1963 Riviera- Whats going on here?

Guest Dantana

Guest Dantana

I made interesting discovery, I ran the the numbers on the block and its a KW code 425 (KW159 you cant see the K in the pic but its there) from a 64' it looks like and the car was originally cloud silver with red leather, although white now . I'm happy about the 425 but would like to know if this is a motor swap or just a late model 63'. The speedo says 140 and it has the ribbed aluminum dash. The weird thing is that my shifter goes...P D L R - There is no longer a neutral in the mix, trust me I have checked. The shifter is stock and still says P N D L R. I've heard it said that it means someone rebuilt the tranny and possibly adjusted it wrong. Any thoughts on the ?

post-114012-0-09996300-1443989857_thumb.

post-114012-0-75808500-1443990364_thumb.

post-114012-0-03407000-1443990590_thumb.

The body was built in the 4th week of Feb. 1963.  It is not a late-63.   #22,000 out of 40,000 made.  Someone swapped a '64 engine into your '63.

There is a transmission shifter adjustment procedure in the shop manual.  You could run through that and see what it looks like.

Tom Mooney and I had some discussion years ago over this type of issue-that is, an earlier ('63) car that originally had a Dynaflow trans where a later replacement nailhead was installed that was setup for a turbo400 as you have...and the reverse-where I parted a '66 Electra to find a '62 vintage 401-differences=starters/flexplate mod/crank adapter. I think Tom had a similar deal like that. I can't remember detailsanymore, but hopefully Tom does and chimes in.

Guest Dantana

Thanks for the response guys. The dash has the ribbed aluminum along with the speedo at 140mph so maybe someone took the dash from a later 63? Over the last 52 years anything could have happened I guess. Ill check the shift adjustment in  the chassis manual.

My car's FB number is 18733 and it has all of the mid year production changes on it except for the spare tire mounting.  Mine is still on the trunk floor.  With an FB number of 22,000, you're way into all of the mid year production changes.  If your spare tire is mounted up under the package shelf, your car has probably seen every change that was made for the '63 model year.  Most changes occurred right before the beginning of the new calendar year, which is already about four months into the production year.  Jim is trying to narrow this down by collecting data for his registry so every little bit of info is helpful to him.

Ed

Guest Dantana

Easy to check that one.  There's an engine serial number on the machined service - see link below for location - that should match the VIN on the cowl (and your title- hopefully :) )

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/ident_engine_where.php

No need to read any text, just look at the picture at the top of the page for "all nailheads '57 - '66"

That was easy...they do not match. Oh well, at least its a 425. :)

My car's FB number is 18733 and it has all of the mid year production changes on it except for the spare tire mounting.  Mine is still on the trunk floor.  With an FB number of 22,000, you're way into all of the mid year production changes.  If your spare tire is mounted up under the package shelf, your car has probably seen every change that was made for the '63 model year.  Most changes occurred right before the beginning of the new calendar year, which is already about four months into the production year.  Jim is trying to narrow this down by collecting data for his registry so every little bit of info is helpful to him.

Ed

The bezel for the light inside the glove compartment should be a round metal ring.

The firewall should be satin black.

The 4th week of Feb. is early for a spare tire up on the shelf, not bolted to the floor on the right.  Look for remains of the bolt-down loop on the floor on the right.