What causes a carb to backfire?

Lebowski

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, Chucker said:

If it’s timing  backfire through the carb is_____ was iming and backfiring our the tailpipe is ____ timing

fast or slow which one is which ? 

Backfire is through the carburator usually caused by a lean mixture........."Afterfire" is in the exhaust pipe or muffler usually caused by a rich mixture.   Very seldom is timing the cause.

2 hours ago, Chucker said:

If it’s timing  backfire through the carb is_____ was iming and backfiring our the tailpipe is ____ timing

fast or slow which one is which ? 

Hey thanks so much .

2 minutes ago, Tinindian said:

Backfire is through the carburator usually caused by a lean mixture........."Afterfire" is in the exhaust pipe or muffler usually caused by a rich mixture.   Very seldom is timing the cause.

Guys,

While always an interesting topic,

Lebowski's post is almost 4 years old

Here's an update on my '60 Edsel. The straight 6 was using a quart of oil every 50 miles so I found a similar Ford straight 6 in PA and bought that. Since I had never done an engine swap before I needed someone to help me (actually me helping him) and Junkyard Jeff (from this site and the HAMB) volunteered to cruise over from Dayton, Ohio. Due to various problems (like me getting the wrong gaskets, etc.) he ended up making 5 trips over here to the Louisville area (about 160 miles each way) and we eventually got the engine in and running. I drove the Edsel for about a year and then sold it to a guy in California. The old engine is sitting in my back yard under a pile of weeds. If anyone wants it for free let me know. Thanks again to Jeff for helping me out....

PICT0035.JPG

PICT0007.JPG

• Like 1