63-65: Any trick to removing interior A-pillar trim molding?

rivolution

Hi gang,

I've got a couple of interior pillar trim moldings (the ones on either side of the windshield) that have better chrome than the ones in my car.

last weekend I thought, "I'll finally switch those out for the nicer ones".

I was wrong.

all the headliner trim elements come off easily, but not these A-pillar pieces.  I've pulled hard every way I can, but there's no good way to get a grip on them or pry them -- the rearward edge is free, but the front (contacting the inside of the windshield) goes NOWHERE.  I think they are stuck on from 60-year old sealer-putty-stuff.

is there a trick to getting these things off?

thanks for any advice,

Jeff

You have to pull the window seal from its molding, look for some screws that hold that molding to the body - they're probably buried under some caulking, remove enough of the screws to pull the seal molding from the roof.  Then you can access some screws that attach the exterior A pillar molding to the body.  Fun and games, huh?

Ed, it sounds like you are talking about the exterior A pillar moldings. The poster is inquiring about removing the interior

pillar moldings. Jeff, it sounds to me like your windshield was replaced at some point and the windshield was installed with urethane

caulk from a caulking gun rather than the original sealing ribbon, and that the urethane got on the front of the pillar moldings, in effect

gluing them to the pillar. You are going to have to get rough with them to break them free. You might try taking a razor blade and sliding it down the crack between the molding and the windshield and cutting the urethane. Also if the back is loose, just keep rocking the moldings back and forth for a while while you pull back on them.....good luck.

Of the 3 parts cars that I have dismantled over the years, none of these have ever come off without a fight. Just keep working them as best you can and be careful not to bend them. If possible, see if you can get some tough fishing line behind it at the top. Keep sliding it back and forth as you work your way to the bottom. Good luck!

R E S O L V E D !

====================

I finally managed to remove these trim pieces!   Here's how I did it, in case it's useful to others:

I tried the fishing line trick you suggested, Pat -- but it was tricky to route it through in a way that gave good leverage to cut thru the goo.  When I finally had it in a good place, it broke while I pulled on it.  Then I tried a thin steel guitar string, which did better, but I still was making very little progress cutting thru.

Finally, I cut a short section of pipe strap, and used a vice to bend about 1/4" on one end into an "L".  With this, I could reach around through the inside of the windshield and press and slide along the groove of the trim, cutting into the old goo a little at a time as well as applying some prying force.  (cutting the metal strap through a hole gave it some "teeth" that was even more effective for digging in).

I also slid a screwdriver through the top gap of the trim to gently pry away the top front corner of the trim, which further helped me work the "cutter" a little deeper.

here are a few photos.  Once I had this technique, Each trim piece came off in about 5-10 minutes.  Here are some photos.

IMG 0308

IMG 0310

IMG 0315

thanks again for all your help,

jeff