Chrome plating a radiator shell

scott12180

Good point --- yes, to be seated getting the price :-) , but do you truly want show-quality chrome or not. 

Has anyone used Paul's Chrome?  Do they do "show-quality good" work? If not Paul's, any recommendations?

Here's the point --- this is for an original car, or one which will never have show-quality paint.  But the radiator is pretty rusty so it needs some help.  It is possible to paint a car to look "old".  Can you plate chrome to look like it's 85 years old? 

Any recommendations on who could do such a thing? 

For an original look, you may want to try to clean it using Quick-Glow and a buffer or one of those microfiber balls on a drill. Chrome doesn't rust.  The rust you see comes from cracks and pits that extend through the chrome into the steel.  If you clean off all of the rust "stains" you may be surprised how it looks.  The pits or rough areas will still be there, but they will be metal colored or black. The Quick-Glow has some sort of wax in it so it keeps the steel from rusting again right away.

Edited by Dwight Romberger (see edit history)

I have had work done by Cambridge Chrome http://cambridgecustomchrome.com/and would recommend them. They did a Model T Ford rad shell for me a few years ago. It had "made in canada" in fine print under the Ford logo and it was still very clear after the rechroming. Much smaller item than the Packard probably but the price was in the $600 range about 5 years ago. Some rechromers offer show chrome or driver chrome so be sure to specify what you want so it will be priced appropriately. 

When I did the radiator shell for my 31 Pierce about 12 years ago, Librandi's (in Harrisburg Pa) offered me "factory" chrome (possibly some waves in metal) for $700 or show chrome for $1200.  It's all in the preparation labor, so if you're OK with it just being stripped and plated, with little concern for metal imperfections, then price can be more reasonable.  All that said, in the current economy, I'd guess even the lower level chrome would be $1000..........

Had my shell nickel plated in Sacramento area.

Cost $500 for repair and prep and $1100 for plating.

There are few platers around because of EPA and state restrictions.

I found out that time is of no concern to the plater. He said 3 mo. and it took nearly 5 mo.

One plater in area would not even give a estimate of time. It may be you would have to slip him a bonus.

This windshield frame is brass but there is also a small independent piece of trim that goes around it.  To get both chromed was 4500.00.   I think the small piece was as much as the frame.  

A buddy had a Model J shell chromed 3 years ago.  That was 5k for top of the line work.

post-76712-0-93137000-1448568170_thumb.j

Preparation is the most important part. It depends on the condition before. What repairs are needed? How much polishing is needed? How many copper strikes and polishing to fill pits, before any nickle goes on? You have a broad range indicated above, but they are not fully relevant without knowing the condition of your shell. You also need to ship it, probably and will have to make a wooden box for that purpose so it arrives at both ends in the same condition it was dispatched.

You also need to make sure the outfit can do such delicate jobs. Radiator shells distort easily due to excessive heat if they are polished too aggressively.

31 Buick rad shell was done two months ago for $900. It had slight surface rust and a couple very small dents. I sandblasted the inside surface to get rid of some heavier rust.

It came back looking like a piece of jewelry. The luster seems slightly more "bluish" as did all of the pieces that were done. After reading the posts, the $900 I spent doesn't hurt quite so bad.

My chrome work was done by Wells Bumpers in Collinsville, OK.

I hesitate to say this but my gut feel is that if you choose the lower quality prep job, then you've given the chromer the permission to cut every corner and that you'll accept this no matter how unacceptable it may be. I have read on several posts that most reputable chromers offer only one quality option - their best.

Good luck,

Joel