SOLD: Rare 1932 Buick Series 90 96S Rumble Seat Coupe

motoringicons

SOLD!

1932 Buick Series 90 Model 96S Rumble Seat Coupe. This is an extremely rare car. It is one of only 586 built and one of only two listed in the CCCA roster. The Series 90 Buicks were built on the long, 134" wheelbase chassis and powered by the large, 345 cid, eight cylinder, overhead valve engines. They are considered as Full Classics by the Classic Car Club of America.

This desirable Buick was restored about 25 years ago from an excellent original and well preserved car. The mileage shown is about 71,000 which is believed to be original. When the past owner purchased the car, he embarked on a no-expense spared mechanical freshening in order to drive the car on the 2013 CCCA Lincoln Highway Cross Country Caravan. Unfortunately, health issues prevented him from doing this and he sold the car. Prior to selling the car, the entire chassis was scrutinized and examined. A complete brake job was performed, all the wiring was replaced, six new tires installed, the fuel system completely rebuilt from gas tank to carburetor, ignition rebuilt, etc, etc. Today, the car runs and drives like new. The engine starts easily, runs strong and solid and pulls the car down the road with speed and ease. The transmission shifts amazingly easy, the brakes stop the car firmly and square, the steering is light and responsive, etc. All of the gauges, lights, etc operate as they should.
   Cosmetically, the car presents extremely well. The paint looks great and shows only the expected signs of wear from being applied 25 years ago. Much of the interior remains original and is in very good condition. The rumble seat area is extremely clean. The dashboard is excellent including the gauges. The chrome and stainless is also excellent as is the glass, etc. The body is super straight and solid. The doors open and close like bank vault doors with even gaps and margins. The hood fits the body and radiator properly. The fenders are just as clean underneath as they are on the top. This car sits and looks right from all angles. 
   The Series 90 Buicks are in many aspects better engineered and more enjoyable to drive than many comparable Classics of the period. This car is not only extremely rare, but it is ready to use and enjoy. A rare opportunity. Chassis Number: 2619759, Engine Number: 2770987. We are asking XXXXXX but will consider realistic offers. Located in Jefferson, WI.
Please call 734-730-4274 or email directly at: motoringicons@hotmail.com for additional photos, more information, or to schedule a viewing and test drive. Thank you very much.

post-77136-0-53545900-1447107889_thumb.j

post-77136-0-73418200-1447107896_thumb.j

post-77136-0-69553600-1447107903_thumb.j

post-77136-0-70853000-1447107910_thumb.j

post-77136-0-62549400-1447107919_thumb.j

post-77136-0-41853400-1447107928_thumb.j

post-77136-0-77497200-1447107937_thumb.j

post-77136-0-80145600-1447107946_thumb.j

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)

I just want to go on record saying I love this car. I had a 1932 Buick 90 Series two years ago and enjoyed driving it more than almost anything else I've ever had. It was just the right balance of power, competence, and old-car "feel." This is a car I would keep for myself.

I'll tell you, this car steers about as light as a Model A Ford. It is far easier to steer than a 1932 Cadillac V-12 or Packard Standard Eight. Yes, I have driven all of these cars within the last two weeks.

Typically, what makes a prewar car steer easy or hard is the condition of the steering box. If the steering box is worn out, improperly adjusted or has the wrong lube it it, it will not steer worth a darn. I have driven same year/make automobiles that steer easily or steer like a truck with flat front tires.

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)

"Typically, what makes a prewar car steer easy or hard is the condition of the steering box. If the steering box is worn out, improperly adjusted or has the wrong lube it it, it will not steer worth a darn. I have driven same year/make automobiles that steer easily or steer like a truck with flat front tires."

You are right about that. A lot of people don't know what it is like to drive a big, prewar car that doesn't steer like a truck. Most people don't understand how prewar steering gear boxes really work. 

PS- I just LOVE the look of the coupe body on the long wheelbase chassis. Talk about personal luxury!!!!

Edited by rusty12 (see edit history)

Looking at the firewall from the engine compartment side, the car looks to have been green at one time. I keep seeing the descriptors "high quality no expense spared" applied to these ads. Also the green interior does not quite fit the color scheme. Not discrediting the design of the car or what the mechanics may be like, I simply recall that when working in a body shop 40 years ago if the hidden painted features did not match the exterior colors you were giving the customer a "slip shod job". And yes, I worked used car detail when the dealer would instruct me to repaint the car a more saleable color. Never mind under the hood etc.
Just saying that when you are asking this type of money there should be no excuses. I agree with John S that this car has already been advertised elsewhere. The cars we like, we tend to follow to hope they make it to a "Buick Loving Home". I keep seeing them going from dealer to dealer. Yesterday I just offered on a teens Buick on which the owner pulled a $ value from who knows where(about double value guide price for its non running condition) I offered more than the value guide price. His reply was that if he had to take less he would stick it back in the machinery shed and let it rot!
But then said he appreciated me coming out to inspect the car. He said that I was the only person sincerely interest in the car to drive. The only other calls were from brokers who wanted to list the car for him. Also they told him he had the car underpriced.

• 2 months later...

The cars we like, we tend to follow to hope they make it to a "Buick Loving Home". I keep seeing them going from dealer to dealer. 

Evidently when it sold in January, it didn't find a home yet.

It's still going dealer to dealer.

Now it's for sale on the Hemmings website,

by a dealer in St. Louis, Missouri, asking a 

shade under $70,000:

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/buick/96s/1808682.html

The market for 1920's cars is certainly subdued;

but what do Buick guys think the market strength is for early 1930's cars like this?

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)