New TV Show! This Saturday Night! Don't Miss!

Steve Moskowitz

This Saturday night, December 5th starting at 8:00 PM EST and again with a new episode at 8:30 is a new show called the Appraisers.  No wrench throwing, no cussing and no fake drama!  Three guys visiting car shows and collections around the country.  You will recognize some of the venues and many of the faces.  The three stars are AACA members with one being our National Director, Tom Cox and the other the AACA Head Librarian, Chris Ritter.  They have done their best to ensure accuracy and the vast majority of the cars fit the non-modified mode although there are a very few modified cars in the show. 

The show has some great episodes so hopefully you will tune in, promote this on you own Facebook pages and in your local clubs.  This show will give our hobby much needed exposure so please make it a point to watch.  Your support is super important to the future of the show so please get behind it if you agree with us that quality programming that represents the point of view of many on this forum needs to be aired.  Let's make this invitation to watch go viral!  Thanks. 

www.appraiserstv.com

• Like 1

.  No wrench throwing, no cussing and no fake drama!  Three guys visiting car shows and collections around the country. 

www.appraiserstv.com

No fake drama?!  Well, that'll be refreshing; however, the American viewing public has been programmed to expect "fake drama" in all  "reality" shows.  Because of the absence of "fake drama", the show may not be popular.  I plan to watch it, and will hope for the best.

Drama-free here (mostly),

Grog

• Like 1

I hope they give honest appraisals. After shows like Barrett Jackson some people think their car is a goldmine. Last year I was checking out a '59 T-Bird that was in a backyard since 1968. The entire interior was trashed because of mice, moisture and mildew. The car was sitting on the floor pans because the wheels had sunk in the mud and serious rust was everywhere. This car was a parts car at the most. When I asked the owner what he wanted for the car he said $25,000," I saw one just like it at an auction on TV". I didn't want to hurt his feelings, so I just said thanks any way.

Boo on no Velocity!!!  Too bad it is so expensive for you...yikes!  Find someone who has the show and tell them you will bring the popcorn!

I have seen most of the shows and the appraisals are definitely in the ballpark but the stories are what this show is about.  The $$ is incidental despite the title.  Car owners are given the opportunity to talk about heir cars and their love for the hobby.  I think and hope you will like it.  I am prejudiced for sure but I have watched the filming and have seen the hard work that has gone into making this a show that is watchable for the likes of people like most of us.  People have watch Americarna and Chasing Classic Cars because those shows are enjoyable, seem real and so I think this show has a real chance!!! 

I will not mention the name of the service but I just called my daughters provider and asked what it would cost to get Velocity as they do not have it and guess what!!!?????  Not $150, not $100 but FREE.  The guy came back on the line and said we can do that for free.  Might be worth a try!!  AACA Fall Meet will also be on Chasing Classic Car on Dec. 23rd and I have a small part in that episode.  8 year granddaughter needs to see me on the Tube!

Not sure why but not all the Velocity shows are available "On Demand", would be nice if all Velocity shows would be. This sounds like a good one, hope to be able to check it out but the Saturday night time slot might be tough for people - often a social night...

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

You know stringing wires on a phone pole is as old as telegraph lines.  One of the wonders of the world was free TV with an antenna!

For like $100 or so, now all you get is lengthy death insurance commercials-dont bother changing channels you get the same commercial.

Commercials or sponsers cost money and it cost us money to watch this junk Like take this pill but you gonna die. Or if you take that

pill and die you may collect from our insurance.  Now is that totally stupid or what. Rather watch a John Camron Swazie Timex commercial.

can't wait till Comcast goes belly up. 

• Like 1

AACA Fall Meet will also be on Chasing Classic Car on Dec. 23rd and I have a small part in that episode.  8 year granddaughter needs to see me on the Tube!

That's how it begins, with a "small part". If she has any trouble recognizing you, have your agent ring her up and tell her,

3900601460e7b3c7efab9c728d87b724.jpg

"Sweetie, your Grampa's the one in the beret and loud lounge wear. He sends his love and this signed, 8 x 10 glossy".  

;)

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

Thank you , Padgett I now kow what to tell "santa" I want for Christmas!! DVR beats shrugged shoulders saying "uhh, gee, I can't think of anything right now, dear.." I like maybe 2-3 TV shows (Much rather be drivingthe A!!) and the price we pay for cable never ceases to amaze me - they usually do not let me see the bill for that and the wireless network...

• Like 1

This will be great as long as they keep the blaring music out of the show. Nothing like competition between the host and some jerk blaring away on a lead guitar!! Velocity is great for doing this.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

I`d rather spend the money and time working on my projects.. Just think how many man-hours are lost on cable/satellite TV that could be spent doing something more constructive/satisfying. Don`t you people realize you`re paying to watch all those repetitive commercials every 5 minutes? NA-NA!! It`s not for me..

I`d rather spend the money and time working on my projects.. Just think how many man-hours are lost on cable/satellite TV that could be spent doing something more constructive/satisfying. Don`t you people realize you`re paying to watch all those repetitive commercials every 5 minutes? NA-NA!! It`s not for me..

That's why you have a DVR...You just blast by commercials, and the occasional hot rod that Wayne Carini slips into his shows. And you watch the show at times when it is convenient to you like 9pm when its snowing outside.

Guest Skyking

I don't watch any of those shows.  Between the commercials and blasting music and forget a DVR (more worthless money spent).  I'll admit,  I did watch part of one last week after my son called and said one of the stations was doing a '64 Chevelle.  I tuned in and hardly did see the Chevelle because one of the workers was looking for his "notes".  They kept going back and forth over these rediculous "notes".  Then at the end the owner was driving the car like a maniac and I was waiting for him to hit the wall..................sorry, don't have the time!!

Did some of you get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? :)  For those that DO watch TV, for those that do enjoy car programming, for those that want to at least see if this show is their cup of TV please tune in!  The show is educational at times, visits some great people (many AACA members) and tells some wonderful stories in the owner's own words about their cars.  What's not to like?  Anyway, AACA and the hobby can use your support in getting behind this show as we feel that getting our hobby on mainstream TV is critical for the future of the hobby from introducing the hobby to new people to making a case that our hobby should not be and can not be legislated out of existence.  Quality TV programming can help us in these areas. 

The show is not going to be everyone's cup of tea but I am willing to bet most AACA members will enjoy it and enjoy seeing so many people they know.  A lot of filming was done during Hershey Week!

Did some of you get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? :)  For those that DO watch TV, for those that do enjoy car programming, for those that want to at least see if this show is their cup of TV please tune in!  The show is educational at times, visits some great people (many AACA members) and tells some wonderful stories in the owner's own words about their cars.  What's not to like?  Anyway, AACA and the hobby can use your support in getting behind this show as we feel that getting our hobby on mainstream TV is critical for the future of the hobby from introducing the hobby to new people to making a case that our hobby should not be and can not be legislated out of existence.  Quality TV programming can help us in these areas. 

The show is not going to be everyone's cup of tea but I am willing to bet most AACA members will enjoy it and enjoy seeing so many people they know.  A lot of filming was done during Hershey Week!

That's just it!, the majority of the car shows out there are NOT car shows. Now if this one is going to be better, and we don't get blasted by some want-to-be Eric Clapton, then I'll be all for it.

As far as doing something for the Hobby, someone in this club should be saying something about what our government officials are doing in Paris this week. That's where the future od this hobby will be determined. What say you Steve?? I'll bet you don't respond to that.

Did some of you get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? :)  For those that DO watch TV, for those that do enjoy car programming, for those that want to at least see if this show is their cup of TV please tune in! 

You are right Steve, we all sound a little cranky since we have been disappointed before.  I will optimistically tune in and hope this show is the one, having Chris Ritter on there adds credibility for me.  In my area these TV shows seem to be the most influential old car exposure for most people and it would be nice to have a respectable example for a change, Todd C

i 'll gladly give up my re-runs of the Andy Griffith Show, with Ottis's 1933 Ford Cabriolet and Aunt Bea's 1955 Ford Convertible as well as other background cars form the series that ran form 1950 to 1965, to see a well done antique car program set in today's world..

• Like 1

Check out www.appraiserstv.com and you will see some of the cars in the show. There is a little bit of everything from a Mustang, race car, 41 Cadillac, Mohs SafariKar, several great collections..like I said an eclectic mix which also includes a modified Merc in the first episode which is not most of our cup of tea but the producer of the show had to do some things to make the network happy.  While I am far from an expert in the world of TV I have certainly learned a lot over the last few years on what it takes to get a show aired and the difficulties of producing a series.  After all, it is TV and is designed for entertainment.  Then you have got to find funding for the shows which is no small issue.

From what we have seen the show gets better each week so hopefully you give it a chance.  I am not much of a "Lambo" fan and the second episode highlights one but it was pretty humorous to see the reaction of the member of the film crew who got a ride in the car.

I do not have the time this morning to say all that needs to be said about the importance of our hobby reaching out to new "customers".  We all know about the graying of the hobby,  AACA's membership is up again this year and that is good but not nearly what it should be for the future.  Our discussions with politicians over the years that support our cause (there is a nice size caucus of car nuts who serve in state and national capacities) usually end up with comments about the size of our hobby and our need to be proactive and in the spotlight.  TV can help us. Chasing Classic Cars is doing an entire show on December 23rd about Hershey!  That is great exposure.  Wayne Carini is a life member in AACA. While the Appraisers is not an AACA show due to the participants we have a way to at least let the public know who we are and hopefully if the show gets renewed we can spread the word more each year.

• Like 2

Saw this on Facebook originally & have interacted on the show's page a bit.  I was surprised to see not much interaction or that many likes ... yet.  I suspect once the episodes air tonight that might change, who knows.

While I'm not able to watch (only have local TV via digital antenna), I sure hope this show goes well.  From what I've seen on the website & Facebook page, it sure seems like a show I'd thoroughly enjoy ... especially road tripping across the country! ;)

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic  (awaiting new owner)
"You have all the tender sweetness of a seasick crocodile" __ Thurl Ravenscroft __ 'You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch'
Edited by ScarredKnightfan (see edit history)

I hope to see this show here in Canada. I'm going to check with our cable and find out how much extra Velocity is.

I checked out the Velocity Canada schedule on their website, I do not see the show listed.  I do not watch a lot of TV, but this one of my favourite channels.

I plan to email them to see if it will be added in the near future,  If enough people write them it may help get it on, and give us north of the border something new to watch now that cruise season is over.

Bob

Interesting but mostly a hgh-end version of "What's My Car Worth". I'd like to see more of cars the average person would have, not ones worth more than their house.

Did like the Delco alternator on the '50 Merc "resto".

Ha, Ha, Ha, I hope with all my heart it's a good show, but I expect the producer will find a way to screw it up.

I hope I'm wrong,

Dale in Indy

They did.... the narrator/narration has to go, talk about reading a script! The goofy side bar comments, like "that car is hotter then side pipes" is not working, I also felt back round music did not work at all. I feel the producer is trying way too hard to create some sort of personality to the hosts. The second episode really was not interesting for me, if it were not for the AACA connection to the show the Big 10 Championship game would have been on my TV sooner....... 

I really don't understand what the purpose of the appraisal given on the show is for? It's not what I expected

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

Finally, a show about the car hobby that covers a wide range of vehicles and foregoes the manufactured-drama of its hosts. It's about the cars, their value (both in dollars and what they mean to each owner), and features believable experts who provide realistic input. Mine is just one opinion, but so far the only programs worth watching have been Chasing Classic Cars, and Jay Leno's Garage. I preface these remarks by admitting that I know and like two-thirds of the cast, Tom Cox and Chris Ritter, and I look forward one day to meeting the third, Ben Neff, the Vegas High-Roller. I like the graphics, the music, and the show's vibe.

No show is going to be everything for everyone, and I'm not that in to the modern exotics in Episode Two, but they're off to a fine start. For such a show to survive, it has to have a wide breadth of subject matter to appeal to a broad audience. 

While I love totally original or restored to original cars, featuring the '50 Mercury Mild Custom was great. It reminded me of reading about the Hirohata Mercury and other classic customs of the '50's, when I was a teenager in the '70's. An important point made was that its modifications could be reversed without much effort. There are plenty of AACA and other clubs' households whose garages include and embrace both types and, for that matter, all types of cars.

On a personal note, I was honored earlier this year when some friends who host an annual Ferrari Club Concorso invited the Roadmistress to be shown on the lawn with mostly modern exotic European marques, because they like her style and patina. It was fun, even gratifying, to watch the owners of Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Porsches and other exotica make the trek across the lawn and up the hill to ogle and take pictures of the old '57 Buick. While they were doing that, I was learning about the passion for their cars, thereby broadening my own horizons. Win win.

post-87514-0-60838400-1449370194_thumb.j

We need to thank the producers, the talent (on-screen and off) and, most of all, the sponsors of The Apprai$ers who brought this show to air. For it to succeed, we need to watch and tell our vast networks of friends to watch it. I look forward to the next, and many more episodes, and hope you do, too.

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)
  • Like 3