rear seals on crankshaft

Guest 23columbia@gmail.com

just spent 4 months rebuilding a 22? 6 y, but don,t remember having or seeing remnants of a rear oil seal. the block appears grooved out, but the cap is smooth. am l crazy or is this back when some engines didn,t have a rear seal? also, does the front of the crankshaft get some type of seal where it comes out of the timing chain housing. please respond with answers, phone numbers, emails, pictures, drawings, anything. we,ve come so far and now this! steve, 23 or thereabouts, LSRRoadster.

post-135757-0-32392000-1446265837_thumb.

What?? Oil running out or assembly anxieties???

You probably have a 226 (F6226=automotive (actually, truck), F226=Ind'l, PF (or similar P-)= 226 free standing power plant)...

Google Cont'l Engine Manuals; some hits for Wisconsin/Cont'l engines (or vice versa) or similar website should come up that has free online manuals, including for the 226...

thanks. sorry, my typing is not very good. my 6y, i,m sure, is not the f series. it,s from 1922 or 1923. i have seceral of the manuals, parts lists, from that era, and found lots of info, just not on the front and rear oil seals. i was hoping to find someone who may have torn apart and rebuilt a 6 y and more importantly remebers! or has pictures. i read somewhere, that the crank is flanged and throws rhe oil forward. my crank is flanged, sort of like a reverse umbrellla, and since the cap is not slotted, that is i see no way to attach a preformed o ring or gasket or even a rope seal. my car is a columbia, i know many other brands had 6 y,s in them, mostly only 1922 to 1925 though. please pass this onto anyone that may have experience. thanks again. sn

oh! yes it is putting back together fear! i live in mexico, near guadalajara, found a machine shop to work on the engine. it had been running very good, but stated blowing smoke excessively. nor knowing when it had ever been overhauled, and not knowing why it was smoking, we went ahead and rebuilt, resleeved, machined, babbited, spray welded, balanced, re-aligned i think everything that moved, wiggled or even gigglled! so of course i don,t want to blow it on the final details!

My apologies---I completely misread your original post and galloped off in the completely wrong direction...

The 6Y  was primarily an auto engine but did get into a Commerce truck...

Try Garrad (Gerry/Jerry) Moon at Monte's Eqpmt, obsolete Cont'l parts dealers north of Chicago, Ill

garradmoon@montes@flash.net

montesequipment.com

If no help try P A Ross machinery in Dallas, TX, also noted as being helpful with old Cont'ls parossmachinery.com

About the only familiar name using it that has a forum I know of was the 1923 Auburn model 6-43...period Auburns also used several other Cont'ls...you might try posting this question to the Auburn-Cord-Dues forum here in the hope someone there's familiar with the 6Y, or what the oil seal arrangements were in the other period Cont'ls in Auburns.....

I'll dig around in the AM to see if there's any car clubs you could try...

Again, my apologies...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...