Starter problem

frank burns

I have a 1920 k45 6 cyl Buick with a problem that I have is engaging the starter. When pressing the

Foot pedal it only goes down partially . It doesn't happen all the time but mainly on the first

Start of the day . I can get it to engage the flywheel By putting the car in gear and push it a bit. Any

Help would be appreciated .

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Do you hear a soft slow clicking noise when you turn on the ignition before engaging the starter?

If your generator (not starter) brushes are worn, the starter/genterator will not rotate slowly with the engine not running but ignition on.

This slow rotation and the associated clicking noise is due to the starter/generator slowly rotating to allow the pinion gear and starter gear to mesh properly and then engage.  The actual clicking is the overriding clutch on the end of the starter generator doing its job.

An educated guess is that your generator brushes are worn and when they are, this slow rotation feature does not happen.

When running is the amp gauge showing 'charge'? 

• Like 1

Hey guys

Thank you for the feedback you have given me . It is quite a involved design ,maybe why

the Bendix type starter drive design has won . I suspect it was a inter corp battle between

Buick,Delco and GM.

As far as my problem is concerned or was concerned it was the adjustment nuts for

The shaft that controls the brush movement.

It now works but I still need to fine tune that adjustment. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks again

Frank