54 Dynaflow with broken sun gear yoke

Guest surferstick

Guest surferstick

Hi folks. 

I have the engine out of my 54 and was replacing the transmission front seal.  In the course of dis assembly I found my sun gear yoke in the 'torque converter' is cracked in two.

It lives behind the sun gear and basically joins the sun gear to the carrier inside the stator.  Its very much enclosed, so even though this was broken, it was held in place perfectly and appears that it was still working fine.  Its only cast metal - no wonder it broke, but that also tells me Buick wasn't expecting much stress on this part.

Given that there are currently none on ebay or any parts suppliers that I can see right now, should I just re-assemble and forget?  I also see this is a one year only part :-(.  I am not going be driving more than 5000 miles in my future - this is a Sunday driver and a car show queen.  (or will be in a few years anyhow ;-)

I've attached 2 photos - The side profile one tell me that it appears its been broken a really long time, otherwise that would all be shiny metal right? The little bit that shines in the break would be the impact marks when the yoke is in use. The tranny worked fine for the previous owner, and my issues with the tranny were due to the mounts being bad. So this broken part was not related to any known issue when it was last running.

I am in a rush to finish up now that I am tying up a friend's garage.  Suggestions anyone?

'

post-94883-0-25836800-1443800620_thumb.jpost-94883-0-84406100-1443800639_thumb.j

I am in a rush to finish up

There's never enough time to do it right but always enough time to do it over.

There was enough stress on the part to break the casting. For all you know it broke 10 miles before you took it apart and will fail with collateral damage in the next 10 miles. Replace it..................Bob

Guest surferstick

I feel the same way Willie - I was just hoping someone would say "they all break, but it makes no difference - keep on assembling." 

The 53 part is too tall, so will keep looking for a 54 part.  I'm almost tempted to find a good machine shop and get them to water jet me one, but that would likely cost way too much $$.

I feel the same way Willie - I was just hoping someone would say "they all break, but it makes no difference - keep on assembling." 

The 53 part is too tall, so will keep looking for a 54 part.  I'm almost tempted to find a good machine shop and get them to water jet me one, but that would likely cost way too much $$.

I was thinking the same.  Water jet!!    

If you cannot find a part, do check with machine shops in your area or the closest large city.  Water Jet, EDM, Laser or just plain old fashoned machining can make one for what I would consider a reasonable price.  I would expect less than $250.00 for the part.  That is fairly high per pound. but reasonable if you get the trans fixed right and do not have to fix it again :) .

R

Guest surferstick

So confused.. Anyone taken apart a 53 and/or a 54 converter?  

I have searched high and low and so far I can't find a buick part number for the yoke I need - or for that matter, the sun gear either.

But I have found two different part numbers - both calling themselves sun gear kit, and both stating they are for the 53, but they look completely different.

I would guess that someone put one is a wrong box, but there is more than one, so I'm confused.

Have a look:

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/179838-nos-1953-dynaflow-parts

http://bobsautomobilia.com/shop/transmission/1953-dyna-flow-converter-sun-gear-.-df-1391845.html

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1953-Buick-Dynaflow-Converter-Sun-Gear-Kit-NOS-In-Original-Box-/181896113643?hash=item2a59da6deb&vxp=mtr

http://www.classicnosparts.com/products-page/1950s-parts/1953-buick-dyna-flow-transmission-converter-sun-gear-nos/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-GM-1318743-Dynaflow-Converter-Sun-Gear-1953-Buick-/262022228112?fits=Make%3ABuick&hash=item3d01bde890&vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=SyX7JQ%252BXJ7xXt3LQRJv%252FshcAT2Y%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I know some kits include the planet gears, but look at the sun gear and yoke... completely different.   And two of them look like my 54 - but again with conflicting part numbers...

Help.  Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Guest surferstick

Hi Folks.  Quick update, I hopefully have a NOS part on it's way.  I will update the thread when I get it and confirm its correct.  This was a crazy journey for a simple part. 

Many thanks for all the help.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest surferstick

So the long awaited update.  I found (with the help of some friends, thanks dudes) a "1953" sun gear kit, which contained the yoke I needed for the 54.  While I have read many places it is a one year only part, and yeah, the kit could have been mis-boxed, the sun gear was not a perfect fit for my car either, having the pitch of the gear on the sun gear at a different angle.  But, that didn't matter, as all I need was the wonderful yoke, and it fit perfectly.

Sweet.  Thanks for the thoughts and info everyone, seems to have worked, and "Cali" is under her own power again.