Repair manual for a 1909 maxwell

Guest jamesk

Hi, I am looking for a repair manual for a 1909 maxwell runabout
I am looking for a local older retired auto  maniac that lives in town here in Sutton's bay Michigan.
He has a 1909 maxwell he bought from from museum awhile back and need a repair manual for it.

He is looking for what "light oil" meant back in 1909 and info on timing etc. Thanks James

Edited by jamesk (see edit history)

• 3 months later...
Guest richentee

I do not believe any such thing (repair manual) exists...at least I have never seen one.  You are really on you own (or using help from others more experienced) here.

As far as items like "light oil" are concerned, in reality almost any motor oil today (30 wt, 10-30, 10-40, etc.) is likely to be of better quality than any oil from 1909.  As these runabouts are total loss oil systems, I wouldn't spend any money on quality oils, they don't recirculate in the motor, they just burn or drip away.

Heavy oils were for gears.

As I remember, oil is added to greased joints (the universals and the differential) as the cars were operated to keep everything soft there.  Critical to keep lubricated is the large pinion bearing at the front of the differential.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...