Project '55-63 Driver

Mudbone

1 hour ago, Mudbone said:

The original radio does not work. Mr. Butt hung a late model am/fm under the dash. It works fine. The condenser on the ignition coil is supposed to suppress any static from the wires. But the guy next to you at a stop light may be a little upset!

We never noticed much static in the past from out car or others...maybe because we listened to local stations with a strong signal.  But televisions that had poor antennas, picked up ignition 'noise' and you could tell who was driving up by the pattern on the screen.

• Like 2

I pulled the master cylinder off because it was leaking. I found many layers of rust inside the reservoir. After sandblasting and digging it out I decided to soak it in rust remover. It came out nice and clean. I honed it out, but it needs a sleeve. I am sending it out tomorrow. Now I need to look at all the wheel cylinders. Brakes are no place to cut corners!

P3150009.JPG

P3150012.JPG

P3150015.JPG

• Like 1

I started checking wheel cylinders and the front end this morning. All wheel cylinders look new. I pulled the right front steering knuckle and king pin out. I have never seen this much crud build up. The original owner must have greased it regularly and lived on a gravel road. Most of it I had to chisel off with a screwdriver and hammer. The funny thing is the amount on the steering arm. I can't believe it could hang on that long!

20170318_121311.jpg

20170.jpg

• Like 6

On 3/18/2017 at 9:13 PM, Mudbone said:

The original owner must have greased it regularly and lived on a gravel road. Most of it I had to chisel off with a screwdriver and hamme

Anything less than a 2 gallon bucketful means it wasn't greased enough or it sat in a museum for 40 years. :D 

• Like 3

I am planning on driving to the Nationals this summer with One Bid. Is there any category that this car would fit into? It has had a full repaint and new carpet for sure. Is there a stock driven class? I did not see anything on the list.

Judged.PNG

8 minutes ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Mud, unless it has been done away with, there is a "Driven" class. Not judged.  Just observed for mostly original  [  not modified  ].  That is what my '50 goes in.

Ben

Yes there is, Thanks

The rubber seals on mine were tough to install also, but after a few years exposed to grease they turned to mush :(.

You can use the level app on a smart phone to set the camber to zero in the middle of the eccentric range and that will be real close (if you have power steering and radial tires set it to maximum positive caster while maintaining zero camber).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, old-tank said:

The rubber seals on mine were tough to install also, but after a few years exposed to grease they turned to mush :(.

You can use the level app on a smart phone to set the camber to zero in the middle of the eccentric range and that will be real close (if you have power steering and radial tires set it to maximum positive caster while maintaining zero camber).

OK, Willie, for those of us who own a phone SMARTER than we are, care to elaborate?

Ben

3 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

What app is partial alignment machine?

It is part of the compass app on an iphone and can be downloaded and installed on others.  Put a jack stand as far out as possible under the lower control arm and put the phone on a flat spot on the brake drum.  It is alway best to check and record what the original setting was.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, old-tank said:

It is part of the compass app on an iphone and can be downloaded and installed on others.  Put a jack stand as far out as possible under the lower control arm and put the phone on a flat spot on the brake drum.  It is alway best to check and record what the original setting was.

Interesting!  Now, if we can find a app for setting the toe we are in the money! 

5 minutes ago, old-tank said:

Oh No! It looks like I need to make another video!

• Like 6

Mud, I'm really glad you're doing this. A few months back I had asked Willie about a front end alignment but I just never had gotten around to doing it. Seeing the video has made me understand just exactly what is going on. Always enjoy your videos!

• Like 4

I'm not married, but I can say my girlfriend knows now to stay away from the house when she sees a drum or two off the car. I don't think she liked helping me bleed them one night after midnight in the cold rain; her laptop died.