WTB for '42 Packard

Restorer32

Add overdrive.  No lower ratio that 3.90 that I can think of.  Wait....what model?  Different rears 6 & 8 cylinder.  Another brain spark, the 3.54 ratio for the 8cyl axle.  I don't believe they ever made it into re/production?  Even so, back to my original comment, add overdrive.  What?  You already have overdrive??  Overdrives often had 4.36 or 4.30 factory gears, so at least you can drop down to 4.09/4.1 pretty easily?   OK, enough typing...more information on what you have/want please.

4.09 with overdrive would be your most direct, driveable route.  I changed to a 3.54 axle, no overdrive, and unless I am trying to keep up with Mark on the interstate, I feel a 4.09 with overdrive would be an equally satisfactory combination - that is what I drive in the 38 hotrod, but that has a 53-327 in it....way different motor.

And would be pretty much a factory correct installation.

With the 4.7 and overdrive, my 1952 Henney-Packard Nu-3-Way at 6200 lbs. would nearly spin the tires and still drive all day at 80 mph as it did to and from Freeport, IL for a national Professional Car Society meet. My '51 Combination at 5600 lbs, on the other hand, without overdrive and the 4.54 rear, hardly had any take-off from a stop, no power on hills and topped comfortably at only 65 mph or so.

Edited by Packard Don (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

I found the ring and pinion set in my shop, which is apparently 4.1 ratio. I've not yet looked it up in the parts book but the pinion has 373214-4.1 followed by 1-49. The ring has 373217-39-10 followed by 11-5 and 26399. I presume they are late '40s so probably wouldn't do you much good. They are NOS but all machined surfaces would need polishing due to the long storage.

Edited by Packard Don (see edit history)