MrEarl

MrEarl's Old Buick Barn

As some of you may know,  I have been working on building a new garage since my retirement a couple of years ago. I have been spending ALL my time on it, it is going sooooooo sloooowwwww and I feel I have been neglecting all my fitty fo's and even my old faithful first Buick Barn. To ease my conscience a bit, I thought I would share some pictures and a few comments on my "Old Buick Barn".

After Rita and I completed building our house back in '87, I set about building my "get away". (This was before the term "Man Cave" ever came into use, but I never use that term even today) I ran 100 amps electric along with telephone, cable and security down from the house. Prices on cedar were good in those days so I used cedar on the siding and the interior walls. I had salvaged some 2 X 8 and 2 X 10 fir from a lumber company that was being torn down and most of the framing is built from it. It had been brought in from the west back in the early twenties. I loved working with that wood. I had help with the concrete slab but other than that did all the work by myself. A few years after the initial build I enclosed the lower side so as to make more room for compressor, sandblasting, grinding and other dirty jobs that I don't want in the "car room".

Looking back and seeing how much full time work I am spending on the new garage, I wonder how the heck I ever built the old one while working a full time job and spending time with family. 

So here below are a few of my favorite pictures, some of which are pretty old and some of the Buicks have gone on down Buick Highway.......

TheBuickBarnBuild001_zpse85fd9cc.jpg

TheBuickBarnBuild002_zps083fb1cd.jpg

TheBuickBarnBuild004_zpsac3b2316.jpg

Edit, just ran down and took this picture of what I call my Sunrise/Sunset. I started it at sunrise one day and finished at sunset. Seeing sparks when the hammer hits the nailhead was always my sign to put away the tools for the day.  I think the cedar has weathered beautifully.

P1010793_zpskqgpe177.jpg

fiftysixinbarn.jpg

FiftysixandDora.jpg

100b3590.jpg

More to come.............

• Like 13

100_0490.jpg

Buick Barn at the end of the rainbow. Never did find the pot of gold......

100_0448.jpg

37c79103.jpg

9871760c.jpg

c31bcd5e.jpg

0d865f19.jpg

but who needs gold BuickBarnandBC.jpg

• Like 10

Beautiful, Lamar.

I cherish my visit to the Buick Barn in  Buick Acres.

Ben

no more than I cherish your visit

• Like 1

What craftsmanship!  How many cars can you get into that barn?

Thanks JD. and only one... and if it's a Roadmaster, it is tight

My oh my, Lamar ... that's an awesome Buick Barn!!!!

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (awaiting new owner)
"What's it gonna take to lay a few burdens down?" __ Newsboys __ 'Million Pieces'
  • Like 1

Thanks ScarredKnightfan, glad you stopped in. 

a few more shots from around the barn...several years ago...

100_4991.jpg?720

100_4996.jpg?882

100_5013.jpg?451

100_5008.jpg?906

100_5011.jpg?395

100_5016.jpg?348

100_1273.jpg?176

• Like 7

What a great building, Lamar. I can't decide if the time goes faster, or do we just get slower? It seems like the former, to me.

Keith

Thanks for the compliment Keith. 

I really don't think I have slowed down a lot maybe, 5-10% at the most and for that I thank God.  I do find myself looking for "stuff" a lot and getting to the barn and asking myself WTF did I come down here after and as soon as I get back to the house it dawns on me. But yea, life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer to the end it gets the faster it goes. I've just got so much I want to get done before see this

74315658790A3FDB7D8E9A2A46E5.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks ScarredKnightfan, glad you stopped in. 

Me, too!  YW.  Just wish I could LITERALLY stop in!

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com

pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (awaiting new owner)
"Maybe we've been living with our eyes half open" __ Switchfoot __ 'Meant To Live'

you're right Ben. "Look Dear, I bought you an new necklace"  didn't go over well with Rita. Enter smiley face with knots on head...

A few shots from the inside

Me and Buttercup, before dis-assembly -

100_0269.jpg?94

and after dis-assembly....sadly and embarrassed to say, she is still apart...ADD? Maybe, or maybe another project just jumped in front of it... that sounds better...

100_5049.jpg?992

100_5019.jpg?2

100_5021.jpg?243

100_5022.jpg?848

100_5079.jpg?215

100_5267.jpg?408

100_5276.jpg?567

100_5269.jpg?185

• Like 8

Sounds by Pioneer, since 1971....

Cold Beer by International Harvester, since 1950..bought to keep my baby milk cold, running non-stop ever since.

100_5034.jpg?376100_5282.jpg?730

100_5084.jpg?670

100_5038.jpg?906

100_5040.jpg?661

While outside the fall out shelter, the world is frying, but we're safe and cozy and eating Rock Candy, officially called Carbohydrate Supplement...

100_5042.jpg?85

100_5057.jpg?404

Old bowling alley and my first draftsman chair...I usually just stood...

100_5060.jpg?480

• Like 6