Speedo error

Guest wheelsport

Guest wheelsport

As some of you may remember, I had quite a hard time with my speedo. I finally

found a used one that showed 129K. It works well except it reads about 10mph

high when I clock my speed at 60mph. The car has the right size tires. I sure

this has something to do with the speed sensor. What could be causing this?

Guest Coronet440

Mine always reads about 4-5 mph higher than what I'm actually going as well. I've wondered if its because the needle got turned out of place.

As some of you may remember, I had quite a hard time with my speedo. I finally

found a used one that showed 129K. It works well except it reads about 10mph

high when I clock my speed at 60mph. The car has the right size tires. I sure

this has something to do with the speed sensor. What could be causing this?

You are therefor saying that when your needle is indicating 60 MPH, you are actually doing 50?

If that is the case, have you done anything with the Distance (speed) Sensor like exchange it for another or change the gear on the sensor?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wheelsport

Yes, that's correct. I have done nothing with the speed sensor. I just replaced the speedo head. I'm

not sure what this speedo is out of but it is exactly the same as the original. For awhile, before I

located the speedo I'm using now, I used the speedo out of my '88 LeBaron which read pretty close to

being accurate while it was in the car.

OK, the best way to test for any error in the speedometer / odometer is to find a road with a measured mile or more. 5 miles would be better. The more measured miles the more accurate your comparison would be.

Make note of odometer reading or reset to 00.0 to begin with and drive the measured distance.

If the odometer reads at or near to the miles covered then the fault lyes with the speed needle. Some people remove the speed needle when they replace the odometer gears, though that is not necessary. If the needle has been removed, then it was not reinstalled correctly.

The only thing you can do is remove the cluster, gain access to the speedometer needle and remove it. Then it will be trial and error until you find the position to place the needle at to get it to read correctly at your desired speed.

Look at your LeBaron speedometer to see where the needle rests when the car is stopped, begin at that position on your TC.

Guest wheelsport

The needle on my speedo rests right on zero when stopped. According to radar my speed is 22-23 when the speedo reads 25. The error increases as speed increases. Obviously, I haven't driven at 125 so I don't

know if it will be right on 125 at full sweep. I have timed the speedo for speed and find the results I have mentioned but haven't compared the mileage to the speed.

When working on the speedo, the instructions for installing the needle say that when the needle is

installed correctly, it will rest at zero and be at 125 when it is moved to full sweep. I could pull

the speedo and adjust the needle to read below zero to maybe get it to read at sixty when actually

going 60 but it probably won't be correct at lower speeds. My next step is to compare the speed to the odometer.

Thanks for the help

• 1 month later...
Guest wheelsport

Hemi,

Your last comment to me about my speedo error was if the odo was correct. Sorry to be so late in

responding. Sadly my eyes aren't what they used to be 20 years ago and I had a hard time reading the odo

unless the light was just right. I took quite awhile before I was able to finally see the numbers to

determine the correctness. The odo is right on. Is there an adjustment on the speed sensor that can be

made?