Need major help with a 29 Chrysler 75

• 3 weeks later...
Hi there Bevans077,

There should be 3 levers and a horn button on the steering wheel one lever is to advance or retard your distributor another is to control the throttle on the carburettor and the the last one controls the light switch, that's why so many wire connecters.

Something like in this photo.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Sasha39 (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Bevans077 said:

Question, which levers on the steering wheel control what? And also what are all the wire connecters for?

1467109519308603598164.jpg

The electrical tabs on the switch at the case of the column are for the lights. You need a wiring diagram in order to set it up correctly. That unit is called a CLUM switch. They are not too difficult to repair if need be. Here is a similar diagram for a 1929 Imperial '80'....

wiring diagram.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Ok, that makes sense. I'm going to have to replace the wiring anyway, it's all falling apart. I just looked in the instruction book and found a diagram, don't know why I don't think to check it first. (Actually it's an older copy of an original). 

So then if my column only has 2 levers, could one of broke off? I guess I need to figure which one in missing. ( It just looks to me like the bottom of the column is complete, going by Sasha's picture) also, is the upper tab for the throttle, and the lower for the timing? It's hard for me to see.

That would be right, there should be 3 levers so one appears to be broken off, you are also correct about the positioning of the controls, upper tab for the throttle and the lower tab for the advance / retard on the distributor.

Looking at your engine photos I can see the connecting rods for the throttle but can't see any connecting rods for the advance / retard but when I look at the bottom of the steering Column I see two connection lugs and the light swim so you would need 3 levers to control their usage and then I look at you distributor and the base plate is sitting in the wrong direction to connect any control rods and looking at the steering wheel I say that they only had a throttle control and light switch and that the advance / retard was controlled by a cable from the dash, just my thoughts.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Sorry Bevans, 

I couldn't see the connecting rod for the advance / retard in your photos of your engine it looks Ok, can you move the connecting lugs at the bottom of the steering box to see which levers move also the same with the light switch can you rotate the tube that the light switch is mounted on to see what happens at the steering wheel end and if it moves any of the levers, any chance of a photo of the steering wheel looking straight at it so we can see the entire steering wheel.

5 hours ago, Sasha39 said:

As for your Water Jackets there is a company here in Australia that makes them out if Brass if you can't find them over there, here is their website.

http://www.vintageandclassicreproductions.com/chrysler.htm

Thank you for the pictures Sasha, but as for the water jackets, I was just curious. I have 2 engines, one with steel and one with copper. But I have a broken tee handle , I might have to order one

Hi bevans077,

i have used Australian made water jacket covers they fitted fine. Used stainless bolts to fix them. I believe jay astheimer has the steering wheel control levers for sale. My 1929 75 has three levers as per sasha39's earlier posts. Happy to get photos if needed.

John F

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's been raining the last 2 days and I'm waiting for parts and pieces I have ordered. So I went down into my basement and started messing with the chrome for the phaeton. I have all the coachwork and panels for the 2nd cowl, so I thought I would try and figure out the windshields. The front one was pretty easy, found lots of pictures of those. But the 2nd one is a little tricky, I was told it had a door in the divider glass, but I can't find any pictures to figure out the puzzle. Might anyone have any leads?

IMG_20160930_154439084.jpg

IMG_20160930_154319675.jpg

IMG_20160930_154331832.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 11-12-2015 at 2:21 AM, tcslr said:

Bevans077,

Certainly the cap is correct.  The original distributor was 659B, dual point.  That housing, gear and advance arm are right, though.  I'll have to check, maybe it is right for the Series 65 engine.

That said, it sounds like this car was running prior to its current restoration - so it most likely works.

Mr Carbking gave good information.  I have a Carter BB1 on my car - that one might be easier to find.

I hope you get an opportunity to get the car complete and restored.

Tom

Instead of the dual point use a contactless device from powerspark , specially made for this distributor, functions very well! ( I know not original, but once installed and set it functions fantastic ) see picture.

I also use a Carter B&B  245 SD with adjustabel iddle and main jet, 

CAM00369.jpg

CAM00593.jpg

3 hours ago, chrysler75 said:

Instead of the dual point use a contactless device from powerspark , specially made for this distributor, functions very well! ( I know not original, but once installed and set it functions fantastic ) see picture.

I also use a Carter B&B  245 SD with adjustabel iddle and main jet, 

CAM00369.jpg

CAM00593.jpg

Quick question, what models delco remy And powerspark units are they ?