Same to you Chrysler

I refer to the latest antique Automobile magazine and Steven Rossi's article, more particularly his comments on page 33 regarding the Netherlands Fiat/Chrysler terrible name change to FCA US LLC.

Well,!! When Chrysler took over the British Hillman Rootes group, Chrysler in Australia announced that they are changing their Australian operations name to Chrysler Rootes Australia, what a terrible thing to say!!

On another tack,destiny had seen me at age15 (1958) buy my first car (Thanks to Dad) a 1929 De Soto roadster for $50 with new upholstery in unborn Calf skin, years later after a many cars I bought my first new car a Rootes Group (Chrysler Rootes Australia) Hillman Imp. I turned this little car into a road racer (and daily driver) capable of 123 Mph with a hot 956cc engine.

What now, well I own a 1939 Chrysler Royal, which was first owned new by a Catholic priest and then became a rural taxi cab and an occasional funeral and wedding car.

Where was I ????

R

• Like 1

Thought about it but the obvious reponse is so politically incorrect on several levels & undobtedly offensive to some so didn't. However if you listen to what Stephano in "Madagascar 3" does to verbs and then make words from the acronym as Amerricans are wont, you would understand some of it.

"... Chrysler in Australia announced that they are changing their Australian operations name to Chrysler Rootes Australia, what a terrible thing to say!!"

That indeed was a terrible thing to say, and with that sort of attitude towards Australia, I'm surprised that you'd have anything to do with Chrysler "prods" these days.

You asked : "Where was I".  Upon further reflection it has become opaquely clear, that as I originally stated, you were right there with your bang-on analysis of Chrysler's new attitude with respect to Australia.  A somewhat completely unfocused response on your part is certainly warranted.  Just because you're "Down Under" doesn't mean that this sort of thing should be tolerated.  Must be some Chrysler Rootes Poms in the mix somehow.

Just my diagnosis,

Grog

Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like? You've got to be kidding me. I've been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that?

Maybe that rootes means to pull out, like a strong wind on a tree.

"Rootes" (Fr. pron. 'roo-tay') is merely the French form of the transitive/intransitive verb, "root".  Using the agent noun suffix "-er", one encounters the term "rooter" which has various connotations in both the French and root Latin.  I think what you mean is the term "uproot" which should not be confused with the term "root up", which could, in turn,  but should not be confused with the term "belly up".  "Root up" is different Down Under than same Up Above, depending on one's latitude of the moment.

My brane Hertz,

Grog

Many years ago I was sitting at a bar on an island on the Great Barrier Reef in Australia.  The cute barmaid was all enthused about a team that played Aussie Rules football, a subject about which I knew, and still know, absolutely zilch.  I asked her:  "Is that the team you root for?"  She looked absolutely horrified and said:  "Good God no, not the WHOLE TEAM!!"  I think I learned what "root" means in Aussie slang.  Now, go back and read "Chrysler Rootes Australia".

The Rootes that he is refering to is the ENGLISH firm of "ROOTS GROUP ' a car maker in England that made Humber ,Hillman ,Singer , Alpine , Hillman Inp just to name a few. What  Richard is talking about is when Chrysler took over the Roots Co in Australia they were going to call the merger " CHRYSLER  - ROOTES  - AUSTRALIA ". Any one that knows the history of the motor car in the world would have known of the ROOTS GROUP  makers of motor cars.

Well Rootes Motors LTD started out as a London based service company that absorbed Sunbeam, Humber, Commer (trucks) & Hillman. As usual they overextended in the sixties and were slowly absorbed into Chrysler which led to the Chrysler owned Sunbeam Tiger having a Ford engine. Its demise soon followed.

Much of my B/P 'vette's (production, not prototype) competition came from a well prepared C/P Sunbeam Tiger but he could never get enough tire under it.