1941 Buick hold up struts for trunk lid

Buicknutty

Hopefully someone here can help me.

I have a 1941 McLaughlin Buick, Roadmaster Coupe, being a McLaughlin, it is Canadian production, but is identical to the US model 76S.

So, the pair of struts that hold up the trunk lid are not working properly, when you lift the trunk open, they latch into place like they are supposed to do, and to close, one lifts up slightly and they are supposed to release and allow you to close the trunk. There's the issue, they don't, I have to reach into the inside of the strut and hold the catch out manually, and then close normally. I have taken one side off, as its' nearly impossible to do both sides and hold the lid open without it dropping on my head!

There seem to be small springs that help this simple system to work, but there are hidden to some extent inside the strut bar. I don't want to take it all apart without having some idea what I'm doing.

Has anyone else had this issue, and what have you done to fix it?

Thank you.

Keith

post-119367-0-41485700-1441331825_thumb.

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)

Hopefully someone here can help me.

I have a 1941 McLaughlin Buick, Roadmaster Coupe, being a McLaughlin, it is Canadian production, but is identical to the US model 76S.

So, the pair of struts that hold up the trunk lid are not working properly, when you lift the trunk open, they latch into place like they are supposed to do, and to close, one lifts up slightly and they are supposed to release and allow you to close the trunk. There's the issue, they don't, I have to reach into the inside of the strut and hold the catch out manually, and then close normally. I have taken one side off, as its' nearly impossible to do both sides and hold the lid open without it dropping on my head!

There seem to be small springs that help this simple system to work, but there are hidden to some extent inside the strut bar. I don't want to take it all apart without having some idea what I'm doing.

Has anyone else had this issue, and what have you done to fix it?

Thank you.

Keith.

Greetings Keith Those struts have springs that look like little "handle bar moustaches" which wear thin and usually one half breaks off. I bought some nos on eBay,but the seller knew what they had,25.00 each, which is the only place I've ever seen them for sale. I actually took the time and after a few attempts figured out away to remove and install without disassembling the telescoping strut. You must, however, gear up ultimate patience, becuz the slight bending and correct manipulation of the new springs is not readily apparent. I too thought, on well a good cleaning and lube might solve it. Look closely as you extend and retract and you'll probably find one side of that double curve spring gone. I'm quite surprised they last as long as they do,as they are very thin

PS I think the 41 may have a different shape spring, I did 39 and 40 so far.

attachicon.gif41Buick1Nov14_sml.jpg

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

Hi.  I have the same issue w my '41 Super.  Spring is broken/now lost.  Any luck finding any?

vr

Bob

Hi Bob I found some replacement springs on ebay,(expensive) then taught myself how to take the broken ones out and insert the new ones without disassembly, to correct how they operate. Frustrating but doable, but I don't know how to describe how to do it it without being in person showing someone! The springs are very thin and shaped like a tiny compound bow one would shoot arrows with. After so many years of use they wear thin enuff so an end breaks off, then you have the maddening process of fighting with that heavy trunk lid described in the gentlemen's post who lucked out, I hope, with just cleaning. That little spring, I'm thinking, was never designed with a 70+ year life cycle initially, by the engineers at Buick. It would be nice, if someone has some nos stock they forgot about or just hoarding, like we all do in the name of "collecting", I could try to post pics of what Im doing to repair one of my trunk struts with the last new spring I found on eBay. Doesn't make much sense if someone hasn't found exact replacements, cuz I don't know of any other way to fix struts with broken springs besides a broomstick as a substitute prop, like my friend was doing before I fixed his! Anyone know of extra replacement springs out there. Alot of folks with broken ones would be grateful I'm sure!

Hey, 2carb40, that is interesting, thanks for sharing. As I said, mine "usually" work right now, but not always, and I am thinking that the springs are not doing their job. This would be a good subject for a you tube style video showing how to do it if any of us get into replacement.

Keith