2016 Vineland Nj meet?

topblissgt

Well that's another thing we seem to disagree on. I think many folks would very much like to see your 61. Especially since it's such a low mileage original. So the show would be diminished by it's loss.

I feel the same way about my cars. They are all high award cars and seem to draw some amount of attention so the show is also altered for the worse by the loss of them. Oh well.........Bob

Actually, most people just walk past it.

Someone told me that I need to do repeat preservation at least every 10 years otherwise I lose my senior.  Perhaps I got some incorrect info. 

Not that I am aware of. After 10 years an owner can choose to turn in his awards and start over in class judging but I know of no requirement to show for Preservation to keep the Senior. I could be wrong. If I am I'm sure someone will tell me.

I am an idiot for jumping back in here but I can't help myself.  Bob I know a heck of a lot more about the deal in Allentown than you might think.  Don't be surprised if AACA is up there in the future.  AACA is a not like the BCA as we have 10 national meets in 2016 to Buick's one national meet.  Big difference in a lot of ways. Spend some time reading about what it takes to run a meet!  It is on this website in the policy and procedure manual.

In addition Bob, as I said before you have little understanding of exactly how AACA meets work.  In the case of the AGNM, the region does get to keep $10 of the $50 fee.  Raising our normal fees to $50 or $60 to provide free parking or any other single benefit for our membership would have this forum screaming about the price of our meets and the unfairness. You look at the issue from your point of view which is not shared by the majority of our members.  Why you would expect Joe Member to have to subsidize parking for  only a percentage of members.  Many members at national meets do in fact stay several days.  Some meets ARE free.  Hershey is FREE.  It depends...not fleecing and that characterization is blatantly wrong. Most meets do have security on Saturday as well.

Region meets do not have to follow ANY AACA guidelines.  They are free to be as creative as they wish.

You have in fact been generous and returned trophies which have been recycled and have saved the club money.  We thank you!

I will end my comments with the fact that this club is far more progressive than most.  Other clubs follow OUR lead.  DPC, HPOF, new awards, advances in our judging program, new classes, awards for touring to members, awards for webmasters, editors, the new Zenith Award, program for colleges, scholarship programs, a library that is free to anyone in the world (most are not), a magazine that has had a major change and continues to evolve, a new program for retired military people, Junior program, student program, our national awards program, this website and on and on.  Your characterization of a club that does not change could not be more false.

• Like 3

I'm also a Cadillac Lasalle Club member. When I heard at a board meeting what it costs to do our Grand National, I was shocked that the CLC only charges what it does for what we get. And that's WITH a pledge from Cadillac to cover the cost of the awards and welcome reception. The cost of the awards banquet and venue are staggering.

I can't imagine doing 8 meets a year.

The cost if showing my car at Hershey is an utter pittance for the value I get for the meet and flea market for an entire week. Yes, I know vendors have to pay for spaces but I'd be surprised if the club just broke even for putting on an event of that magnitude.

I've been to local shows that cost more for participants AND spectators pay an admission fee.

Edited by danleblanc (see edit history)

Steve! Welcome back. You are not an idiot at all but are doing what you should be doing, enlightening the membership and defending the club's positions.

I would be astounded if you didn't know far more about the BCA meet than most. I brought that meet  up only to illustrate a point. I also understand that there are 10 AACA meets a year. The work load being spread among 10 regions, though. I have read the manual and the details to be worked out are  impressive. I truly admire and thank the volunteers who give freely of their time. It could not happen without them. 

That said, I don't think asking Joe Member to pay a share of a necessary part of the show (trailer parking facilities) is any  less fair than asking Joe Member to pay another necessary part of the show (trophies). I'm guessing the largest faction of Joe members will not get the benefit of either. Joe Members largest benefit should be, and most likely is, the show itself. Upon reflection and in consideration of your point of view I could agree that multiple  over night trailer parking might warrant a fee. I will likely never feel that way about a day of show fee. At some point though I would be interested in an explanation of why parking  fees were not necessary until a few years ago when all of sudden they became "necessary"

You say regions do not have to follow ANY AACA guide lines. However It appears the $30 admission limit and prohibition on spectator fees is written in stone. I will concede headquarters knows far more about putting on a meet than I could hope to. I hope you will concede that hamstringing a region with a set and VERY modest limit for all area of the country can be seen as inflexible and  limiting. Pretty tough to be as "creative as they wish" on a such a tight allowance and the direct result is the need to squeeze (fleece?) funds from whoever, whatever, or wherever. Whether the majority agrees with me or not is of little concern. It is what it is.

I will also concede that the club is forward thinking in many areas but will have to remain convinced the club is also set in it's ways and obdurate in many others.

I do appreciate your and the clubs efforts. I also appreciate the opportunity to express my opinions freely. Perhaps I should check my warning points score now................Robert Beck

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

You say regions do not have to follow ANY AACA guide lines. However It appears the $30 admission limit and prohibition on spectator fees is written in stone. I will concede headquarters knows far more about putting on a meet than I could hope to. I hope you will concede that hamstringing a region with a set and VERY modest limit for all area of the country can be seen as inflexible and  limiting. Pretty tough to be as "creative as they wish" on a such a tight allowance and the direct result is the need to squeeze (fleece?) funds from whoever, whatever, or wherever. Whether the majority agrees with me or not is of little concern. It is what it is.

Bob, I said regions and chapters do not have to follow our rules for their own meets not nationals!  The national meets do have a lot of guidelines for them to follow.  We give advice to regions on how they can make money on a meet and most of the costs will need to be borne by sponsorships, program ads and grants.  The regions and chapters need to be creative and work hard in these areas.  You do have a right to your opinion but it is tunnel vision in my mind.  Auburn is the only meet put on by the national club management and there is no charge for trailer parking, RV parking, entrance to the auction and bidder's passes.  Hershey has no charge for trailer parking either.  There is free parking the day of the meet for the AGNM and the list goes on.  However, when the region is charged for the use of property to host trailer parking and they cannot absorb it then they usually have a fee.  You will never agree to this so as you say it is what it is. 

In this case your comment about your lack of concern about how the majority feels is my case in point.  WE, the national board and this office HAVE to be concerned about the majority.  Pure and simple we exist for the benefit of our members and we would be foolhardy not to listen and respect their feelings.  If this ever becomes an issue and causes us to review our policies further I am sure we will.  The national board meets several times a year, has conference calls and the like in order to make sure we are representing our membership properly.   

When I took this job I had a goal to please everyone, naïve to think that was humanly possible. If you spent a day in my office you will know that there are no shortage of opinions and some are so off the wall it begs the question whether they were sent in as a joke.  AACA takes what it does extremely seriously and is always in a constant mode of trying to do better.  If it wasn't, I would never have stayed here.

• Like 1

There are many many examples of group think being incorrect. Pleasing the majority does not necessarily equate to doing the right thing.  But at least we both agree that it is what it is and no one is going to get this Titanic to even consider altering course.............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...