Where to buy 88/89 rebuilt radio module?

Guest tb3

My radio is starting to do the hissing and crackling thing.

I tried to purchase one on the East Coast Reatta parts website and it says the item isn't available at this time.

Is there another place I can get one or have mine rebuilt? 

MNR electronics in Michigan does these, as does Precision Radio and United Radio. See the Reatta resources sticky thread in this forum for contact info for all three outfits. I've had dealings with MNR and they are a decent outfit, someone else here a while back was really happy with one of the other companies but right now can't remember which it was.

KDirk

Thanks Kdirk!

I just filled out the M&R electronics form.  I'll call them in a few minutes and ask how much they charge.

Also going to send you a pm in just a minute.

Think they were used into the 90s in Pickups. Can even see the module in a 1990-91 radio. Was very common in the day & used by Buick, Olds, Pontiac, & Chevvy. There were two models: with equalizer and not. The 88-89 head CRT has screens for both.

Dredging now but think the ones with equalizer were 16072780 and 16072790 and without 16072800 & 16075870. I believe the Reatta used the 16072780 & subs.

http://www.mnrelectronics.com/delco-universal-receiver-box-with-eq/

While there are many donor vehicles with suitable RIM modules, I recommend rebuilding a module at this point. Most of these even up to the mid 90's vintage are exhibiting -or soon will be - the same faulures and thus a used module might get you several months to a couple of years before it too is in need of geriatric care. I hate replacing the same part again especially if access to it is bad. Fix it and forget it.

KDirk

When my module started getting static I went to my local Junk yard and got a module from a 1990 Chevy Pickup. I compared the model numbers and they were the same. The one from the Chevy worked fine and I used it most of this summer. I finally got around and modified the original bad one removing the outputs and wiring in the low level output so I could use an outboard amp. I used the procedure found on Ronnie's site. I had a very small Sony outboard amp that came off an old Sony pull out radio. 4 channel 18 watt. The modified unit works great, No more DNR noise reduction. better output than the factory. It all is installed in the center console. Now that all the speakers have been changed its sounding great. Just need to wire in my mp3 player.

Out of curiosity, what are they getting to rebuild one currently? I have a few that need various repairs and trying to decide if it is a worthwhile expenditure. I've gutted the output stage in a couple of mine to use outboard amps but would like to have a couple of good stock ones on hand.

KDirk

I've done the capacitor replacement repair a few years back.....it worked great.

But now my radio volume seems to die-out....and appears to be temperature-related.  If the car is sitting in the sun, there's no volume at all.  Or, if the car isn't too hot, it will last a little while before the volume fades away.

Did anyone have this problem?

Out of curiosity, what are they getting to rebuild one currently? I have a few that need various repairs and trying to decide if it is a worthwhile expenditure. I've gutted the output stage in a couple of mine to use outboard amps but would like to have a couple of good stock ones on hand.

KDirk

the guy on the phone said it sounds like it could be about a $150 repair, but worst case, around $200.  They said they'd call me after they diagnose it.

fwiw, he checked to see if he had one on hand to sell me + core charge, and didn't have any.  So I definetly will have to send mine in

Padgett is right that there are several modules that will work.

When I go to the U Pull It type junk yards I know some Chev and GMC trucks do use these modules but rarely check them. What I do look for is any Reatta, Riviera, Toronado or full size Oldsmobile, even up to about 1994.

What I look for is to make sure the face plate has the five equalizer switches. Many of these cars will have only the treble and base and those modules will work but only two of the five equalizer switches will then work.

I then test them in one of my cars and I also have found that sometimes the volume is a little low. If they have static or low volume they then go in the trash.

The assemblies in the full size Oldsmobiles look the same but the face plate background lights will not light up in a Reatta so you only can use the radio module and discard the face plate, chassis and tape player assembly. I used to rewire the face plate so the lights would light up if the tape player was good but those days have past.

My radio is starting to do the hissing and crackling thing.

I tried to purchase one on the East Coast Reatta parts website and it says the item isn't available at this time.

Is there another place I can get one or have mine rebuilt?

We do have the radios back in stock now. They had sold out a few weeks ago, and we just got some more in. I updated the website and if you don't want to wait for M&R's turn around time I can get you one out this week.

We do have the radios back in stock now. They had sold out a few weeks ago, and we just got some more in. I updated the website and if you don't want to wait for M&R's turn around time I can get you one out this week.

Payment sent as of a few seconds ago.

Perfect timing too!

Now I don't need to borrow one from Kdirk  :)

Probably a good thing too. I checked the one module I have that wasn't known bad and it crackles badly so not worth borrowing even temporarily. I really need to start repairing these, have half a dozen sitting waiting for rework and don't much want to pay retail for them all to be rebuilt. Eh, just one more thing I don't have time for.

KDirk

Yeah. Actually working on window mirror switches now. Hoping to get three sets ready. And still need to get at least one (or was it two?) Compass mirrors and harnesses. Just got off work at 8:30pm from running new waterlines to restore decent pressure to two bathrooms before Thanksgiving company arrives at the customer's house tomorrow. Gotta love these last minute projects.

Tb3 and I are meeting uo tomorrow night to replace his headlight switch (he is also getting a pair of window/mirror switches) and then Sunday I pick up a complete parts car and haul it back to start tearing it down. Heck Dave, you should be here for the fun. This one is gonna get wiped out worse than the one you and I did last as he is taking the engine and probably the tranny and cradle too. I'm pulling ALL the glass this time and probably the fuel tank and filler neck if they are in good shape. When we are done I'll probably section the body shell and haul it to the scrap yard. I'll have to get some pictures of this one, it's going to be stripped bare.

KDirk

I went on Craigslist and think I found the car you are going to buy. I hope you talked him down a bit as he is not going to sell that car to anyone else. But as we know there are plenty of parts off that car that you will be able to use, and the best part is that if it is a running/driving car all the silver boxes work. Be sure to grab that vent bracket that is mounted on the fire wall. John [Machiner] knows what it is and probably has a picture for you.

I know there are at least 2 compass mirrors there for me, and I believe a window/mirror switch and then we are square. You send me that stuff and I'll send you a no cost/obligation "care" package of stuff I won't need. Thanks!

Dave,

No, I am not paying the asking price. Even after bargaining I'm probably giving him a bit more than really neccessary but considering it is local (1.5 hours away) and has what I am after I'm willing to give him a little extra Christmas money. I'm going to make out ok on this deal anyway as some stuff I'll be pulling is already spoken for. Need some clarification on that vent bracket you are talking about. Hopefully John posts a picture of it.

KDirk

Dave: Be sure to grab that vent bracket that is mounted on the fire wall. John [Machiner] knows what it is and probably has a picture for you.

Kevin: Need some clarification on that vent bracket you are talking about. Hopefully John posts a picture of it.

I too need some clarification. I'm not sure what firewall mounted bracket of which you speak.

Could it be the actuator arm Merlin and I had to replace on our respective cars to fix the "air flow through the defroster vent only" issue?

This thing?:

post-109760-0-50844100-1448334283_thumb.

post-109760-0-45304200-1448334311_thumb.

post-109760-0-67495500-1448334326_thumb.

• 4 weeks later...

Without disassmbling the unit partially (and doing so depends on how comfortable you are with such) it will probably be difficult to retrieve the cassette. M & R Radio in Saginaw, Michigan (www.mnreletronics.com) does repair service on GM/Delco radios and they should be able to pull the tape and repair the unit if you send it to them.

You might try to carefully pull the tape out by getting a long nose pliers on the edge of it while pressing the eject button and pulling up and out but this may or may not be successful.

KDirk

Most commonly it is a broken or slipping drive belt, seems like a GM cassette is good for about 10 years. At least eating a 8-track is no longer common.

Only thing I use the deck in my 88 for now is the adapter for my cell phone.