My 66 skylark

Guest Freedom9205

Guest Freedom9205

Ikeep trying to find what my car was from production but cant find anything i have a rear that hides in the trunk it goes up and down on a track but cant find anything as well what came eith the car v8 i get but wasnt fhere different ones any help is appreciated

Guest Freedom9205

Yes 66 skylark but there been so many modification to the car before i got it i just want to know ehat was in it from factory ...rear window recesses into the trunk by accessory switch on dash eill post pics tomorrow

Knew of the power rear window in some Lincolns and the Mercury Turnpike Cruiser but never saw one in a GM car other than wagons before. Aftermarket kit ? I find it hard to believe the factory would allow that large a reduction in trunk space (in the Fords it was reverse angles and went down alongside the rear seat backs.) & where does the spare tire mount ?

BTW that styling of the rear (C ) pillars I first saw on a Fitch Sprint & were called "sail panels".

Wow, what a brilliant piece of insight and invention. I am impressed.  It beats the convex rear window I have on my 66 Olds Starfire, which does extend far into the sail panels!  Predictable consequences for the package tray resulted, due to ice and moisture.  My Olds and your Buick look like they should be husband and wife, if that makes any sense!!

• 2 weeks later...

I think he meant the way the rear window recesses in and goes right down to the bottom

GM calls this tunnelback backlight styling and is used on all four divisions "A" bodies two door hardtops 1966-67 and C3 corvette to mid 70's.

First seen on the 1963-64 Porsche Carrara GTS or more commonly called the 904. See the link:

http://www.conceptcarz.com/images/Porsche/63_Porsche_904_Carrera_GTS_DV_06-Chris-04.jpg

Wow, what a brilliant piece of insight and invention. I am impressed.  It beats the convex rear window I have on my 66 Olds Starfire, which does extend far into the sail panels!  Predictable consequences for the package tray resulted, due to ice and moisture.  My Olds and your Buick look like they should be husband and wife, if that makes any sense!!

The 1966 Starfire has a CONCAVE rear backlight. see the link:

http://classiccargallery.com/i/inv/full/101_0546.JPG