Breeze Carb Use

1910Hupp

Having recently  converted from the Holly NH conversion to the original Breeze Carb and manifold  I am finally getting to grips with driving the car . For starting I certainly need to richen the mixture by about  1/4 of a turn  even if the car is hot .  Once it  fires which it normally does on the first of second  pull I can turn the  carb back  1/4 turn  and it will continue to  run. The spring tension on the air  valve is very crucial - to much and it will never start and to little  means no acceleration and  a sensation like you are driving with the brakes on.!! Unlike the  Holly  the Breeze really does perform  better when the engine is hot . Warm up is  no longer just a good idea  but mandatory  for  lively performance . Overall I'm pretty  happy with the Breeze - Top end speed is  identical  to the Holly  but  acceleration  to get there is  not as brisk. Idle is much  better with the Breeze -But most importantly the Breeze is original  so will remain on the car !  Karl

• 2 weeks later...

Two more things the motor runs much colder . I  presumbe it was running lean on the Holley creating heat . And secondly it is a nightmare to start cold . I took it to work  last week   and the night was relatively cold ( it is still early spring here) I couldn't start it until I used the priming cups ! Karl

My Hupp has always run well on the Breeze, I do the same exact thing you do to start, flood the carb, turn knob about 1/4 turn richer, start, then adjust back (I have thumbwheel marked with light scratches, some had numbers).

Glad it's working well for you, they're fun little cars to drive! 

• 3 years later...

Phil - I suspect  that it is not getting  enough air .  The air valve was designed to feed more  air  at speed in response to the vacuum signal .

The Venturi  feeds too much fuel and not enough air at open throttle and the air valve is designed to  correct this . Try  backing off the air valve spring a little -Karl 

Edited by 1910Hupp (see edit history)