1913 International Harvester Paint Preservation Question

MCHinson

A friend owns a 1913 International Harvester. He is interested in advice on the best method or product to use to preserve the existing paint on this early vehicle. Maintenance and rust preservation is his primary concern. I am attaching several photos to show the current condition. 

post-90592-0-42482400-1441818283_thumb.j

post-90592-0-07581500-1441818349_thumb.j

post-90592-0-37255500-1441818394_thumb.j

post-90592-0-88576400-1441818443_thumb.j

Guest Bob Call

I would think a good paste wax would be one way to preserve the originality and patina. The street rod people use a matte or semi gloss water base clear coat to preserve patina. Spraying with clear coat would require partial dis-assembly to get good coverage. Paste wax takes time and elbow grease.

Pour a cup of kerosene in a bucket of water and wipe it down.  Let this dry on the car.  This will protect the bare metal areas and give a nice sheen to the overall car and will not hurt the paint.  Others use linseed oil.  I'm not sure what they cut it with or if they apply it full strength.  If you use linseed oil, correctly dispose of the rags, as they can self ignite in a closed container.

Edited by 61polara (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I know a collector of blacksmith-made kitchen utensils - various knives, choppers etc.. He uses a mixture consisting of equal parts linseed, mineral turps and white vinegar to preserve them. It protects the metal for a few months depending on humidity. His are all in a climate controlled house so they have lasted years before needing recoating. Try this on something else first to see if it affects paint. The vinegar probably helps clean the rust and gives a slight etching effect.

• Like 1

Another thing I should have mentioned is to keep it out of UV light. This will preserve the paint, fabrics, tyres, woodwork and so on. If he wants to display it indoors, use LED lights that put out no UV. Marexim is a company domiciled in our little town that makes museum quality LED lamps, but you must be able to buy them from other sources.

And of course, keep it in the optimum humidity. Museum curators and conservators should be able to direct you to guidelines on this and of course you might ask the internet.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

2 parts boiled linseed oil , 1 part turpentine. The oil brings out the color and the turp makes so it drys and isn't sticky.Ive done it on many carriages and old preservation cars/trucks to make them shine and look good. It can be reapplied anytime but will last 1 year.

• Like 1