one of those places where there are little trails through the shop just wide enough to squeeze through sideways where the parts and goodies are stacked so high you think they could fall on you and kill you.  Ha.

AutoZone lists them, but when you get ready to process the order and check out only then does it come up a Zero Stock on the online order form.  Did I mention my dislike for AutoZone?  I was 18 once and worked a counter, but I was never rude to people who came in who knew 500 times what I knew then.  I use the 4th generation Auto Supply store in Flint (Brown and Sons).  Stools to sit on when you sit at the counter and every guy behind the counter is over 50 and the owner walks out and asks if you need a coffee.  This is the store that chipped in for us to go shag the Flint Wagon Works wagon in NY from Dandy Dave.  Great people.  They called all over to 3077s too.  No luck.  Coffee was fresh.