Storage of extra gearboxes, rear ends and engines,

30dodge35

Now that I have finished the reassembly of the 1930 DA, I figured I needed to sort thru the extra pieces and decide what to keep and store for later use and what to get rid of,

I decided to open rear end up to see it's condition, Well what a surprise, it has only been sitting for a year with out rotating. The gears on top side, out of oil were starting to show signs of rusting,

Pulled head on the engine , found minor signs of rust and corrosion.

The transmission shows the same results, These parts were stored under cover away from weather.

I have decided to overfill all gearboxes with used oil from my diesel truck, since I have plenty at 12 quarts per change.

I have these big plastic bags to contain leakage,

I will try to remember to rotate boxes and engine every 6 months or 12 months.

I run and drive my restored vehicles 2 times a week,

Any comments on what other owners are doing

• 2 weeks later...

You have already done a much better job of storing your "spare gears" than I have!

Might I suggest finding a lubricant that is designed to coat and protect metals from rust over long periods of time and use that as a storage oil for your gears? It will probably have a waxy sort of feel once applied.

post-109645-0-04119300-1443931060_thumb.

post-109645-0-28729900-1443931093_thumb.

You have already done a much better job of storing your "spare gears" than I have!

Might I suggest finding a lubricant that is designed to coat and protect metals from rust over long periods of time and use that as a storage oil for your gears? It will probably have a waxy sort of feel once applied.

I believe the product you are referring to is Cosmoline. Comes in a spray or in a gallon can.

Best thing to do it get the dirty oil out (it will contain condensation, acids and oxidants) and put some clean oil in.

An aviation museum in Christchurch used to use Shell Ensis in its engines to preserve them.

Lanolin spray is effective too, indoors.

I like a product made here in Tauranga by Altex Coatings, called RIPO (rust inhibiting penetrating oil). It eventually dries and leaves a protective coating. Good indoors but perhaps better for the case or box outsides etc..