Borg Warner 3-band Automatic trans- Studebaker Jaguar

Ovalrace25

HELP! Yes it is an automatic-- Yes it has a torque convertor. Yes I know the convertor is a "fluid clutch"

SO why does the engine come to a HALT when bring the car to a full stop? UNLESS I drop it into the L position. If I then take OFF in L--- shift up to D, it drives just fine--- Until the next stop---- This is an early 50's transmission. Does not slip- fluid clean. Tried adjuting the throttle pressure rod. Yep, the one that goes to the lever coming out of the top rear tail shaft. Tried dissconecting the electric modulator wires. No good---

There is also a normal clutch disc in the torque converter which is designed to lock the transmission in high gear and eliminate torque converter "slippage".  It looks like the clutch is not releasing when the trans selector lever is left in drive, but does so when low range is selected.  Possibly a valve body problem.

(In the 1970's Chrysler made a big deal out of their "lock up torque converter".  Studebaker had one more than 20 years earlier!

Terry 

I thought it was Packard Ultramatic that had the lock up torque converter?

General Motors is famous for claiming to have invented some new feature - 10 to 20 years after someone else had it on their cars. They are the ones who made a big deal about their lock up torque converter around 1980.

I thought it was Packard Ultramatic that had the lock up torque converter?

General Motors is famous for claiming to have invented some new feature - 10 to 20 years after someone else had it on their cars. They are the ones who made a big deal about their lock up torque converter around 1980.

Ovalrace25 has made a mistake.  The transmission which Studebaker and later Jaguar used was not a Borg Warner transmission.  It was a Detroit Gear three band unit made for Studebaker from 1950 to early 1956.  It featured a clutch disc inside the torque converter.  Studebaker used Borg Warner units from 1956 on.

The lock up torque converter 6 cylinder Dodges and Plymouths used in the mid/late 70"s were famous (or infamous) for constantly fluctuating between lockup/unlock at around 30 mph under light throttle conditions.

Terry 

Packard's Ultramatic transmission had a clutch plate which provided direct drive. Unlike the DG transmission, the Ultramatic only had  High and Low speeds. The High selection was with the torque converter reduction and then the direct drive clutch would engage. Low was to be used for only unusual low speed driving conditions. Starting in Low and shifting to High was not recommended. Later, starting with the late 1954 models, the Gear Start Ultramatic was introduced. This version had two selections available for High. In one High the transmission could be used to start in Low, then it would shift to High torque converter, and finally into High direct drive. The second High could be selected to perform like the previous versions. Two modes of locomotion. The name was changed to Twin Ultramatic with the 1955 models to reflect the two transmission modes. The Ultramatic was the only fully automatic transmission to be developed and produced in-house by an independent auto manufacturer.

(o{}o)