1937 Century 4-dr.--for sale or what to do?

Pete Phillips

A restoration customer of mine bought this 1937 McLaughlin-Buick Century 4-dr. in Canada two months ago, had the brake system completely overhauled with new parts, had it shipped to my garage, and told me to get it ready for sand-blasting and repainting, plus a new interior. So, I took it apart, removed the dashboard, headliner and interior, removed all of the glass, removed rear fenders and running boards, and now he changes his mind! AUGHH!!! (dirty swear words, etc.).

It was a running, driving car two days ago. We found a few small rust holes between running board aprons and bottom of the body, and now he wants to sell it. I think it needs about $1000 to $1500 worth of rust repair and then the body will be fine. Is anyone interested in a very solid 1937 model 61? Floors are good, engine runs well, has all new brake drums, rebuilt master cylinder, new brake hoses, new wheel cylinders, cleaned and lined gas tank. Nearly $5000 was spent on the brake system last month (yes, he got taken advantage of by a Canadian restoration shop on the brakes). The only missing parts are the horizontal stainless moldings on the headlight buckets. Shows 95,000 miles which I think is correct. Needs the original upholstery replaced, needs chrome plating, needs new wood-graining of the dash and garnish moldings, would need paint and tires to be nice. I have a complete new exhaust system for it, not installed yet. I think $5000 would be a fair price, but I will have to run it by him first. Or, I can finish the restoration if anyone is interested in that. Am looking to sell it all as a parts car or restoration project; not interested in parting it out at this time. And yes, I know that the worst thing you can do to a car you want to sell is to take it apart and then try to market it--not my fault! Have more photos, or I am open to suggestions as to what to do with it.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

post-77451-0-64729800-1444752505_thumb.j

post-77451-0-55886900-1444752522_thumb.j

post-77451-0-83110000-1444752538_thumb.j

post-77451-0-32381100-1444752596_thumb.j

post-77451-0-71384900-1444752616_thumb.j

Personally I think the customer owes you for your labor up to this point and then it should be his decision and problem as to what to do with it. If he can't pay you then you should get the title and after that you can sell it, restore it, part it out, or do whatever to try to recoup your costs. It looks to me like it's taking up space and is a problem you wish you didn't have. I feel sorry for both of you and even for the car.

• Like 1

Hi Pete,

I hope you got a deposit.

If the deposit covers your costs and shipping it back to him, throw the parts in the car and ship it back.

I would not try to sell it for him.  That's not what you contracted for and it could tkae forever and will not end well.

I am not an expert on 4 door '37 Buicks, but in the state it is in now, I think it would be hard for him to get $1000.

Good luck,

Dwight