1908 Babcock

I remember being in Ralph DeAngelis' (RIP) garage in Stamford, CT, many years ago and seeing his Babcock. His was a larger touring car, probably a 1911 or thereabouts. Neat car. I think he told me it was the only Babcock known to survive.

One of the sad things about a lot of early cars, especially the ones that were more limited production, was that few survived into present day.  It's great you had a chance to see a Babcock.  Any chance you took some pictures of the car?

The gasoline Babcock was built in Watertown, New York, by the H.H. Babcock Company.  A 1910 touring survives, and is in the Jefferson County Historical Museum in that town.  It was restored by White Post Restorations in the late 1980's, and has been stored at that museum since then.  I was involved in the restoration, doing the interior and top.  There used to be a picture of it on the Internet but I can't find it now....

Yes, 1988-89 is when it was done.  It was a striking car, I'll see if I can dig up a picture of it....you probably walked right past me in the upholstery shop!  It was my first button tufting job, and a great car to learn on...though I had guidance by the master trimmer who was also on staff at the time....

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

All of the mechanicals will be Dodge. The body from the body maker, in this case Babcock.  Same scenario as most upper market cars where the chassis maker either did not make body work at all e.g. Rolls-Royce pre WW2, or made a standard line of bodies themselves but had their more expensive lines built by outside body suppliers/coachbuilders e.g. Packard and others.