64 Sagging Rear

CTX-SLPR

Howdy,

My Riviera has finally caught up to me after it being stashed in transit for my cross-country move.  I got a set of springs from another member because the rear end was sagging very low and I knew the front springs had been chopped on the car when I bought it.  I just pulled out one of my springs and compared it against both of the ones I'd picked up and they are the same free standing height and the curls are all in the right places.  How much do rear springs settle over time? 

I'd honestly like another 1.5in or so up in the back as its riding too low and dragging the exhaust tips on every driveway entry and exit.  Thoughts?

Spring appearance doesnt mean anything.  They can look exactly the same but have a different weight spring rate.  When I have lowered other makes of cars, the springs have only been 1/4 to 1/2 inch shorter and it related to a 2 inch drop over all.  The springs do weaken as well, so its unsprung height with no load could sit the same as a factory correct spring but once loaded it could be weak.

As for my preference in a car like this, more luxury and less sport I would keep it level.  If it had more sport like a Chevelle, Nova, GTO I would have it with a rake

Spring appearance doesnt mean anything.  They can look exactly the same but have a different weight spring rate.  When I have lowered other makes of cars, the springs have only been 1/4 to 1/2 inch shorter and it related to a 2 inch drop over all.  The springs do weaken as well, so its unsprung height with no load could sit the same as a factory correct spring but once loaded it could be weak.

As for my preference in a car like this, more luxury and less sport I would keep it level.  If it had more sport like a Chevelle, Nova, GTO I would have it with a rake

Eventually I'm going to have a whole new suspension under both ends of the car so I'm mainly trying to get it drivable.  With the V6 in the nose it's almost topped out on the front suspension which doesn't help with the exhaust dragging but the back is defiantly down of its own accord in addition to the angle.  I'll be shooting for level or a tiny rake eventually.  Keeping range of motion in the suspension is the most important consideration but I'd still like to keep the center of gravity low and keep the air from going underneath.

Lower the front some more.    :)

I'm putting the chopped springs back in, right now it's on factory H2's and as mentioned its nearly riding on the upper bumpstops, it needs to come down 1.5-2.5in eventually.