1967 Riviera GS Door Panel Removal

Guest taongisurvivor

Guest taongisurvivor

I am attempting to remove the driver's side door panel on a 1967 Riviera GS to gain access to the internal mechanicals as the driver's door will not open.  There is a video on YouTube showing the installation of the panel, but not the removal (simply reverse the steps, right?, nope, as some key steps are missing).  There is a chrome strip approximately 1/2" wide and running the horizontal length of the door panel that roughly separates the arm rest portion with the lower panel.  This strip has to be removed in order to gain access to holes which will allow removal of the small bolts securing the interior door handles.  I can see no screws holding this in place, so I am assuming that this is pried off, but I don't want to break anything as the panel is in excellent condition. 

Question 1:  How is this chrome strip removed?

Also, once everything is removed, how in the panel secured to the door frame.  Most cars I am familiar with have plastic "push pins" that fit into slots in the panel and are pushed into holes in the door frame structure.  To remove, a tool is inserted between the panel and the door frame every 6 - 8 inches and the pried outwards to detach.  While I think this is the process here, I again don't want to start prying and ruin an excellent door panel.

Question number 2:  How do you separate the door panel from the door frame structure??

Gordon

I don't recall any chrome trim needing pried off when removing the panel. A pic would be helpful to make sure you get accurate advice.

Panel is secured by many screws and nail-looking type pins in the door panel engaging in slotted plastic inserts in the door and can be separated by using a screw driver, gently. The plastic inserts are at the very front and rear of panel maybe a couple inches in. I think there are 3 front and 3 rear.

• 2 years later...

Regarding the chrome strip:  2.5 years hence I'm having the same problem, i.e., how do you remove the chrome strip.  There is a picture of it in the video posted on You Tube of a person installing the door panel.  You can see him screwing the handles on through the place in the door the chrome strip covers, but no mention is made of putting the chrome strip back on the door, or, more importantly, on how you get it off in the first place.