Craigslist - car for sale for 900.00

nick8086

Here is the email I got :

Hello, how are you doing. I saw your post on CL yesterday and didn’t have a chance to message you until today. Anyways, I was thinking if you’d like to set a convenient time for us to meet up, with the car of course, so that I can have a personal look at the car. Will be honest though, the last time I got a car from Craigslist I got burned pretty bad and I’ve learned my lesson. I am going to have to see a car report for your car just cause a look through of the car can only do so much, and I’m pretty suspicious when dealing with cars on craigslist now. I took a look for ya and it seems http://www.quickvinlookup.com/ would be the cheapest place to grab a report since I know it’s like less than half the price of Carfax. Anyways, message me once you have the report and we will set up a good meeting time for the both of us. :)

Here wants a car fax on a non -running car???

I need to add to my listing sold as is...

It is just funny..

Tell him he can have any kind of report he wants if he pays for it. If he buys the car you could even offer to deduct it from the price. You could also tell him that he could save a lot of money just by knowing you don't get a new Rolls for $900. If he wants a good car he is going to have to shell out a lot more than that. Even $9000 is no guarantee these days.

We advertise heavy on CL with great results. I just say call only because I am blind and can not read an email or text. Works great.

Also insert this, (bank wire only keeps scammers at check). 

A lot of these response is computer generated and no real person reads the ads.

I had one responded to my ad and they said I like your best price, I respond free and they will ask for the bank info.

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)
  • Like 1

This is a scam.  I had the same message sent to me earlier this year when I was selling a race car.  They wanted a vehicle history report.  I responded that the car was a race car and the vehicle history report would be useless ... they continued to insist. Then I looked it up and noticed it was a scam.

You can also point out that services like CarFax only go back to 1988 or so. There was no master database keeping track of cars in 1947...

I had a guy recently ask me for a CarFax on a 1935 Ford. What, exactly, was he expecting to see?

Better yet, tell him you have a CarFax on the car and you'll bring it to the meeting.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

Guest bkazmer

"We advertise heavy on CL with great results. I just say call only because I am blind and can not read an email or text. Works great."

Only works with people who have never heard of text to voice to text software, which the real blind people I know use all the time.

Here is the email I got :

Hello, how are you doing. I saw your post on CL yesterday and didn’t have a chance to message you until today. Anyways, I was thinking if you’d like to set a convenient time for us to meet up, with the car of course, so that I can have a personal look at the car. Will be honest though, the last time I got a car from Craigslist I got burned pretty bad and I’ve learned my lesson. I am going to have to see a car report for your car just cause a look through of the car can only do so much, and I’m pretty suspicious when dealing with cars on craigslist now. I took a look for ya and it seems http://www.quickvinlookup.com/ would be the cheapest place to grab a report since I know it’s like less than half the price of Carfax. Anyways, message me once you have the report and we will set up a good meeting time for the both of us. :)

Here wants a car fax on a non -running car???

I need to add to my listing sold as is...

It is just funny..

If he was that burned on a previous dealing on Craigs list I would be hard pressed to believe he would be back for more.

"We advertise heavy on CL with great results. I just say call only because I am blind and can not read an email or text. Works great."

Only works with people who have never heard of text to voice to text software, which the real blind people I know use all the time.

It works! Doing it for 5 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a new one:

Hi man,

I had a look at your car listing on CL just yesterday night and been meaning to ask you if the car is still available, cause if it is I’d like to meet up with ya so I could have a nice close and personal look at the car. To befrank though, every time I deal on Craigslist I always feel like I’m burning half my time on random scams and bs, and I’m honestly sick and tired of it so I’m gonna have to have you to grab a VIN check for the car. I really am sorry for any inconveience for you,but I think it’s necessary nowadays to ask for a VIN report just to ward off the scammers and stolen cars so I can work with the actual sellers on craigslist,and I really do hope you’re legit cause outta all these cars I have had a look at, I liked your car best. I took a look around for ya and I think http://vinreportlookup.com/ is the best site for getting these reports, half the price of most other sites I found and seems fairly reliable to me. Contact me when you have got that report and we’ll work out a nice time forus to meet. I’ll reimburse ya for the VIN report when I see ya in person, plan to be bringing along cash, hope we can make this deal work man. Real sorry about the hassle, just so hard to find the legit people in craigslist sometimes and don’t have plans to get scammed.

Sent from my iPad

I have one more car on the list for sale...

I do post a phone number  to call...  well a scam...

I posted a 1985 ford  ranger for sale 4x4 52,000 miles almost rust free for 2900.00  wow a car under 3K..

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

In the last century I posted a list of characteristics of spam/scam:

1) Does not mention who you are

2) Does not mention specifically what is involved (unless an inheritance)

3) Doen not identify the sender or sender address does not match the e-mail header

4) Mentions something dire (will|has) happened

5) Phone number is not a US number

and a few other things not related to car sales

• Like 1

I wonder whether the VIN service mentioned

has fraudsters working for it, trying to promote business.

(If that's the case, it's not an honest company.)

The 2 messages that Nick quotes are phrased differently,

but have the same general message.  The chances are

that they use a few scripts.

Rusty (in Posting #2) was right:  If the buyer wants

a report or inspection, let him arrange it and pay for it.

I think it's a scam, too.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Got six emails same one..:

Hi, I just viewed your ad posted. I can meet you any time to have a look at it today 2-7pm or Thursday anytime from 9:00am to 7:30pm. I work nights this

week at my shift starts at 8:00 pm to 7:00am. I can come by then to check it out anytime provide today before 7pm or anytime on Thursday. Could you possibly show it to me today? We can figure out a time and location to meet up. Let me know what time i can come to take a look it, i want to be sure it's still in good condition before i purchase it and i'm ready to pay in person by cash... You can email me here or send me your Cell # for more explanation @  usbodleactersakurland@.com  Let me know asap.  Thanks!

I posted a 200.00 car...

Some day I would like to thin the heard...

I got the same message when I listed a car on Craigslist. ICANN Whois https://whois.icann.org/en/lookup?name=lookupvin.com will give you a lot of information on who owns the site. Then you have Pawel-Michal Kapeluszny's phone number. Ask him why so many people get referred to his site.

Bernie

Good detective work, Bernie!

I never knew of that site--which displays

official ownership records of all websites.

Thank you for sharing your expertise.

• 2 weeks later...

It just never ends..:

Hi, Good morning..  My name is Shana, i viewed your advert on Craigslist and i am satisfied with the condition and price. But the best way i can pay for this is via check only then after it clears at your Bank with no problem my mover will come for pick up.if this is OK, please text me now your full name and mailing address where the check will be mailed to. Thanks

we would be needing your phone number as well.