What treatment is safe for original '41 Buick woodgrain dash?

Kenneth Carr

I have a 1941 Buick Roadmaster. It runs well but only the essential wiring is reliable. So, it is time for me to attempt to remove the dash and instrument panel. If I can do that I will likely purchase a wiring harness and go to work.

At the same time, my dash has almost no woodgrain left at all. I do have two spare dashes, one of which has about 75% of its woodgrain. I'd like to swap that one for my old one at the same time I am putting in a new wiring harness.

Question: What chemicals (wax, polish, vinyl conditioner .. ArmAll, etc.) are safe for the original woodgrain? I would like to treat the replacement dash now so as to preserve what I have.

Some photos are attached so as to give you a better idea of what I am working with.

The "OrigDash" photos show what is in the car now. The "ReplaceDash" show my spare. Although the spare is better it does have streaks in it. Any touchup suggestions would be welcome.

post-154270-0-26176700-1441308808_thumb.post-154270-0-36630600-1441308812_thumb.post-154270-0-54599100-1441308820_thumb.post-154270-0-36437900-1441308824_thumb.

Thanks!

Roadmaster,

Here is what I would try. Since you have multiple dashes, I would take the worst one and attempt to re-finish it with a new wood grain pattern. There are quite a few videos on YouTube that show several different methods, using different tools and proceedures. If you find you can paint a replacement that you are happy with then install it, if not then use the best of your stock.

Good luck,

Glenn Manes

Wheat Ridge CO

Roadmaster,

Here is what I would try. Since you have multiple dashes, I would take the worst one and attempt to re-finish it with a new wood grain pattern.

Glenn .... that was my plan B and I may just do that. All the interior trim woodgrain has to be done anyways. I have been researching techniques. It looks like a good primer followed by a brown base and final wipe with stain is the way to go. I just have to line up the best paints (will likely use spray cans) and experiment.

Thanks!