2016 Vineland Nj meet?

topblissgt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have found that going to the Annual Meeting in Philidelphia will provide all the information on the up coming meets and tours. Most if not all the the meet and tour chair people will have a table in the trade show. It's a great way to meet the people that do the most for the AACA.

• Like 1

Excellent post..annual meeting is a great source of info.  Unfortunately, the club sends out tri-folds only after they are approved by the region and then we can go to print.  There can be a lot of reasons for delays.  At this time we only have the Florida Meet and Auburn in the office.  Charlotte will be printed next week. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is the awards ceremony after the banquet dinner or before? If so for those that do not wish to eat a meal but want to wait to receive their particular award what would be a good protocol for them to do in the interim?

According to the meet brochure the awards are after the banquet dinner.  At most meets with awards after the banquet quite a few people will dine elsewhere then wait in the hallway or line the banquet room walls until awards for their class are announced.  Up to you however the banquet dining is a great place to meet new people at your table.

If you absolutely must leave for home after the meet you can fill out the form authorizing a friend to pick up the award for you or pay to have it shipped from HQ.

Regards,

Peter J.

Edited by Peter J.Heizmann (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

I see they are whacking car owners $20 to park a trailer, even day of show parking. Too bad. I would have liked to attend. As long as everyone just rolls over they will continue to get fleeced. All it would take is one show to be passed up and that would be the end of the trailer fees............Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

Bob, I am sorry you feel this way. Unlike National Tours, the only sources of revenue from a National Meet are trailer parking fees,silent auction income and a small cut of National merchandise that is sold.The rental fees for the New Jersey Motorsports Park are very expensive.These are our only ways to generate income to hopefully break even on this event. 

Dave

• Like 1

I don't think that any club should lose money or even make a modest profit. However, if the meet needs to milk the members who tow their cars to just break even then I also think there is a basic problem with the way the finances are structured. If the meet must milk a certain segment of the membership then the cost structure needs to be re-thought. I do enjoy attending AACA meets but I also feel I bring to the meet as much, or more, than I receive.

I've been attending AACA national meets for about 16 years and charging for trailer parking has started fairly recently.If the fee wasn't needed in the past, why is it now? I get the distinct impression the various meet organizers have realized that the guys that tow could be used at as a profit center. I do resent that.

Personally I will not bring any of my cars to a show that charges me for trailer parking. If that means that I don't go to any AACA meets then I will have to rethink why even bother to be an AACA member

I'm fairly certain that if the members that towed voted with their feet and stayed away in droves the onerous trailer fee would go the way of so many orphan cars who could not, or would not, meet their customers expectations............Bob

I've been an organizer of different meets in the past - not AACA meets, but other clubs - and the work and expenses involved is usually quite high!  As with everything else over the years, the cost for everything has gone up!  Where ever you look in recent years, there are things we have to pay for now that we didn't have to pay for then.  The first thing that comes to mind is insurance costs - whether the club has to pay for it out of pocket or the venue has to pay for it, it has to be paid either way. 

If spending $20 to park your trailer for your show vehicle puts you over your budget to show your car, then maybe you need to either redo your own budget or sell your show car.  After the cost of buying the tow rig, the trailer, maintenance for both, gas money, insurance, then of course the expense of the show vehicle, $20 is a mere drop in the bucket!

I don't have to trailer either of my trucks.  I could easily use my HPOF Suburban to tow my highly modified pickup, but that takes the fun out of driving my pickup and I wouldn't want to burden my Suburban with all that work.  Then again, both are built to drive and aren't Senior or even Junior level cars in AACA.  Just my 2 cents of course.

"After the cost of buying the tow rig, the trailer, maintenance for both, gas money, insurance, then of course the expense of the show vehicle, $20 is a mere drop in the bucket!". 

I think the above touches on the mind set of the show organizers. It's the old "hey they can afford it" attitude.

As for increasing costs, that fix is easy. Spread the costs over the entire show field. Don't single out a special group to bear the burden. It's called fairness.

Now, just for the record vis-à-vis my budget. I could easily afford the $20, just as I can easily afford the care and feeding of my car collection. In fact at another show a member offered to pay my trailer parking and I refused both his offer and the show.  The point is that a group of AACA members is being discriminated against for the benefit of another group of members. It just plain is not right and I refuse to be part of it..........Robert R Beck

from my point of view I don't trailer and why should I be forced to cover the cost of something I don't use

That's a valid point unless it's applied it to the whole show. Carried to it's logical end: Why should HPOF and DPC pay for trophies since they don't get one. Same for the Do Not Judge guys. Using the above logic why should I have to pay full admission since the most I can get is a preservation chip.

Without the guys that trailer a show would be reduced to mostly local guys with drivers. Little more than a local cruise nite. In effect trailers are as necessary and are as much part and parcel of a SUCESSFUL AACA show as trophies are.

The point is, all the members and participants of a show are, or should be, in it together for the common good. I would no more charge extra for the guys looking for a trophy than I would less for guys who have no hope of one.

In my opinion charging extra for trailers is divisive, discriminatory, short sighted, and a failure of AACA management to address a shows financial footing in a responsible manner.........Robert R Beck

That's me Bob, a failure!  The fact is, whether you like it or agree with it, each national meet stands on its own except for Auburn which the club runs (since there is no fee for trailer parking or RV parking I expect you to be there!).  Each region has to find a way not to lose money.  They cannot charge over $30 as that is mandated by national. The $30 goes to national in part to defray trophy expense (it NEVER covers the cost of national awards).  The region gets none of the money.

Any characterizing of fleecing is ill conceived as in many cases the costs of the facilities for parking is a contract and expense to the region.  Sometimes not but at the same time the region may not have the ability to sell ads for a program, they have to pay for security for the area, find volunteers to man the area and pay for any damage to the grounds afterwards.

National loses money on most meets and does not feel at this time there is anything we can do about it without causing further expense to our members.  The regions are in the same boat.  There just are not many profit centers available to a meet.  BREAKING EVEN IS DIFFICULT!

Discrimnatory?!  You can take that to so many levels.  As state the DPC and HPOF guys may feel that they should pay less money based upon awards.  A person who only gets a second, third or preservation may feel he/she is being discriminated against.  Judges may feel discriminated since they have to pay a part of their breakfast and they are volunteers. The list goes on and on.  The fact is that it is what it is and there is no easy solution.  Don't tell me that raising the price to our members is a viable solution as it is not at this point.  Don't suggest that national subsidize meets any more than they are now as the is discriminatory to the vast number of members who never show. Until someone comes up with a magic solution that does not negatively affect others and since the charge is for rent of the property I see no way around this.  Auburn does not charge us for the use of the property, therefore we do not charge our members.   

Doubt you will agree with this but it is the way it is.  We have not had a debate in a long time and this may change it all! :) 

• Like 2

Excellent point Steve about us HPOF, DPC and Preservation participants.... I get a great little chip for bringing my truck out and I don't feel like I am missing out on one of the beautiful AACA trophies at all! In fact, when I got my board for my HPOF chips I was shocked at how nice it was and am thrilled that I have one place to mount my chips to.

As for judging... Not only do we pay for our own breakfast but we pay to travel to the show just like all participants do. There's no discounts for anything. However I'm happy to do it to help keep the AACA going strong.

" They cannot charge over $30 as that is mandated by national. The $30 goes to national in part to defray trophy expense (it NEVER covers the cost of national awards).  The region gets none of the money."

I never said you personally were a failure Steve. Nor do I hold that opinion. The failure reference was aimed at the collective management apparatus of the AACA club. Of course as the holder of high office, and assuming you hold meaningful sway over club policy and decisions, you must bear some of the  responsibility for any failures of policy.

Now if I understand correctly. the  AACA mandates that a local club cannot charge more than $30 per car entrance fee, which the AACA then lays claim to.

So basically the AACA has mandated that any local club putting on a show is left to grub money any way it can to hopefully break even. A club in  Southern Cal has to labor under the same $30 limit as lets say a club in the mid west? There is no mechanism to adjust the show fee and revenue schedule to the local cost structure.? In other words it's central planning just as in China or the old USSR.

If my understanding is correct that is just plain simplistic management of a complex task. I thought the local clubs were the culprit but it's you guys. My apologies to any local club I may have offended. 

I'm sorry Steve but my opinion of collective AACA show management  just took a turn for the worse..............Bob

I started to write a long reply on the complexities of a meet and the issues surrounding allowing meets to charge different registration prices and I realized it is futile.  We have had volumes of discussions over the years on these topics and management has listened to people experience in putting on meets and tours.  Decisions are not made in a vacuum.  You have your opinion and I have mine:

1.  If I bring a trailer and expect security 24/7 then I realize I should help with the expense.  If it is free I am grateful.

2.  If AACA allowed regions to charge whatever they wanted for registration fees I can only imagine how our members would feel and the problems it would cause

To put it simply, in the 13 years I have been here I can count on one hand the number of complaints I have heard over COST of trailer parking.  Most of what I hear is proximity to show field, hard surface, etc.

Putting on a meet and tour is complex.  We have a manual that guides our regions and chapters and they have to make do with what resources are available to them and take that in consideration before applying to host an event.  Another case we will have to agree to disagree.

1. Day of show trailer parking requires little in the way of 24/7 security and costs. I do understand the complexities/costs of multiple day parking.

2. If local regions, who know and understand the local contours of their membership far better than headquarters ever could, had the flexibility to tailor the cost structure and meet details to their local environment MY imagination says it would be for the better. Headquarters would still have the final approval but the flexibility of local input should only improve the show.

If the problems you fear means more work for headquarters, it likely would. But isn't that part of ensuring a living, breathing, vibrant and growing club?

As an aside, the Buick club (BCA) is holding it's annual meet in Allentown this summer. So far there are about 750 folks registered, going on 400 cars, with perhaps 1000 expected. This from a club 1/8 the size of the AACA. I plan to be there, Steve, for most of the three days and hope you can find the time to stop by and say hello and maybe chat a bit with Jeff B. who is the meet director. Oh yeah. Trailer parking is provided at no cost..........Bob

Assuming you are not mocking me Annie, that could never work. Even in the very very unlikely event I was put into office I would be seen as a disruptive force to be ignored or shunned. I do enjoy the hobby and feel that the AACA is a good thing but I fear it's inflexibility and "we've always done it this way" attitude will be an erosive element leading to it's long term loss of relevance or possibly even existence.

However, If you are mocking me I'm disappointed in your lack of thoughtful consideration.......Bob

If the club was interested in exploring options that might be true, Annie. Sadly they don't seem to be. So, my being "part of it" will be limited to paying my dues, voicing my thoughts publicly, and following my principles. I imagine my participation in AACA shows will continue to decrease but that's not a biggie. The trophies mean little to me and I routinely gift them back to the club to help their finances.

I'm pleased you were not mocking me............Bob

From my reading of the registration material it appears that to attend the BCA meet one would need to pay a $35 Member Registration Fee as well as $25 to register a vehicle for the show. Local tours, of which there are many, range from $40-$58. Parking is indeed "free". I believe there will be no judging at this show?

All true. I'm not sure what the registration includes in benefits and the show will not be judged. I do thank you for making my point. It looks like the show will be wildly successful doing exactly what the AACA says it cannot (will not) do. That is be flexible in costs, flexible in planning and execution, and offering an experience that is not a carbon copy of the last "experience".

Am I the only one that's noticed that the typical AACA regional event is like "ground hog day"? They are all exactly the same. Different venue same show over and over again.  I guess by being forced to follow the "book" that is to be expected. Central planned mediocrity...........Bob

So you are perfectly happy paying a $35 "Registration Fee" in addition to the $25 to register your car but not $20 for secure trailer parking?

I perfectly am because that is the cost for all involved. One group is not being singled out to be an extra source of revenue for the benefit of another group.

Like any other purchase I measured the cost to benefit . The Buick show looks to be worth the cost so I have paid my money and am looking forward to it.

I would have absolutely no problem paying a $50 entrance fee for an AACA meet if that's what it took to put on the meet and EVERYONE was treated as one and paid the same fee.

In fact I have registered for the GN in Williamsport @ $50. I realize that the $50 is needed to cover the high cost of the trophies but EVERYONE will be sharing in the costs to cover it (even though I will gift the trophy back should I be fortunate to be awarded one.)

Again. It is not the actual cost of the trailer issue it is the blatant unfairness of fleecing a certain segment of the participants that are a VITAL and INTEGRAL part of the show for the benefit of other participants...............Bob

I see no problem with the user-pay system for trailer parking.  When I go to a car show, I'd feel bad having everyone subsidize to pay to park my trailer without any benefit to them.  Conversely, I'd hate to pay for something I never use so I would have have a great issue if my hometown raised taxes to provide free parking spaces to everyone in the city who uses parking garages so they wouldn't have to pay any more.  Something I never, ever use as I have free parking at my office.  Why would I pay for parking garages I don't need.  When I do need one, I'll gladly pay my $1.50/hour for the 2-3 hours a year I need it, which is almost never, than pay an extra $100/year on my property tax bill.

Same principle applies here.

If it's that big of an issue, park at a supermarket or WalMart for free and drive to the show.  Or, I'll send you the $20 just to kill this discussion.

Edited by danleblanc (see edit history)

"When I go to a car show, I'd feel bad having everyone subsidize to pay to park my trailer without any benefit to them."

But by bringing your car/trailer to the show your are benefiting "them". You are contributing to the over all quality of the show and hopefully paying for their trophy. Trailering you car there probably means you are traveling a distance and the show would not have your support if you did not trailer it. Trailer or not trailer EVERYONE is a contributor to the common cause and also should bear the common cost.

It's a bit surprising you would advocate what amounts to theft of services by using a local business as a personal parking lot.......................Bob

The show would be just as good without my car.  I've already got my senior on the car, and the show is some 10 hours drive from me, so I could either drive or trailer.

No, I don't steal parking spots.  When I have to pay to park, I do.  My office has its own parking lot for staff.  What I said about parking at a Walmart or supermarket would be assuming you had permission from the store manager to do so.

When I boondock with my camper in a Walmart, I always go in, check with the manager on duty to see if it's ok to park and if there's a designated RV area.  I don't just park and go.

Edited by danleblanc (see edit history)

Since your car is a senior it is no doubt a fine example and the show is no doubt the better for it and would be for the worse without it.

Since it is a senior you have no chance of a trophy so you are, in effect "paying for something you can't use". Someone else's trophy.

Wouldn't it make so much more sense to just charge whatever the meet cost divided equally among all the participants? We are in it all together for the common good aren't we?...........Bob

Yes, it's an ok car.  Unrestored 61 Fleetwood.  Had a few touch ups in the 1970's, but highly original with 23,000mi.  And yes, I could take something away from the meet.  Need to do my repeat preservation every so often to keep my senior award valid.  I really don't think having it or not having it there would alter the show in any way, shape or form.

Well that's another thing we seem to disagree on. I think many folks would very much like to see your 61. Especially since it's such a low mileage original. So the show would be diminished by it's loss.

I feel the same way about my cars. They are all high award cars and seem to draw some amount of attention so the show is also altered for the worse by the loss of them. Oh well.........Bob

• Like 1