Mandatory Deduction

This has been a topic of some discussion at several recent committee meetings, and it has also been discussed elsewhere on the CCCA website, so it is topical to see the question raised here. <BR>There has been one change in the rules concerning turn signals that will make this somewhat easier: the term "Non-Authentic" has been removed from the "Lights" section of Judging Rules on page 10 of the CCCA Handbook and Member's Roster. What this means is that you may install turn signals on your Full Classic?, that use either an out-of-sight switch, or a period piece, with the existing lights on the car. The lights used for signals may be the original parking lights or period accessory items. I know of a couple of cars using Trippe Speedlites for turn signals! Very noticeable! <BR>The caveat is still to avoid using "Modern or Commercial" signals. So if you borrow the signal swith and fender mounted lights off the International pickup out behind the barn, you will still be subject to the mandatory two point deduction.<BR>The CCCA is encouraging the use of proper safety equipment and has for many years. Safety glass is required in all windows but the beveled back glass in some convertible tops, fire extinguishers are required at all CCCA events, Two-to-four wheel brake conversions are looked upon favorably, and the CCCA Judging rules stress the correct operation of all safety equipment installed on your Full Classic?. The two point deduction should not be viewed as discouraging the installation and use of turn signals, rather the challenge is to install a system that is in keeping with the character of a Full Classic? automobile.<BR>I am doing this job now on our Bentley, so I am familiar with some of the problems. Good luck on your installation!

• 2 weeks later...

I have just returned from a National Board Meeting at CCCA headquarters in Chicago and I am pleased to report another development concerning the Turn Signal issue. Wait just a minute before you do anything wild with those signals!<BR>Reference to Turn Signals has been removed from the list of Mandatory Deductions and a new Judging Policy relative to these obvious safety items reads like this: "Turn Signal switches, including column mounted, are acceptable when mounted in a neat and workmanlike manner and finished appropriately to coordinate with the interior of the car."<BR>What this means is that you may now install a neat looking turn signal switch, which might not be a period accessory, without fear of automatically losing the dreaded 2 points. If you insist on clamping that rusty truck switch to the column with a pair of vice-grips, you will still lose points. But if you neatly install a good quality switch that you take the time to finish in the same color as the rest of the interior, no one will deduct any points for authenticity. For the signal switch, that is. You are on your own elsewhere, but this should help.