1937-1938 Buick Registry

Guest binghaje

Guest binghaje

I am starting a 37-38 Buick Registry on the 1937 and 1938 Buicks Yahoo group.  I am attempting to re-create some of the great work other members such as Dave Corbin, Terry Dunham & Sean Smith have compiled.  Goal is to help other enthusiasts determine the build date of their cars.  I am tracking the following details, and with enough data points I can also help determine a car's originality with a high level of confidence (body, frame & motor married together at the factory):

Year

Model

Frame #

Engine serial #

Engine date code

Body #

Paint

Trim

Build Date

I would like to extend the invitation to AACA members.  If you are interested in providing this info on your car, please reply to this thread or send to me a PM.

I am attaching a file of the info I have gathered so far (I started the registry last week).  Please see 3 different tabs in the spreadsheet.

Jeff

Guest binghaje

37 Century:

Model: 1937-61

Body: 17991

Trim: 308 = Grey Bedford Cord

Paint: 501 = Chancellor Blue

Engine: 3235038

Frame: 3205300 = Frame # is assigned to the Linden plant for June 1937

Guest binghaje

dibarlaw:

Model 1937-41

Frame 3104501:  Frame # is assigned to Flint for May 1937
Engine 4 3277328:  nicely lines up with frame #
Body 28832
Paint 510 = Hampton Gray Poly (metallic)
Trim 300 = Tan Bedford Cord
Style 37-4419 

Guest binghaje

If at any time, a member wants to see the registry file I am building, they are welcome to send to me a PM with their private email address.  Then I will send to you the file in excel format.

Guest binghaje

Larry,

You are correct.  Your car was built in March 1937.  I actually recorded it in my excel file as March, but typed May in this thread.  Sorry about that.

Jeff

Guest binghaje

37 Century:

I did not comment about your engine because I was not confident.  But I should have told you what I did know.  Yes, I know it has a "6" prefix for Century.

Your engine is an original 1937 Buick 320 for sure.  1937 Century engine serial #s ranged from 6-3176225 to 6-3388399.

The serial # however did not look like it lined up perfectly with the frame # based on data I had on other Century's near yours in production.  I do have limited 320 data, and I know Buick did not always pull motors off the shelf first in first out.

Following data I have in the registry file I am building:

Year   Model #   Frame #        Engine Serial #   Build Date   Plant

1937   60C           3132572     63284620             Apr-37       Flint

1937   61             3140063      63287180             May-37     Flint

1937   61             3175466      63323318            Jun-37       Flint

1937   66C          3176422       63347306            Jun-37       Flint

1937   61             3205300       63235038           Jun-37       Linden            

1938   66S           3228298       63399477           Sep-37       Flint

Your # looks out of order.  I would have expected yours to start with "633".  But your car is the only one from Linden, so I cannot say one way or the other the engine was born in your car with the limited data I have.

Do you know anything about the history of your car?

Getting the date code from your 320 block would also be helpful.  If it is before your frame build date, but not too long before, we can say with more confidence, yes, it was born in the car.

The date code can be found on RH side near the starter on the 320.

Jeff

Edited by MCHinson
formatting text (see edit history)

Guest binghaje

Dave,

The engine unit serial # is located on the passenger side just beneath the push-rod cover and above the starter solenoid.  Attached photo is an example from my car.

Jeff

post-109665-0-84151700-1443833445_thumb.

Guest binghaje

1297591-2 is the casting number.  "12  14" is the date code, referring to December 14, approx 6 mos prior to your car's build date.  That date makes sense because the serial number indicated an older engine.  I agree the motor is probably not original to the car, and that was also your understanding.  Thanks for providing this info.  It is nice to know the data I am gathering has some merit.

Guest binghaje

Hi Dave.  That is not a correct engine serial #.  I know you mentioned in another post your car is an original paint, low miles survivor.  Being an original car, the serial # should be 8 digits long and start with "435".  Sounds like you were having a little trouble seeing it.  The picture I posted above was from my car using my cell phone.  Maybe you would have better luck getting a photo of it?  It should be easy to find without any obstacles if you are looking in the right location.

Guest binghaje

Dave,

I just noticed something.  You said you got the # using a mirror.  So I think the # is backwards.  But you are still missing a digit.  If backwards, then it would start with "435" like I said...4350611x.  Am I right?  Please double-check when you get a chance.

Jeff

Guest binghaje

Dave,

Yes, 43550611 lines up perfectly with your frame #.  It makes sense the missing digit was the second "5".  In fact, I had already entered 43550611 into the registry file last night pending your confirmation.  We can say confidently the engine was born in the car in 1938.

Jeff

• 1 month later...
Guest binghaje

Hello 70sWagoneers.  Thanks for sending the info and a photo of your firewall tag.

Your car was built in Flint in May 1937, most likely during the last week.  The engine serial # lines up very nicely with the frame #.  I would say confidently the motor was born in this car.  You might already know the following tag info:

Paint 501 is "Chancellor Blue"

Trim 300 is "Tan Bedford Cord"

Regarding the Head, I agree, sounds like a replacement with the different color paint.  First of all it should be a 3-stud valve cover if original.  2-stud valve covers came out late in the 1938 model year.

Under the valve cover you will find a casting # and a date code.  That information would help in identifying the head.