65 Antenna Question - Did they come stock like this?

Guest Rivdog

Went to a local cruise in tonight and met up with another 65 Riv. Mine is the red one. 

Anyway we got into a discussion about antennas. Mine goes into the body and his sticks out in the fully down position. He was saying his car (green one) has the correct stock antenna and it's designed not to go down all the way. If he is right why did Bill Mitchell and Buick allow an antenna to ruin the sleek lines of the car?

post-154459-0-78049900-1441411691_thumb.

post-154459-0-16260400-1441411709_thumb.

post-154459-0-80339700-1441411721_thumb.

Guest Dale in Vancouver

Yes, they stuck up like that originally. I have no idea why, but disliked it, so my '64 now has a fully retracted one, as yours does.

The guy with the green car has to proper 1st generation antenna, but I like yours better. 

The thing I dislike the most about the OE antenna is not how it looks when down but what it does to a car cover.  If you put a hole in the cover for the antenna, the wind will tear the cover at the hole - even if you reinforce it.  If you don't put a hole in, after a while the wind will. 

If you can get the panel off the inner fender and identify what kind of antenna is on your car, I'd be interested in knowing.

Ed

I find it amazing that Buick would put a retractable power antenna that doesn't fully retract. Was the technology not there to do that in 1965?

I've lost my bet but I'm more interested in knowing how and why this was approved as an acceptable design?

Guest Dale in Vancouver

Ed, Hi. I put a Hirschmann fully automatic on my car, which made the Antenna Switch redundant, bit of a shame, Oh well.  I had to shorten the underside of the chrome escutcheon a bit, and make a small insulation bushing to go in to the top -  without it the mast was grounded   (Ask me how I found that out !)    I also attached a bracket from the antenna base to the inner fender, below the original closure panel,  as it was too much of a fiddle to attach as original.    Cheers,  Dale.

Other GM cars during this era had antenna's that fully retracted and beginning with the second generation Riviera, it too fully retracted.  Ed brings up a good point.  I have been through a few car covers over the years due to this design as well.  Could never understand why it was designed this way.