Too Early?

Guest hankakston

Guest hankakston

I bought my 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback in 1992. Paid cash. Now, it's coming on 25 years. It has 86,592 actual miles. I wonder when it will be considered an antique. So that I can invest in proper insurance. As it is, it sits just waiting to be stolen. When it's legally an antique here in Indiana I will get it restored to simple factory. Nothing special. Just needs new paint (a bit of rust, not more than a quarter square inch behind the back wheels.) As you might notice, I'm no expert at cars. I just want it insured for more than the Blue Book price. Already there are some who my wife has had to chase away. They say, for example, "We've seen the car sitting here. Figured it's for sale." So, I'd spend two weeks standing guard at night, watching for someone to sneak up. My phone with 911 in one hand, a weapon in the other. So far, so good. I drove it to CA in '92. And then back to Indiana. Twice to Philly and back. Three times to Wichita and back. Otherwise it's our "backup car". Never in a garage, so the hood and top are pretty much whited out. Mechanically never fails. But insurance won't cover what it's worth at all. Not talking about what it's worth to me sentimentally - my wife or I take it for gas and invariably get offers. But I won't sell. Just want to restore it and keep it. 

As I say, just getting ready for when it turns 25. Then I'll look into the Indiana plate for "Antique" whatever. I'm pretty ignorant about all this. When the time comes, all I want to do is have it restored to the original factory finish outside. And all the rest of it as to rubber molding etc. around the windows etc.

Glad for any information I need as the time gets closer. I wonder: I bought it in June '92. But don't they come out with the new models in September the year before? When will this Honda actually be eligible for antique status as to insurance and government plates? 

• 3 weeks later...

Just found this one while looking at some of the less used topics.  We have plenty of older Japanese cars in regular use in NZ but there is an increasing interest in them as collector cars although many are modified by the younger generation.  My own interest is in the bigger Toyotas but there is a site worth checking out which has the broad spectrum of older Japanese cars and is worth a look through  -  http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/

Reading the articles on the 2015 Japanese Car Show it seems there is an increase in interest in stock not-so-old cars.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

Seriously. You stand guard over it at night, with a cell phone in one hand and a weapon in the other?

I think the least of your worries is the value of your car, but more so the neighborhood.

If you want to save the car, get it into inside storage. Yes, in most cases 25 years old you can get inexpensive antique car insurance, but you're limited in how much you can drive, and your posting would end up being evidence in court if you insure and it's subsequently stolen.

They only become 'valuable' when almost all of them have gone and then somebody realises it and decides that they need to have one.  Something which is in as-new, almost-never-driven, condition is always going to be more valuable nowadays than a rebuild, which is going to cost more than the car is worth anyway - unless it is a top of the market exotic, but that is a whole different world to regular daily-driver type cars.

By the way I wonder what these 'actual' miles are.  Maybe something like 'original' miles?  Miles are miles whatever adjective is used to describe them.