auburns, cords, or duisenburgs used for a dam story.

benjamin j

I remember reading about auburns, cords, and or Duisenberg’s being used for a temporary dam in auburn Indiana.  I think it may have been just auburns or cords. There was an article in the auburn museum on this topic. Last night I was looking around on the internet for that story and could not find anything on it.  I know a lot of the cars were experimental or prototypes and they had v12s and some had v16s. Do any of you guys know much of this story or where to find more info? 

The only cars involved were some Cord 810  prototypes / "show cars" convertible bodys. These were cars built in 1935 (36 models) for various big car manufacturers' shows and for dealer display. Some were not operable. Many of the sedans were updated and later sold to employees at discounts. The convertibles were not useable as they lacked the necessary added bracing/structure to make them safe as "real" cars. Some of these convertible bodys were used as fill in a dam / flood control project on the Rock River in Connersville, Indiana ( site of Cord  810/812 production). In 1980, some enthusiasts unearthed what was left of one.

Josh Malks wrote several books about the Cord 810/812, and he recounts the story in those books.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

• 1 month later...