stalling problem, '67

rocky5517

Driving along the other nite, 35 mph, straight road, flat and steady, she craps out. I pull over, start it up, all is well. A street near home is a pretty steep incline so I punch it good, goes from 25 to 55 in about 5 seconds, as usual. Come home and make the left turn at maybe 20 mph- I goose it and she stalls again.

Have to let it sit for 15 min, then I get her into the garage. Next day I take off the air cleaner, start her up, and see water dripping out thru the gasket that seperates carb from manifold, under the pass side screw adjustment. It seeps slowly, Then I see more water  2 " away, towards the driver side. It is a slow seep. I smell it and taste it- not gas, not anti freeze, just water.

Today I disconnect fuel line at carb and draw off about 10 oz of gas- looks fine.

I replace the fuel filter, which looks a little scashod, and she starts and runs fine. I notice the choke takes forever to open and I don't like the way the choke spring feels. Choke stays somewhat closed for a good 15 minutes ( car is heated up now) and after I spray cleaner in choke and work linkage back and forth it stays open . Its about 60 degrees here in Jersey- light rain.

So here's my questions

- by drawing off 10 oz of gas from the line at the carb, do I get a good sample of potential gas problems, like water or contamination?

- shouldn't that choke spring back and forth when I work if manually?

- carb was rebuilt 2 yrs ago, and I haven't put on more than 1500 miles. i wonder if something internal is wrong w/ carb?

- I put new fuel  filter and 2 cans dry gas. Could it have been a lousy filter? Haven't road tested yet due to rain.

- If choke spring is not right ( we replace it last year but I don't think it was the correct one) would the choke, if it stayed closed, choked out the engine while moving?

Sorry for the long post

Sam from Jersey

post-128204-0-55138100-1448750419_thumb.