shock absorbers for 1955 buick roadmaster

Guest j.w.

good evening folks

I need help

my 1955 roadmaster needs shock absorbers

I  understand  shock absorbers are in the front and lever knee action is in the back

when checking the shop manual-apparently there are  shocks in back and front

I am a mechanical idiot so can someone suggest the brand/model/type to buy at napa

so I can have my mechanic install ??

are 4 shocks needed ??

thank you

If your Roadmaster still has the original front hardware, you can get front shocks locally.  See my website (http://www.buickrestorer.com )under low tech tips.

The rear shocks should first be refilled and if functional but leaking at the shaft, that fix is also detailed on the website.  If not functioning after refilling then they will need to be sent off for rebuild.

Guest gmeyer316

My rear shocks didn't work either, I filled them with hydraulic jack oil and have been working great since. Make sure you clean the area around the fill plug real good first.

On those level rear shocks, I like to disconnect the link and use an oil squirt pistol to put hydraulic jack oil in as I work the level by hand. You can feel the air working out and the action get firm.

If they leak a little you can wrap a cotton string around the shaft where it exists the body. Sometimes that will swell enough for a small drip.

Bernie

thanks for all the info

I will print out these responses-am having an oil change in nov so will show the mechanic as to the  best option to go to