Favorite cars of the 70s-80s? Like to hear what the general thoughts are..

Guest LuxDriver

Guest LuxDriver

Other than the known muscle car favs from this era.. What cars are the most collectible to you guys and why?? Interested in hearing what cars capture your attention..

Some of our older members may say "None!"

But I appreciate 1970's cars, and believe it or

not, some would be very hard to find if one were

searching for them.

To begin, I'll volunteer the 1977-79 Lincoln Mark V's,

which are already very popular among Lincoln fans.

I don't think there is a current car that rides as comfortably

as a Lincoln of that era.

Many Lincolns were saved, so they are extraordinarily common,

even with low mileage.

Guest LuxDriver

Id agree with those.. Not sure what year Cutlass was discussed but they were nice in their segment.. The Mark Vs I dont think reached their appeal as of yet. They are huge land yatchs.. But mostly well proportioned and appointed. When I compare them to their competitors they seem to have a bit more fit and finish pluses..

Endurance is always a factor to me. What survives tells us what we cared to fix ,or save, as a culture. Cars that made a statement to us. It's also a nod to the car's road worthiness by lasting this long.

At Car Shows we love being dazzled and entertained..which cars will do that for us in the future? What about the Toro XSR (I believe that's the wrap around window one)from 77/78, and the mid 80's Riviera converts (82-85?) ??

Id agree with those.... The Mark Vs I don't think reached their appeal as of yet. 

Within the Lincoln and Continental Owners' Club, 1977-79

Lincolns and Lincoln Mark V's (along with 1960's models)

have become, I observe, the most popular cars.

Most are still quite inexpensive and, with so many

around, one practically has his choice of colors.

U. S. cars up through 1972 are fairly popular, but once

you reach 1973, the popularity of the models drops off.

The big government front bumpers came in 1973, and

they were coupled with weaker performance and

lower gas mileage from emissions regulations.

But I still like them, and they are slowly gaining popularity. 

A 1975-76 Buick Electra is another model I like.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Having a few 70's cars and one 80's car in my collection, many parts are none existent! Trim and plastic interior parts especially, for that fact alone I would not purchase one unless it is pristine. 

I wanted to buy a Cosworth Vega when new, and picked one up a few years ago. I like the car a lot! A lot of fun to drive but everything I heard about them as far as problems when new I found to be true.I feel that the reputation has kept the price down to a realistic number. It turns many heads and is very comfortable and I am not a small (in girth) guy. It is a fall and spring car because it is HOT car to ride in. I do have to say I do like GM's H body's of that era, just becaue they are different 

I also have an 85 Caprice wagon I use while at my home in Florida, really nice road car and it is 30 years old, with creature comforts. I not a fan of driving it on the interstate, I am not on the same field with today's cars, they drive at 80+ mph with no effort at 70 it feels a like you are driving fast.

The BIG Caddy's of the 70 really interest me also, and was toying with buying one for my Fla car. After looking at the A/C system i know some of those one off parts have to be non existant or with a big$$ cost if and when you can find them. They still make a statement today as they did then. I was really surprised that they are really not that expensive and there is also a large amount of quality cars around  

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

I think the non-1976 Eldorado convertibles represent a TON of car for the money. You can still get a VERY nice 1971-1974 Eldo convertible for well under $20 grand and they're powerful, smooth, comfortable cars with all the bells and whistles. Some of the tech is questionable (the tops are fussy and I always had trouble with the automatic climate control in mine) but I couldn't argue with the way it drove. The '76s are priced all out of proportion to what they are, so get any other year and save 50% for what is otherwise an identical car, particularly the '75s, which are considerably less common than the '76s.

I'm not a huge C3 Corvette fan personally, but you probably can't get a bigger bang for the buck than a late '70s 'Vette. Clean, low-mileage cars are available in the $teens. Upgrades in the horsepower department are a phone call away and most have been babied and not beat on, mostly because of wheezing engines that just can't make enough power to abuse.

The Grand Nationals are already pretty hot collectables, but the one I want to own is a standard Regal with a T-Type engine. Forget the Darth Vader look, I want grandma's car with a padded roof and button-tufted seats and a snarling turbo under the hood...

Guest LuxDriver

Well the 70 Eldo I recently turned on to..the thin tail lights and avail sunroof, but as with the 67 no factory vinyl roof can be very nice with elegantly simple lines.

Yes,the 71-75 Eldo converts can be bought at a decent dollar. I remember when I lived in Manhattan ..the young Euro "20 somethings" from (financially able families) preferred 74,in odd colors..I've owned some similar autos but the tranny, and front end , tires, were expensive to keep and redo. The leathers seemed to last, while steering wheels,dashes,and door panel armrests often crack.. So the interiors otherwise endure just not all the plastic pieces..top boots go missing..but they're around still.

Not exactly answering the OP's question, but nevertheless got me reminiscing.

Our cars of that era:

71 Monte Carlo, me

A string of Suburbans, both of us

79 911, wife

85-6-7-ish Audi 4000 Quattro, me, then wife

85 Monte Carlo SS, me

85 Mustang GT, me

A bunch of Jeep Grand Cherokees, wife

I second the 70, 71 Torino {I had a 70, 429 C.J. many years ago} and also the 72.  71,2,and 3 Mustangs are also looking better to me despite thinking of them as too big for a long time.  Actually lots of the final gen "muscle cars " up to 73/74. era.

Greg in Canada

I like most of the full-size luxury cars from the 1970's. Imperial, Chrysler New Yorker, Cadillacs. Lincolns, even not quite luxury Buick LeSabre and Electra, Oldsmobile 88 amd 98, Mercury Marquis. Especially with 2 doors on all of them. The boattail Rivieras of 1971-73 are also sharp. The muscle cars are not of interest to me, and we already have a new crop of muscle cars that will blow the old ones away. But we will never see full-size cars like that again, especially not with 2 doors. What they claim is full-size now barely would have passed for a compact back then. The personal luxury coupes were usually nice too, even if there was more hype than actual luxury. Not to mention all of them were all available in actual colors, interior and exterior, not just shades of gray like everything is now.

The 1977 and up GM's are too boxy, and not as interesting to me. Although I would take a 1980-84 full-size 2 door GM over anything built today. And the 1979-85 Eldorado, Toronado, and Riviera were probably the best looking of any downsizing ever done. Especially after the Riviera started losing its way in 1974 and even more so in 1977. The Town Car, Marquis, and Crown Vic of the 1980's were also too boxy. However Chrysler really had nothing much of interest at all in the 1980's.

Foreign cars I have never been a fan of. And I certainly wouldn't be interested in any from this era.

Edited by LINC400 (see edit history)

Other than Muscle cars, the '71 and '72 Impala or Caprice.

Although they had a few flaws, they were well built, very durable, reliable cars. 

They also got pretty good mileage for a large car (up to 24 Hi-way).

I liked them so much for every day drivers that we had 5 in a row.  We drove those cars for 21 years straight.  Two were at the same time.  I would drive them anywhere.  Not like today, where we'll rent a car for long trips, lol. 

Bill

I think what LuxD is referring to are the less loved post 1972-1990 cars. So here are some cars that some on the forum will not like:

1) Any Mustang, excluding the Mustang II

2) 1975-76 Chrysler Cordoba

3) 1983- Ford T-Bird. While the Fox bodied cars were a little cramped, the TB was a styling trend setter, far superior to the boxy cars that GM and Chrysler were trying to sell.

4} Buick Grand National- The Darth Vader look in the fastest car around just works for me!

5) 1970- Datsun 240Z-280Z

6) Jaguar sedans, XJ6, XJ12- SGP (space, grace and pace) for those who have driven one, when it was right, there is nothing more that needs to be said. For folks that never will drive one, it is a combination of a car of unmatched beauty and balanced chassis, with it's independent rear suspension, four wheel disc brakes and 140 MPH capability, with real interior comfort. Jaguar was just simply doing things differently then anyone else was during this era!

Guest bkazmer

I think what LuxD is referring to are the less loved post 1972-1990 cars. So here are some cars that some on the forum will not like:

1) Any Mustang, excluding the Mustang II

2) 1975-76 Chrysler Cordoba

3) 1983- Ford T-Bird. While the Fox bodied cars were a little cramped, the TB was a styling trend setter, far superior to the boxy cars that GM and Chrysler were trying to sell.

4} Buick Grand National- The Darth Vader look in the fastest car around just works for me!

5) 1970- Datsun 240Z-280Z

6) Jaguar sedans, XJ6, XJ12- SGP (space, grace and pace) for those who have driven one, when it was right, there is nothing more that needs to be said. For folks that never will drive one, it is a combination of a car of unmatched beauty and balanced chassis, with it's independent rear suspension, four wheel disc brakes and 140 MPH capability, with real interior comfort. Jaguar was just simply doing things differently then anyone else was during this era!

1) agree on exclusion (Pinto coupe)

2) I'd add the later Dodge Magnum with the not so mighty 360 option

3) and the Lincoln coupe twin

4) already recognized

5) 240>260>280   Not ZX

6) skip the sedans - XJS 

7) Imperial coupe?

Other than the known muscle car favs from this era.. What cars are the most collectible to you guys and why?? Interested in hearing what cars capture your attention..

My list would be too long. There are a ton of great cars domestic and foreign.

As John says; watch out for plastic parts. A note on plastic though. Plastic not only looses color, it can become brittle and flakey. I have found that trim pieces that do not have a lot of direct contact like A, B, C, pillar finishers, kick panels and sometimes replacement dash pads and rear parcel shelves can all be treated with latex primer, and the colors can be matched at the paint store and sprayed on. You need to use gloss or semi gloss so that they can be washed though.

"Favorite" or "Collectible"  ?  Two different things maybe? 

Edited by Pomeroy41144 (see edit history)

There aren't many from the 70's I'm a huge fan of honestly besides some of the Mustangs, Firebirds, etc. I do like the Plymoth Superbird though. (I do like Super Beetles ;).) As said before, Cutlasses are also fantastic cars as well. Karmann Ghias anyone? Porsches for sure! (Keep editing this post because I'm thinking of more cars lol.)

Edited by Jacob (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

I think various Rivs throughout the 70's and 80's will find their way into solid collector car status- some have already.  Any of the Turbo Buick models should come of age.  The big Buick convertibles especially flashy loaded ones. The big Electra's & Electra Park Aves are starting to bring good money in the market, especially low mileage loaded ones.  And finally the Reatta.

I think various Rivs throughout the 70's and 80's will find their way into solid collector car status- some have already.  Any of the Turbo Buick models should come of age.  The big Buick convertibles especially flashy loaded ones. The big Electra's & Electra Park Aves are starting to bring good money in the market, especially low mileage loaded ones.  And finally the Reatta.

You got that right.And........ There is nothing like, nor will ever be again a full size stingray.

http://cdn.barrett-jackson.com/staging/carlist/items/Fullsize/Cars/132844/132844_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

My Grandpa had always bought new Impala's every few years. He had bought a new 1970 when I was around 5 years old. It was a beautiful silver car with a dark blue vinyl top and blue interior. My Dad had bought it from him, a few years later. A lot of great memories from that era, and I remember a lot of stuff could be put in the trunk, lol! That being said, I've always been drawn to Impala's from the 60's thru mid 70's. We've also had an El Camino or two in the family, and I've owned about every year from 64 to the 80's. About every car I look for, or buy now, is either one I had when I was a kid, or something my Dad always liked.

My Grandpa had always bought new Impala's every few years. He had bought a new 1970 when I was around 5 years old. It was a beautiful silver car with a dark blue vinyl top and blue interior. My Dad had bought it from him, a few years later. A lot of great memories from that era, and I remember a lot of stuff could be put in the trunk, lol! That being said, I've always been drawn to Impala's from the 60's thru mid 70's. We've also had an El Camino or two in the family, and I've owned about every year from 64 to the 80's. About every car I look for, or buy now, is either one I had when I was a kid, or something my Dad always liked.

Yes, 1970 Chevrolet Impala and Caprice....actually the whole full size line up. Look at this 1970 Caprice and 1972 Caprice Impala. Both those cars have the LOOK, FEEL, RIDE of Cadillac;

http://www.lov2xlr8.no/dailycap/bilder/70caprice1.jpg

http://hdwallpapers.cat/wallpaper/1972_chevrolet_caprice_coupe_transport_cars_hd-wallpaper-974187.jpg

I think a lot of people have forgot just how nice these cars were;

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/1758/1481/29393240001_large.jpg

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

One of my '72's was exactly like the one in the link, except mine was different colors.

Had a 400 Small Block, the regular PS, PB and AC along with PW, Power Seat and Factory AM-FM. 

The only car I ever bought from a dealer (local independent lot). 

Was asking $1295, I offered $1000 Cash and it was mine.  This was back in 1990. 

Car was in real nice shape and rode like new. 

Edited by 62BillT (see edit history)

Some 1970's cars may have had reasonable

production numbers, but I challenge you to

find nice examples of some of them today!

The following cars are in that category, and

I truly find them interesting:

Late 1970's Oldsmobile Cutlass or Buick Century fastback coupes.

The notchback coupes (and sedans) far outsold the fastbacks.

1974 Mercury Marquis.  I like that one-year-only grille.

1976-78 Dodge Royal Monaco station wagons.  A good-looking

wagon, though late-1970's Chrysler product reliability wasn't

noteworthy. 

post-91841-0-11290200-1441236775_thumb.j

post-91841-0-32117400-1441239265_thumb.j

post-91841-0-06158600-1441239321_thumb.j

• Like 1

Some 1970's cars may have had reasonable

production numbers, but I challenge you to

find nice examples of some of them today!

The following cars are in that category, and

I truly find them interesting:

Late 1970's Oldsmobile Cutlass or Buick Century fastback coupes.

The notchback coupes (and sedans) far outsold the fastbacks.

1974 Mercury Marquis.  I like that one-year-only grille.

1976-78 Dodge Royal Monaco station wagons.  A good-looking

wagon, though late-1970's Chrysler product reliability wasn't

noteworthy. 

John, did you happen to see the October 2015 the article in Collectible Automobile on The Ups and Downs of the 1973-74 Mercury? Some nice cars in that photo spread, plus the prototypes that were done until the final models were chosen.

John, did you happen to see the October 2015 the article in Collectible Automobile on The Ups and Downs of the 1973-74 Mercury? Some nice cars in that photo spread, plus the prototypes that were done until the final models were chosen.

Now that you mention it, yes.  I was happy to see

that article.  It has many good pictures, though as I recall,

the text basically duplicated everything I could already

find in a car brochure and in Krause's Standard Catalog.

I bought a 1975 Lincoln Town Coupe, but for a while

I was keeping my eyes open for a '74 Mercury Marquis--

probably quite similar under the skin--and could never

find a nice one, or hardly one in any condition at all!

U. S. cars up through 1972 are fairly popular, but once

you reach 1973, the popularity of the models drops off.

The big government front bumpers came in 1973, and

they were coupled with weaker performance and

lower gas mileage from emissions regulations.

For an 'American looking' car that falls between 1973 and 1981, I'll go 'outside the box' and search 'Down Under'.  (Only possible exception for me is the 1973 Grand Am)

Australia had some great looking cars from that era made by the (once) Big Three without the encumbrances of those ugly 5-mph bumpers and smog-choked engines, while most of the two-door models were true hardtops.  My choice are the Ford LTD Landaus for a 2-door hardtop.  http://www.aussiecoupes.com/landau.html  And if I want a Lincoln, I'll take a 1979 LTD P6 Town Car.  Chrysler also made some nice cars from the times, including the Valiant Charger coupe.

Craig

Not sure about less loved but a pretty eclectic mix here due to different tastes. TR6, MB R107 chassis SL, 79 to 85 caddy,riviera, and late 70s Z28, T/A and vettes come to mind, but I would likely only pursue the first two at this time. The caddy is unlikely and the muscle cars represent desire from youth.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)