New TV Show! This Saturday Night! Don't Miss!

Steve Moskowitz

Like Padgett says, a rendition of What's my car Worth. The good thing about the rendition is they didn't go into detail like "what's my car worth". I have a specialty in Pontiac, some Olds and VW and when Keith Martin or Donald Osborne say facts that aren't true I wonder about other cars that they are talking about that I don't know in depth is true because of what they said about Pontiac. So little depth correct is better than "in" depth that is incorrect.

Cars; In the two shows I watched I was only interested in the 60S Cadillac and I couldn't hear all of what the gal was saying because of the music. You need cars you can relate to. Cars of the rich and famous are dream cars for us. Give us something we can get our hands on money wise.

I agree with John 348's comments especially about the music. VELOSITY LISTEN, when the people start talking CUT the music. And when people are not talking don't AMP IT UP with the music to the point the wife gets up and goes to another place in the house!

Watched the show.  It was okay, seemed like a cheaper version of "What's My Car Worth."  I know it's the first show, but the guys seemed very forced, the interviews were short and not very interesting and I really hated the waste of time showing the list of "Purchase Price, Restoration Cost..." since everything came up "Not Revealed" other than the 20 grand for the Merc.  We didn't see anyone driving the cars - the Merc disappeared down the road at the end of the segment, but that was about it.  No good look at the interiors of the Merc or the Vette and lackluster photography of the cars in general.  It would be far more interesting if they did the segments and then waited to see what the cars sold for so we could get some idea of the accuracy of the appraisals.  The auction sale of the Vette was the only indication and it proved to be well under the appraisal.  They could have lost the phony looking bet on the auction price - it didn't increase the "drama" one bit.  Terrible music, terrible narrator.  At least they didn't come back from a commercial and repeat the last four minutes of the previous segment.  The show, as so many seem to be, is fixated on the value of the car rather than the emotional appeal for the owner or the fun of owning and driving these cars.

Finally, if the show is about how much the cars mean to their owners and their stories are what it's all about, how come we didn't hear any interesting stories, and why did all three owners want to sell their cars?  The Vette owner says it belonged to his dad and it meant the world to him, then he auctions it off?  Why not find some true hobbyists and let them talk about their car, how they restored/preserved it, what it took, how they found it, where and when they drive it, why they bought it in the first place?  A lame four minute interview with the car sitting there on the grass or in a warehouse with a seemingly disinterested owner standing next to it doesn't mean much to me.  I'll watch a few more shows, but it didn't impress me very much, I'm sorry to say.

Guest AlCapone

Like many of the others. I was not very impressed. Maybe with all the pre show hype, I expected more, much more. Although a serious car collector I may not tune in for the next episode. Sorry guys, it just did not reach my approval level. Wayne

With all the hype, including me emailing friends to watch it, I was disappointed.   Again, it was all about the money.  Like the shows it competes against for viewers it was more about money than the cars.  I was glad to see the young woman with the 41 Cadillac keep it after learning it was worth $30,000.  She liked her car, as most hobbyists and members of AACA do.

If this program was to attract younger people to the AACA, it seemed to appeal to collector car flippers more than to collectors or restorers.  Nobody spoke of doing any restoration, just buying and selling, customizing and speed.

My other gripe was that the second episode had very little to do with antique cars.  I'll give it another look in subsequent shows, but "My Classic Car" and "Chasing Classic Cars" are shows more about the cars and the hobby than the money.

In the beginning I didn't like "All In The Family" or "Seinfeld" in their first shows, but watched a few and loved them.  I'm not infallible at being a TV Critic, I'll give "The Appraisers" a third and fourth chance.  

You guys are a tough crowd.  The show is not about restoration.  You see what shows are on TV now that have a hint about restoration but the rest is about reality.  It is a show that a man has invested a ton of personal money to try and focus on our hobby and at great risk to him.  As in most shows on TV the networks will dictate some of what they want to see.  No one gets to do a show 100% of their way in this genre at least.  So there are some things that each of us would like to see, not want to see or can find fault with but we are not producers or directors.  Their job as I have learned is not as simple as you would think.

I might be in the minority about the show with the exotic cars but I thoroughly enjoyed learning about the cars.  I am a car guy and like all kinds of cars and these are certainly not in my wheelhouse.  I thought Steve, the owner, was very engaging and a fun guy and again I was entertained.

I would love to see shows that are full scale documentaries on the history of the automobile but they apparently are not what the channel wants which is a shame to me personally.  I have seen more of the rest of the shows and I quite frankly would find it hard to believe that most car guys will not enjoy the shows.  The appraisal part is necessary and is the halo around the show and the name.  I choose not to focus on it but hear the stories from the owners.  I disagree that they did not get airtime as I think most got more time than in most shows.  Take the commercials out and the shows have I think 22 minutes to run?  Not a lot of time to do in depth interviews.

I was with a large group and they all loved the show and these were all car people so I guess this falls into the category that they make a lot of flavors of ice cream.  You get to choose what you like.  I think and hope the show finds favor with the public as right now it is the ONLY chance we have to get regular folks and their cars a chance to tell their stories.  Those stories abound in future episodes.  I hope you guys continue to watch and give this series a chance.  If not, thanks anyway!!

• Like 2

I think most car guys will continue to watch, they may gripe and complain but most have too much currosty to not watch. I enjoyed the show even though I had to catch the late version as we had our Richmond Region Christmas Party last night during the time frame of the first run. I think Tom and the other guys did a great job and are to be commended for what they are trying to do to bring our hobby to the forefront. As far as I'm concerned it beats the hell out of Dancing with the Stars or any of the other junk that is offered. I will continue to watch, might have to buy some type od recording device, I have a difficult time staying up for the late show!

My personal assessment...

Were either of the first two episodes perfect? No, but I still enjoyed them. I personally enjoyed the first episode better than the second, just because I am not that interested in the high performance exotic cars. Others will have different opinions that I have because some people really like those cars.

As far as early episodes of a TV show go, I think they did a good job. While I was not a great fan of some of the announcer's lines and tone, I think that the show will end up being tweaked a little bit as it goes along and everything settles into place. I think that they are on the way to an enjoyable series that helps spread knowledge of AACA to other antique hobbyists. I look forward to the next episode.  

One thing did confuse me, I always thought the 60 Special Cad was a upper line & that the 61 was the LaSalle replacement in '41. Did the wrong synapse fire ?

Did agree it fit right in with Velocity's lineup.

ps Think the reason you did not see the Lambo on the road was because it did not have a license plate. That fit my definition of a "collection".

One thing did confuse me, I always thought the 60 Special Cad was a upper line & that the 61 was the LaSalle replacement in '41. Did the wrong synapse fire ?

Did think it was up to Velocity's standard.

ps Think the reason you did not see the Lambo on the raod was because it did no have a license place. That fit my definition of a "collection".

Starting in 1940, and for the remainder of its existence, the Sixty Special would be Fleetwood marketed, enjoying higher-priced molding, trim and upholstery like the Series 75 and 90.

Totally agree with the comments of Matt and real61ss.  

Enjoyed both episodes and really did not expect to hear 100% good assessments from many on the Forum.  Why?  Simply past observations of practically every new venture of the AACA.

--AACA Museum:  Long before and during ground breaking all sorts of naysayers appeared.  "It will never work", It will fail and take the AACA with it", and more I can no longer recall.  Well look at the world class museum we have today that is an affiliate of the Smithsonian.

--Library & Research Center and this AACA Forum did not escape unscathed by critiquing at first glance by detractors.  Simply they did not give these services a chance to continuously improve to the point they are the best within the hobby IMHO.  I recall past AACA President Ron Barnett tell me that when he and our Webmaster Peter Gariepy approached the board to bless the Forum concept they were shot down so badly that Ron stopped and drove around Gettysburg just to get his mind off the failure.  Well look at this Forum today that is open to members and non-members.

--Look at the success of the Elegance at Hershey and other AACA functions of which no other club I know of comes even close to the AACA efforts to be a leader for current and future hobbyist.

I am going to watch all the episodes before making any judgement calls.  Based upon all the above observations I had from the past it would not be fair at all and I hate to eat crow.

Regards,

Peter J.

• Like 2

If nothing else, the background scenes in episode one were a kick: Carlisle, Hershey, the Museum- all very familiar sights. As for episode two, the car storage building in NJ for rich kids was a hoot. Imagine the monthly fee for some guy to pamper your million dollar baby! What these shows do well is to illustrate the great diversity of the car hobby.

Edited by greenie (see edit history)

The Mercury was referred to as an original car,  and they referenced the original mileage. The car had frenched headlights, was nosed and decked, had no door handles, no side trim, a louvered hood, and many other modifications......How is this an original car. I completed watching the first episode, the second one was a disappointment for me as I have zero interest in late model supercars. I hope the show improves as  these shows are important to bring the hobby to younger viewers so  they can develop an interest in the cars we all love. These shows have the ability to continue driving the hobby forward.

Edited by Classic Car Fan (see edit history)

Got to see it and we're going to see how we can get the channel at home so we can continue watching.   It was great to see neat cars and REAL car people.  My hat's off to our own AACA stars, Tom Cox and Chris Ritter.  i enjoyed it and am anxious to see more.  This is a big stride forward for AACA after years of hard work trying to get air time that provides good exposure to the club.  I was impressed that both Tom and Cris were allowed to be themselves in the production.  Proud to know them both, only hope I can afford to get their autographs now!!! - Keep up the good work!!!

Terry

• Like 1

Got to see it and we're going to see how we can get the channel at home so we can continue watching.   It was great to see neat cars and REAL car people.  My hat's off to our own AACA stars, Tom Cox and Chris Ritter.  i enjoyed it and am anxious to see more.  This is a big stride forward for AACA after years of hard work trying to get air time that provides good exposure to the club.  I was impressed that both Tom and Cris were allowed to be themselves in the production.  Proud to know them both, only hope I can afford to get their autographs now!!! - Keep up the good work!!!

Terry

The music over voice so you can't hear what anyone is saying is OK with you, and the loudness of the music that comes on when people aren't talking doesn't bother you?

I DVR'd the two shows and watched them last night. I thought it was a good show, not a great show, but a good show. I'll continue to DVR it and watch it as it at least covers some of the cars I like (Pre WWII) other than the other shows that always show them restomoding a car or chopping it up.  Another I like on Velocity is Chasing Classic cars, as it mixed exotics with some old metal too and Wayne appears to be a sincere car guy. Even he sometimes doesn't get it right in auction estimates and loses money on his deals and it shows that.  Although I like to read the restoration stories in our club magazine, I'm not sure the general viewing public would want to see a ground up restoration of a 20's or 30's classic, and would keep their short attention span on watching someone primer or rub out a paint job, rebuild and engine or restore a set of headlights.  Most viewers care less about how the car got there looking good, but just want to see the car.  All the shows have to have a gimmick to catch most of the viewers attention. Remember Orange County Choppers had the father and son fighting all the time, Graveyard Cars has the host with his stupid jokes, egotistical banter etc.  I for one think it's good for our hobby to have any show on cars and if you can through in a little free advertisement or exposure to the AACA, then all the better.

I also thought the first episodes OK, not great, and will continue to watch. 

1.  Tom and Chris.  Having two AACA guys with this kind of exposure can only be good, and the first episode opened the scenario that here are two guys who like prewar cars, Classics, and other lesser seen cars that are more thoughtful than just the sport and exotic cars of the "Vegas High Roller".

2.  The variety looks OK, like most guys here I found the 1941 Cadillac the most interesting but at least it was not otherwise ALL modified cars or exotics.  I can handle a little mix of everything as long as it does not devolve into all street rods all the time and the walking and talking at Hershey was very welcome to me.

3.  Best of all, no reality show drama AND no 2 minute recap after every commercial break wasting time. 

4.  I actually liked following the Corvette through the auction.  Like others here I found it incongruous that they discussed that this was a special car and the family pride and joy, etc. just before it was run over the block to the highest bidder, but whatever, see # 2 below.

DISLIKES/COMMENTS

1.  The Mercury was talked about as if it was an untouched original which could mislead viewers. 

2.  I agree that the premise of the "appraising" is a little confusing, it seems unclear why the appraising is happening other than just to talk about money for the camera BUT that may be enough.  I grudgingly admit that most people are most interested in money when reviewing old cars and at least some good education and discussion can be mixed in with the talk of prices and values.   

3.  I did not notice or dislike the narrator and music as much as others here 

I was not thrilled but I am optimistic it can be a good outreach for the AACA and the more old fashioned side of the car hobby.  And it is certainly much better than the usual, thanks to all involved, Todd C

• Like 1

Music didn't bother me.  Watched with a group of friends and we all had a great time.  I even think the commercials were about 99% ok. 

• Like 1

You guys rock.  I am sure there is a silent majority out there who have read these posts but have not responded.  Whether it is from this site, the two AACA Facebook pages, The Appraisers Page of Facebook or the Velocity page the Appraiser are starting to hit it big.  It is great news!  The numbers are coming in are huge and if we can keep the momentum going the show will be continued and your criticisms, ideas and suggestions can be considered by the show's producer for next season.  I am very confident that the remaining shows will find a lot of favor with the majority of viewers.  So, if you want the car hobby to be represented on Velocity without the "reality" then please make your comments known to Velocity!  Let them know you want to see another season!  We (AACA and many other clubs) will get a chance to tell our story even better so the ball is in your court.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Am reminded of the telephone game where everyone hears something different. The Merc was modded but not chopped or channeled so they said it could be put back to original if someone really wanted to. They also said it was converted to 12v hence the Delco alternator. 41 Cad was nice but they got the models screwed up (60 special was not a LaSalle replacement). 56 'vette was a nice example but apparently only one of several in the collection and had a powerglide. Did have dual quads for those who can tell the difference between an AFB and a WCFB (I keep thinking a pair of AFBs would look nice on the Judge, have the carbs and a manifold but would need to mod the hood pan..Or maybe a 66 hi-rise tripower...)

Would have liked to see some of the cars on the lifts from the second installment (particularly the Barracuda), saw enough Lambos on Top Gear before Jeremy's altercation. Going around curves even.

So better than DCS and a '67 Camaro SS with 327 flags. Narrator reminded me of DCS though.

DVR is set for next week.

Yes, objectivity is sometimes hard to come by when you have skin in the game emotional or otherwise.

Funny, there were a couple of Cadillac's one a 57 or 58 and a 77-mid 80's Coupe de Ville and I kept saying to myself come on cameraman go over there! He didn't though.

A friend of mine in our antique car club who long since retired from the movie business as a sound engineer is appalled at what they are doing in these new cars shows. He says music should never interfere with dialogue.

Guest Skyking

A friend of mine in our antique car club who long since retired from the movie business as a sound engineer is appalled at what they are doing in these new cars shows. He says music should never interfere with dialogue.

It's not only car shows, it's commercials, whether radio or television, and most movies. I even have to turn off You Tube videos because of it. People with sensitive ears can't tolerate it. This is why I can't watch these shows. To me the music doesn't belong anywhere near the dialogue.

An unnamed auto related show that tests new cars and has been on for 35 years commonly overlays heavy metal sound tracks over the narrator AND the swell engine sounds as the vehicle is wrung out. It's like going to a Poison concert ... !! Awful.

With that said, The Appraiser's music background was restrained, toned down and IN the background. It could be eliminated, as far as I'm concerned, however.

I did enjoy the show. It held my interest.

Edited by Uncle_Buck (see edit history)

I watched it today on demand since I couldn't when live.  I'll keep watching, because I enjoy car shows of all kinds, but do have one comment.

It's a shame to me, my opinion of course, that a television show that the AACA is both involved in and promoting is just about 100% about the MONEY aspect of the hobby.

A really refreshing show to me would be one that focused on cars, collections, and people, not necessarily in that order, and didn't even talk about the money.  Jay Leno's new show seems to come close to this premise.

The obsession with dollars was pointed out to me recently by a friend and fellow collector, when I was telling him a little history about an early car he'd recently purchased, and an offer and a selling price in that car's history.  He stated he doesn't talk money about his cars, he'll talk money about doing WORK on cars (since he's in that business), but not car or transaction values.  I like his thinking.....

David, all I can say is that there are things that have to be done in order to get shows on the air.  If you watch future episodes you will see much more about the cars BUT the appraisal aspect is the same on What's My Car Worth, Chasing Classic Cars and several other shows.  It is what the networks want.  AACA supports this show for obvious reasons, it includes our members, it has been filmed at some of our events and it gives our hobby some exposure.  The street rod shows are eating our lunch so at least we have an opening in talking about what we do.  I personally think that the appraisal part of the show is not very significant and I am willing to bet that the air time devoted to the $$ is minimal compared to the other material.

Watch the show this week.  I think you will enjoy the visit to local guy, Keith Miller's collection.  Watch closely and you will get to see some very interesting cars and history.  Keith is a great collector and has worked hard to get what he wants.  Every car he owns has a great story and his memorabilia is wonderful. 

In the last episode you will surely find out that it is not all about the $$$ as that is a statement that the show is going to make.  Just my take...

• Like 1

Guess we have to appreciate that shows cost money (and Hollywood money is different from the rest of the world). Do not understand how showing the same commercials at every break is helping anything (how many sets of tires would that Ford be on if not just a repeat ?).

Found out a long time ago that with work you could have money, fame, or enjoyment (pick two). I've opted for playing with toys (of course I been fortunate to play with some very big toys).

About one in three movies these days touch on what I used to do (and find the graphics hilarious).

Top Gear (and Fifth Gear to a lesser extent) had real people with quirks and personalities, too bad it is said to have closed the same way as a Texas Honky-Tonk: "Open until fist-fight).

To me there are few people I would like to know better on Velocity: Wayne Carini (and really probably Roger), Edd China (though I fit most cars) and the difference between Velocity and NBC/ABC/CBS is that it is possible.

Even there you can only see so many carb rebuilds.

What I would like to see is something like Click and Clack where knowlegable people answer questions and have the opportunity to convey some history particularly of the interesting but obscure happenings (e.g. "Z28, just option codes", "OHC through the ages", "Long tail cars since 1911." or even "The fall and rise of diesel."  Perhaps a longer set piece, shorter set piece, and Q&A (via Tweet ?) format.

I got a million of them 8*).

I understand economics, and the things that drive getting a show on the air aren't always the things that everybody wants to see.  Sure better than watching The Rifleman reruns!

As you say, Steve, good exposure....will keep watching and hope it's a success!

Getting a show on the air and judging people's taste is all a crap shoot. My uncle retired after 45 years as a successful program director for the dominant NBC affiliate in this area. I remember him telling me years ago that he was approached to buy a new children's program. He said is was about "turtle mutants or teenaged Ninja something" and it was the most ridiculous thing he ever saw and had zero chance of ever becoming popular.

Jeff, funny but I hope not to compare Chris and the guys as Mutant Ninja Turtles although.... :D  AACA has tried to get a TV show on the air unsuccessfully for years.  Our show was all about the cars and history and we could not even get a sniff by the networks.  We had an Emmy Award winning producer and director involved!  It is just not what commercial TV wants today which is beyond sad in my opinion. 

I personally think the stories are better than reality TV if we expose the market to the amazing stories behind the men and the machines!  Can you imagine stories about Olds, Durant, DeLorean, Iacocca and 100's more.  The entire history of how the car has helped make America great has not been told in depth.  Bugs me but we will keep trying to find someone who might want to do a documentary some day...Ken Burns are you listening!

• Like 1

AACA's "exposure" problem is that about 95% of the general population see cars as a commodity with little to no interest in them. For "old cars" up that to 98%.

What we may see as intensely interesting is pretty much a yawner to most unless it involves SEX, noise, explosions, drama and big money

The show would likely do great if the "appraiser" was a young hottie, in a low cut top that kept bending over to pick up tools some old geezer nervously dropped. Cut to a close up of the geezer breaking into a sweat. Enter the geezer's wife who starts yelling at the appraiser before taking a swing at her. She misses of course and cold cocks the geezer who kicks over a torch which blows up the entire garage. Fade to  black and then open with a scene with the marriage councilor the geezer, the wife and the insurance adjuster all screaming at each other over who's at fault.

I'd watch it ..........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Maybe so Bob but the day we give up and stop trying is the day we might as well shut our doors.  That is NOT going to happen.  Our membership is not going down so just maybe bit by bit we are convincing SOME, not everyone, to get involved in our hobby.  Why do THOUSANDS come to the car show at Hershey and major concours?  Most are not members but there is an audience.  That is one of the audiences we want to reach. 

http://www.appraiserstv.com/gallery.html  If you guys want to see the stories in future episodes.

• Like 1

Jeff, funny but I hope not to compare Chris and the guys as Mutant Ninja Turtles although.... :D  AACA has tried to get a TV show on the air unsuccessfully for years.  Our show was all about the cars and history and we could not even get a sniff by the networks.  We had an Emmy Award winning producer and director involved!  It is just not what commercial TV wants today which is beyond sad in my opinion. 

I personally think the stories are better than reality TV if we expose the market to the amazing stories behind the men and the machines!  Can you imagine stories about Olds, Durant, DeLorean, Iacocca and 100's more.  The entire history of how the car has helped make America great has not been told in depth.  Bugs me but we will keep trying to find someone who might want to do a documentary some day...Ken Burns are you listening!

Steve, what the club needs to do is get the big guys in the hobby and the corporations that support the hobby together to make a series. Get away from production companies that don't share the values we have. That's what Steve Mcqueen had to do and created Solar productions. There is a lot of money within the car collector hobby, seek it and find a better way instead of being at the mercy of a bunch of geeks.

There has only been one channel that has even come close up to this date that in the beginning before it was taken over and then canceled was the best car, airplane and boat shows ever. That channel was  SPEEDVISION

What say YOU.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

Yo! not saying we should stop trying to generate interest. I'm just saying the car shows that are on the air are the way they are, because that's what sells. A factual, straight laced, show about cars (unless there is something special about them) will not generate enough viewers to pay the bills and wishing it would is just that................Bob