Export Model Question

rick60

Packards built for export could have been built in either Detroit, or Ontario Canada. The Canadian plant, closed in 1939 when England declared war, primarily but not exclusively built right-hand-drive cars for export to the Commonwealth countries. Those Canadian-built cars had favorable import takes into Commonwealth countries because of the high Canadian content. I do have an article from a 1937 issue of The Canadian Auto Trader which details the Canadian-sourced components. Easy to identify the Canadian-built Packards,the patent plate (vehicle number plate) identifies Packard Canada as the maker. If your car was sold new in Australia it was probably sold by Kellow-Faulkiner, Packard's agent there. Some of their facilities still exist, you can find some pictures of one of them on The Packard Club forum in the Dealerships discussion group.

Edited by Owen_Dyneto (see edit history)

Interesting question.

My 2 1920's RHD Packards were both sold new here in Australia and the body plates both state that they were made by Packard USA in Detroit Michigan.  

Kellow  Falkiner  was the Melbourne distributor for Packards and they were also prominent in supply of bodies for many different model cars.

The Sydney distributor for Packards was Ira Berk    http://www.packardaustralia.com/berk.htm

None of the 1920's Packards that I have seen or owned here in Australia had any indication that they were made in Canada, I had always assumed they were manufactured in The Packard US plant, I  can't speak for the later models

I should have also pointed out that Packard Detroit continued to build right hand drive models during the years the Canadian plant was open, generally these were for non_Commonwealth countries like Sweden, Japan and others. Also the Canadian plant built many left hand drive cars, generally but but exclusively junior models. A Canadian built LHD 36 120 may be uncommon but not rare.

I wonder where they made my RHD 1940 Packard Convertible.

Since the Packard/Canada plant closed during the 1939 production run due to the outbreak of war in Europe, you car was made in Detroit.  For others with the same question, if your patent or VN plate is still legible the answer is right there, the Canadian plant used a plate that said the car was made in Canada by Packard Motor Car Co. of Canada at Windsor, Ontario Canada; all the other say Packard Motor Car Company, Detroit Michigan.

post-93062-0-06653300-1442238362_thumb.j

Edited by Owen_Dyneto (see edit history)