1932 Pontiac "Split-Head" six starter

Vintagecarguy

Hello all, my grandfather wanted me to see if any one has working starter for our 1932 Pontiac or knows where to find one. I have checked the engine number and it is actually a 1931 engine but I don't think it is all that different. Also, does anyone know if a 1930s Chevy starter would work in a Pontiac? Thanks in advance.

Vintagecarguy.

I believe Chevs  used a bendix drive so they are totally different. At least they did in 26-28 when Pontiac used the same starter.  What is wrong with your starter?  Armatures are available as they were used in Pontiacs and flat head Chryslers for years.  Field coils can be rewound or are often available.  Any decent electrical rebuilder shop should be able to rebuild your starter in a couple of days.

I believe Chevs  used a bendix drive so they are totally different. At least they did in 26-28 when Pontiac used the same starter.  What is wrong with your starter?  Armatures are available as they were used in Pontiacs and flat head Chryslers for years.  Field coils can be rewound or are often available.  Any decent electrical rebuilder shop should be able to rebuild your starter in a couple of days.

Tinindian, There really is nothing wrong with our starter, the only "problem" is that the Pinion gear sometimes doesn't always retract and when you press on the pedal again the starter spins but the pinion does not engage, until you pull back on the starter pedal and then it works. This isn't really a problem for me but my grandfather wanted me to ask.

Thank you for your reply. Vintagecarguy.

Maybe you have something dragging between the pedal and the starter.  Or else maybe the spring on the starter drive housing needs replacing. Maybe the bushing in the housing (where the lever that moves the drive pivots) is worn and binds.  It is probably something real simple.

Maybe you have something dragging between the pedal and the starter.  Or else maybe the spring on the starter drive housing needs replacing. Maybe the bushing in the housing (where the lever that moves the drive pivots) is worn and binds.  It is probably something real simple.

Tinindian, thank you for your advice. The pedal was very stiff when we got the car because it had been sitting out for some time before we got it, so we oiled it and it got better. The only time it really seems to stick though is after the engine starts, when you go to use the starter again it spins but doesn't engage, but it works again after you lift up on the pedal with your hand or foot. When I had the starter off it was only the pinion gear that seemed to stick everything else seemed to work fine.

Thank you again for your advice. Vintagecarguy.