The good, the bad and the ugly

GaryP65

Finally some good news!

It was a litle cold last night so I thought I'd put up a little heat in the garage with the doors closed. After a little tinkering and some luck I got her started!! It wasn't even trying to get it started, just testing.

So before I passed out from the fumes in a closed garaged, I shut it off, open the doors and let it clear out. All excited, I hopped back in the seat and try to start it again. NOTHING. Now it will not even turn over.

My first thought is the starter/generator but unsure.

Any thoughts/remedies?

put a test light on the wire on the S/G unit and it should light with 12 volts when you hit the starter button. If not, It is probly the start switch contacts or battery cable. What year is it? It is probly 12 volt Pos.. Ground. Either polarity will work but Ampmeter will read backwards..

• Like 1

Because I'm electrically retarded, do you mean ground the light to the frame and tough the light to the post terminal on the unit that connects to the starter switch?

I will tell you this, sometimes, before I got it to start, the motor (or maybe the unit, unsure) would make a chugging sound with very little movement of the rotation of the motor.

Guest Bob Call

I'm not very knowledgeable about early Dodge Brothers, Chrysler, Graham, Maxwell and Plymouth.  I do know that some cars in the teens and 20's had a 12 volt electrical system. Is the 1925 Dodge a 6V or 12V system?

I'm thinking it's a 6V system and when you started it with a 12V battery you damaged something in the starter or ignition circuit. That's why it's a good ideal to get a shop manual for your car.  That old of car there probably no factory manuals. So, look for a used manual like a Dyke's Auto Repair 14th edition. I'm not sure how far back Chilton's repair manuals go but they are pretty good.

Maybe someone with a 25 Dodge will confirm the correct voltage for your car.

Guest Bob Call

Disregard my post above. I just looked at a thread about a 25 Dodge starter/generator problem and it clearly shows it is a 12V system.

I would open up the starter foot switch and take a look at the condition of the contacts first.  If you suspect the contacts you can try starting it with a pair of jumper cables.  If positive ground connect generator output directly to negative terminal on battery and the connect positive terminal to ground.  If starter operates then you know the problem is 'upstream' (Cable condition, connections, starter switch).  If it won't crank with jumpers then problem is in starter - check brushes, brush springs.  I don't know why my text has a line through it....

• Like 1

Double check the ground wire first to make SURE it's actually making a good ground.

The next move is step on the starter button for maybe 10 seconds and CAREFULLY feel around every electrical connection for hot spots.

CAREFULLY........12V will create a lot of heat real fast........  :wacko:

Took the ring cover off and found a spring that looks like what I have been told are the elusive brushes. I think, but you fine folks can confirm. One of the springs that holds them in place is apparently broken. Is this why it won't turn over of is this only one problem in a series.post-148311-0-57757000-1444616833_thumb.

Yup, those are the critters.  The spring looks a bit mis-shapen but not necessarily broken.  My guess is that whomever replaced them had some difficulty getting the spring to fit properly over the stepped spacer (on right side of spring in photo).  You can pull back on the little tab that extends past the brush and feel the spring force.  Compare this one to the other starter brush.  If it feels noticeably weaker then the spring is a problem.  Those springs look to clean to be very old (mine were quite rusty)...