Taking my Knight engine apart

JFranklin

It would be nice to find some form of instruction on engine rebuilding before I screw up more on this engine. I need to replace a babbeted rod and subsequently got the piston ring stuck in a sleeve slot. So now I must remove the cylinders to get at the mess. I have found only fleeting references on this operation. I know not to lay the sleeves on their sides and not to let the junk rings relax when pulling the heads. anyone else have suggentions? I have all the bolts loosened but now worried to proceed blindly, that is how I ended up in this mess to start with. I am a member of W.O.K.R. but have not found much info there either. 

The Wokr has a booklet on how to repair, check the on line store. After removing the water cover you can remove the nuts for the heads and remove the heads individually.with the appropriate items removed you can remove the nuts and lift the upper block and the sleeves will remain in place. Removing sleeve pins and rod cap the piston sleeve assembly can be removed.

Jerry

• 3 months later...

How is your rebuilding adventure going?

Just curious how the project is coming along and wishing you good luck.

There is a great article on the Jan-March "Starter" (WOKR) magazine on sleeve rods and how to run them in. Don't miss reading it.

Bill

Hi,  The engine water-cover is off and a replacement was found due to too much corrosion. All the bolts are off as well as the pan, I have found a new rod to fix the one the bearing was out on. Then I stopped.  I am still not sure if I need to capture the junk rings in their compressed state or plan on finding replacements. I have read that allowing them to relax upon removal allows carbon build loss causing more smoking than normal. this was from an old mechanics journal.

post-88069-0-16863000-1456373874_thumb.j

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Looking forward to seeing your photos.

Thanks for keeping us up to date.

I'm still looking for my Willys Knight retirement project car.

Bill

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...